Gross misuse of the apostrophe ( ' )...possibly humorous

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
:aigo: What the hell is the deal? Did 90% of Americans forget that the apostrophe is not used in order to pluralize a word?

I see this gross misuse-as I refer to it-of the apostrophe not only on SM, but other forums and pretty much anywhere that something is written or typed. I've seen it on company websites, which is very unprofessional.

Has everybody forgotten what they've learned in elementary and middle school?

I know that most people don't care and are too lazy to give a shit and my rebuttle to that is that they're not as lazy as they'd like to think they are. If they're typing or writing extra shit, then they're only fooling themselves! :naughty:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
What's worse is when people put apostrophe's in places that do not warrant the use of one.

"do you guy's want to see some picture's?"

Good post! +1 to you!

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
SP 7M said:
:aigo: What the hell is the deal? Did 90% of Americans forget that the apostrophe is not used in order to pluralize a word?

I see this gross misuse-as I refer to it-of the apostrophe not only on SM, but other forums and pretty much anywhere that something is written or typed. I've seen it on company websites, which is very unprofessional.

Has everybody forgotten what they've learned in elementary and middle school?

I know that most people don't care and are too lazy to give a shit and my rebuttal to that is that they're not as lazy as they'd like to think they are. If they're typing or writing extra shit, then they're only fooling themselves! :naughty:
Fixed :icon_bigg
j/p
but yea I don't think anyone is too concerned with perfect grammar rules on the internet. Though I have found the kids today seem to get dumber every year

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Just because it's the Internet is no excuse.
You're typing, people are reading. It should be as clear, concise, and legible as possible.

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
supra90turbo said:
What's worse is when people put apostrophe's in places that do not warrant the use of one.

"do you guy's want to see some picture's?"

Good post! +1 to you!
LMAO!!!one!1!

Entirely too many people care entirely too little.

Thanks for the fix, there, JAV. By the way, Stage III is my favorite Kyuss song.

Frank Zappa released an album titled "Apostrophe," just for whomever's info. Solid, comical album.

Last edited:

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Nice post. I really don't know what the problem is these days with teens. I think it's the combination of the internet (aim) and cell phone texting. Both encourage the use of slang abbreviations, and rub off bad habbits onto teens, many of whom are less and less motivated. Dont get me wrong, there are hard working individuals out there, but teen masses are growing more and more stupid.

A good teacher of mine a few years back noted to me that my class was the last respectable class (as a majority) that she had ever had. Keep in mind she had been teaching many years before she ever taught me and this was many years later...

Anyway, going back to the apostrophe issue, it is really just one part of a growing problem. And, about it all, not much can be done. :nono:

Drew

btw: +1 for SP!

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
SP 7M said:
LMAO!!!one!1!

Entirely too many people care entirely too little.

Thanks for the fix, there, JAV. By the way, Stage III is my favorite Kyuss song.

Frank Zappa released an album titled "Apostrophe," just for whomever's info. Solid, comical album.
I only have the "Blues for the Red Sun" right now, planning on getting "Sky Valley" tho so right now I'd say Writhe or Green Machine but Thumb is awesome as well :drink1:

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
America is getting dumber, [very, very] sadly. Much of it is to blame on the far-left education system in our country.

JAV-You are way behind, man. You need to get Wretch, Sky Valley and Circus right damn now. I really dig "Molten Universe," even if the opening riff is basically ripped off from Sabbath.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Considering that I work in a Quality Assurance department, it drives me nuts.

However, I rather doubt that people are getting dumber. More ignorant, perhaps, but I don't think the evolution that created smart people is going to suddenly reverse itself.

Further, it could just be the evolution of the language... in 10 years, we may be looked upon as dinosaurs for the way we write and type.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Evolution or not, I'd rather see it progress towards a more standard end, not one where everyone feels comfortable doing whatever they feel like. Incorrect spelling and grammar is annoying, and in a lot of cases can make things hard to understand.

I understand not everyone will have perfect grammar, but it's like people don't even pay attention in school. (I know they don't, but still, you'd think something would sink in).

More than apostrophes though, is the misuse of "could have" by using "could of." That one is more than annoying, it's purely outrageous. It's not incorrect spelling, or incorrect grammar, it's the wrong word! People don't know what word they are saying!

Man... what a world we live in.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
your and you're, there, they're and their
this could go on for awhile

SP 7M said:
America is getting dumber, [very, very] sadly. Much of it is to blame on the far-left education system in our country.

JAV-You are way behind, man. You need to get Wretch, Sky Valley and Circus right damn now. I really dig "Molten Universe," even if the opening riff is basically ripped off from Sabbath.
Right away sir :icon_bigg

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
sm_photo_missing.jpg

:icon_bigg

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
Definitely right about the language changing. Words like "cunt" and "cocksucker" have made it into the Webster's dictionary. 5 years ago, they were merely a lesser form of profanity. However, America's attitude towards education has increasingly become more towards getting the number of people in the education system up without giving a rat's ass about the quality of the education. It could be we are becoming more ignorant, or it could be the internet is evolving the language faster than ever before. However, use of an apostrophe to represent the plural form of the word, exactly what did that evolve from? Using them on singular words ending in s? Who knows, but I for one always try to keep my grammar correct and diction precise.

L

lanky189

i hate ricer type..with a passion

and also people who spell words incorrectly just to make the word seem cooler...
I'll use Siman as an example
Regards - proper spelling
Regaurds - Siman's common misspelling

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
Lanky-Siman misspelled the name of his town and corrected it after I called him on it, acting as if he never did such a thing.

MUFreesboro is what he typed when in reality it's MURFreesboro.

This thread has blown up into far more than I thought it would. Good stuff!