GT42 build done and running.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
X-man said:
Thank you for clearing that up. I couldn't remember whether or not that was a built engine or not. I believe I could have hit that with my 67 if I had about 500 more rpm on the rev limit back then. Any ETA's on when yours will be out and about. I have seen some of the pictures and you guys have done a beautiful job as always.

I will try to get a video of the car running soon. Right now I've got to go slap the idiot tuning the thing.

Ouch, that hurt.

Sean

Once the Motec is installed, I am thinking end of Jan ish :D

Jake: The 42 will put out a lil more power than the T88 I have and should spool similar too.

Duane

blkt72

Aug 14, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
Reign_Maker said:
Sean.... damn man... Cant wait to see some vid and get some numbers off that turbo... I was thinking of goin with a gt42, but I thought it might be too big, so Im interested in how well this turbo reacts to our 7Ms...

I'm worried it's too small and I've got about the same setup.

It's looking great Sean, you're a couple months ahead of me :-(

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
NashMan said:
hummmmm so what the power band goig to be 1500 rpm or more your a mad man

I've set the rev limit on my AEM to 7500 rpm. If it makes full boost at 5000 to 5200 rpm this will be about a 2300 to 2500 rpm power band. My SP67 made full boost at around 4600 to 4800 rpm and the factory rev limit was 6700 rpm, so it won't be much of a trade off as far as that goes.

As far as the turbo being to small as said before I eventually want either a GT42 with an 80 mm inducer wheel in it or a GT45R with the 80 mm option. The GT45R is about a 2300.00 to 2400.00 dollar turbo where as the GT42-80 is about 1500.00. The GT45R has a different designed turbine wheel also. This is down the road alittle ways though.

Sean

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
sean, although you are talking about powerband.. believe me your first gear will suck.. .the fact that you have to rev the piss out of it to go anywhere blows.

you may want to consider a 4:30 gear to get you moving in to the powerband off boost faster.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Zazzn said:
sean, although you are talking about powerband.. believe me your first gear will suck.. .the fact that you have to rev the piss out of it to go anywhere blows.

you may want to consider a 4:30 gear to get you moving in to the powerband off boost faster.

There is always the antilag feature on the AEM where I can launch at 30 psi if I want to kill the life of my turbo.:naughty: My car has 3.90's in it now so if anything as Dr.J stated I would probably go to with 3.73's.

Sean

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
boostadikt said:
....... did you just wake up one morning and decide to fuck everyone else and make them look stupid? cuz its working

;)

Do it X-Man!! With 637rwhp on stock internals and still going strong you're re-writing the book on the 7MGTE. Tells me every component of your build-up has been carefully thought out, and executed. Best of luck to you!

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
drjonez said:
probably not.

a higher (numerical) gear will only make appearant lag WORSE. lower gear = more load = faster spool.

yes but it takes SO long to get in to boost that actually having the lower gearing helps because his turbo probably won't make any significant boost in first gear.

:aigo:

Believe me first gear with my 3.9 was faster when i finally got to boost but with the 4.3 it made it so much more reponsive on the engine.. The faster I got though first to get 2nd or 3. The better it was because the car was a snail until i hit boost.

I mean SNAIL 80 WHP according to the dyno lol. cams on a 1jz which loose low end really doesn't help since the engine has no low end to begin with.

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
X-man said:
There is always the antilag feature on the AEM where I can launch at 30 psi if I want to kill the life of my turbo.:naughty: My car has 3.90's in it now so if anything as Dr.J stated I would probably go to with 3.73's.

Sean

I have anti lag on my aem as well, I guess it's just that I want something diffrent. I'd rather more low end mid range and have to add nitrous ontop of my turbo if i needed extra power, rather then spooling the turbo with it.

Gt42 spools faster then one would think though... It's suprisingly fast on my friends 7m compaired to the size of the housings.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
Zazzn said:
I have anti lag on my aem as well, I guess it's just that I want something diffrent. I'd rather more low end mid range and have to add nitrous ontop of my turbo if i needed extra power, rather then spooling the turbo with it.

yep and thats great. everyone wants something different in what they want the car to do.

myself, i really dont care what kind of power im making down low on the street. heck it takes 2k rpm just to get my car to move w/ the high stall converter. 4k+ is where its at for me. but see with my setup i didnt want to run too big of a turbo because i have stock redline and while my converter is pretty loose, running too big i cant spool like i want when i stall it up.

sean is somewhat similar in his views. he isnt one to get real excited about low end power. he would rather the turbo hit like a hammer and make the passenger puke lol. if you remember, he liked the .81 housing on his sp67 vs the .68. it was a little softer on the bottom end, but the turbo hit harder and made it more manageable to drive/launch in low rpm.

but like i said, everyone wants something different and even w/ the same turbo 2 cars arent gonna behave the same. a lot comes into play.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Zazzn said:
yes but it takes SO long to get in to boost that actually having the lower gearing helps because his turbo probably won't make any significant boost in first gear.

:aigo:

Believe me first gear with my 3.9 was faster when i finally got to boost but with the 4.3 it made it so much more reponsive on the engine.. The faster I got though first to get 2nd or 3. The better it was because the car was a snail until i hit boost.

I mean SNAIL 80 WHP according to the dyno lol. cams on a 1jz which loose low end really doesn't help since the engine has no low end to begin with.

you have your exp, i have mine. i can post up dyno graphs showing a 200+ RPM difference in the entire curve just based on a diff ratio change.

it's a matter of actual spool vs. appearant spool- a higher numerical diff will make it FEEL like you're getting into boost faster....

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I'm not sure which one would be the bigger accomplishment: Making 639rwhp on stock internals with a stock ECU. Or potentially making 700+rwhp on stock internals with AEM ecu. Either way, 630+ rwhp is pretty incredible for a stock internaled engine; Something many import and domestic engines can not acheive without blowing up on there first dyno tune.