GT4088R, lost after 80KM of use. Bad luck.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Flateric;1460539 said:
makes a very strong argument NOT to get a Garrett BB turbo of any type.

Because you broke one from a piece of debris flying through your exhaust is a reason to not buy *the best* turbos on the market? Okay...

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ok, well here it all is then.

If I had to do it all again, Garrett BB turbo's would not be on my list of choices for turbo chargers.

Why? I have had the turbo at a Garrett authorized repair center and they have verified that there is no damage to this turbo other than the exhaust side wheel. Cost to repair it?

Exactly the same cost it was to buy originally, thats right 1700 for the repair of the exhaust wheel.

This is insane. Not at all within the realm of reason at all.

So, if I were to choose again I would choose ANY other brand other than Garrett due to the cost of repairs being much more reasonable for any other brand.

Garrett, great turbo, unless you have any issue or problem with it, then you may as well just buy another one new. And at the premium that these guys cost over other turbo's this is not at all acceptable.

Mark Conte

Supramania Contributor
nosechunks;1460381 said:
Even if your wastegate was good a nice boost leak will increase the speed of the turbine to maintain same boost.

Very unfortunate. Keep us filled in on what happens.

The beatings I have seen Garrett Ball Bearing units take is staggering. (obviously there are rare failures) but a small boost leak will not over speed a ball bearing Garrett cartridge to the point of failure at a low boost setting. You are correct though about the turbo accelerating to make target with a boost leak.

nick88;1460342 said:
I would contact Garrett, cause that is what like 45-50 miles on a turbo before it blows.

pln;1460400 said:
garrett dont give warranty on ball bearing turbos. At least thats the info I got from dealers here.

I think you have to have pretty big boostleak to damage turbo and you probably would have heard it. I have had some boostleaks without misshaps.. but ofcourse its not healthy.

Flateric;1460539 said:
I have been told that the wheel itself is the only damage to the turbo, no bearing, shaft, seal or front compressor wheel damage. The front compressor side did not collide with the housing at any point either. Oh, and rear housing is completely undamaged also. Litterally just the exhaust wheel show is done and nothing further.

I have been told a few different things as far as cost to repair goes. Even as high as almost the cost of the turbo itself, is this right? Anyone know if the cost to repair a damaged exhaust wheel for a Garrett BB turbo is really only $100 less than buying an outright new one?

That seems insane to me, not even reasonable and if this is the case it makes a very strong argument NOT to get a Garrett BB turbo of any type.

Poodles;1460854 said:
No, because cost of rebuild is rediculous. Reading comprehension...

Flateric;1461247 said:
Ok, well here it all is then.

If I had to do it all again, Garrett BB turbo's would not be on my list of choices for turbo chargers.

Why? I have had the turbo at a Garrett authorized repair center and they have verified that there is no damage to this turbo other than the exhaust side wheel. Cost to repair it?

Exactly the same cost it was to buy originally, thats right 1700 for the repair of the exhaust wheel.

This is insane. Not at all within the realm of reason at all.

So, if I were to choose again I would choose ANY other brand other than Garrett due to the cost of repairs being much more reasonable for any other brand.

Garrett, great turbo, unless you have any issue or problem with it, then you may as well just buy another one new. And at the premium that these guys cost over other turbo's this is not at all acceptable.

Not to pour salt on the wound, but this is not AT ALL Garrett's fault. That's big time FOD as you can see the fins hugely damaged and mushroomed over. Ball bearing units generally cannot be rebuilt at all, regardless of manufacturer, and a turbine is basically the largest part of the turbo you could damage, as it's a one piece shaft that goes from the turbine all the way through the cartridge through the compressor wheel.

If you would have thrown rocks through a PTE bb turbo you would have run into the same thing. The only turbo company that has a warranty is Turbonetics. If you stuff a rabbit through your compressor and chunk it up, they will say, here you go sir, have your brand new turbo. (as long as it's within 1 year from purchase date).

We just today pulled apart a customer's 4088R and his also had FOD on the turbine wheel. The reason you are being quoted so high is because that's what it costs. You need a new CHRA, not a rebuild, which retails for $1816.49, the turbo brand new (which is the same things with a pair of housings) is $2274.60 so there is a $458.11 difference. Mind you these are MSRP so market price is a bit less but the point is, it's a fantastic turbo and yes it's not cheap.

If you need a new CHRA I'll be happy to source one for you, but I do want everyone to realize this failure is not in any way a reason to not buy a Garrett product. They are some of the most reliable turbochargers on the market, you just simply had bad luck. Have you tracked down where the problem came from?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dude, you gotta read all my posts, I am not angry at Garrett nor am I blaming them for this failure, nor am I thinking it should be warrenty.

I take full responsibility for the damage and yes I did track down where it came from. My fault.

I am miffed about the repair costs, nothing more.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yup, your dead on, it was the mani. Although even there as I have said. I have to accept blame also. I inspected that mani for atleast 2 hours and gave it the thumbs up.

After all my researching and calls and such about this incident I would have to say without the next time I buy a new turbo it will be without any question a Turbonetics.

After sending them my pics and speaking to them I would have had apparently no problems with replacement or at the very least a very reasonable cost of replacement.

This speaks volumes about their customer service and product value!

Yes, even on the BB products.

Just thought I would make that well known.

Turbonetics FTW!

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
MDCmotorsports;1460495 said:
Garrett's ball bearing turbos use a rear "press fit" inside race on the rear ball bearing. Provided that the bearings & shaft haven't seen as much heat as what your pictures say are possible, then you may get away with the following....

-New turbine
-Balance job
-Front seal
-Rear seal

Mark Conte;1461274 said:
Ball bearing units generally cannot be rebuilt at all, regardless of manufacturer, and a turbine is basically the largest part of the turbo you could damage, as it's a one piece shaft that goes from the turbine all the way through the cartridge through the compressor wheel.

Did you not ready ANY THING I wrote Mark?

Mark Conte said:
If you would have thrown rocks through a PTE bb turbo you would have run into the same thing. The only turbo company that has a warranty is Turbonetics. If you stuff a rabbit through your compressor and chunk it up, they will say, here you go sir, have your brand new turbo. (as long as it's within 1 year from purchase date).

Uh huh. Try telling that to the thousands of diesel truck owners that almost put TurboNetics out of business because they told them all to pound sand.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Flateric;1460307 said:
I was running very rich, after further checking my log files I find that at the leanest I was runnoning 13.5 and my average was 11.5 overall. I shouldn't be possible to run to hot with these values, should it?

13.5 is enough to melt pistons. Don't ask how I know.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The 13.5 is the absolute peak and the log shows it was there for less than a 10th of a second or thereabouts.

Look at how sooty the turbine is, it was running so rich that the back end of my car even has a black sooty film around the tailpipe area. I also need to point out the turbo was run for less than 50miles.

Besides, it's all besides the point because I did find the little stainless weld ball and I have now found it's source in my manifold. It's looking like it was more than one, sorta a little row of them off the edge of a ridge where the runners all begin to join up between 5 and 6.