Group A Head

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I'm in the middle of my build and was thinking about using my stock head for the build. I got an opportunity to buy a Group A head. I have done some research about the head and have noticed that the only real difference between the stock head and the Group A head is in the combustion chamber. Its built to flow better. Does anyone have more info on this? Would i have to customize anything to make it work? Any suggestions? :1zhelp:

Spec-DMK3

D-Spec
Jun 27, 2008
Saskatchewan
port and polish your head.. you could go as far as match porting at home in you garage but any further than that and id prolly trust that to your local matchine shop but do your reasurch dont just take your head anywere.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Spec-DMK3;1513241 said:
port and polish your head.. you could go as far as match porting at home in you garage but any further than that and id prolly trust that to your local matchine shop but do your reasurch dont just take your head anywere.

:nono:.....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's a GROUP A HEAD, not a stock head, more than likely it will have a shitload of work already done to it, don't fuck with it.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I have seen and taken apart a Group A engine. The cams are pretty wild ( I have the specs written down somewhere) and it was ported/ polished and the head was notched for the high lift cams. Also the block looked like the whole thing had been shot peened.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
What is up with all the :nono:'s????????????

As for the head, go a head if you want to but since there is no cams I think it = FAIL.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Fine on the intake side but hurts performance on the exhaust side as you lose the reversion dam.

Hence the :nono: "Conventional" knowledge doesn't always work on a 7M as you'd expect and people need to keep this in mind before "suggesting" a course of action that could ruin a head if followed blindly.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
I know you dont port match an exhaust side... only the intake side... I kinda figured it was common knowledge...

You do want a slightly smaller exhaust port then the manifold/header has... but since no one mentioned that to the op... I can understand your disprovement (if there is such a word):icon_razz

-AcId-