Gross misuse of the apostrophe ( ' )...possibly humorous

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
I really didn't see this thread going this far. Not by a long shot. This is fantabulous!

Does anyone enjoy making there wider-than-usual vocabulary apparent as much as I do? I'm not saying I'm a walking dictionary or thesaurus but I can manage and I've been recognized by those who appreciate that tendency of mine.

I like the English a lot and I think that America should make it the official language. A great t-shirt that I've seen read, "Welcome to America. Now speak English." My thoughts exactly...and you better damn well not be here illegally.

I can feel an illegal immigration thread coming.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
SP 7M said:
Does anyone enjoy making there wider-than-usual vocabulary apparent as much as I do?

Ok, one of my biggest pet peeves...

There = in or at that place <stand over there> -- often used interjectionally

Their = of or relating to them or themselves especially as possessors, agents, or objects of an action <their furniture> <their verses> <their being seen>

And while we are at it:

Hay = herbage and especially grass mowed and cured for fodder

Hey = used especially to call attention or to express interrogation, surprise, or exultation

This stuff bothers me far more than insane apostrophes.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
I love this thread! I find it very educational and informative. I failed English several times in school and had to retake it. I would have had better luck sleeping with the teacher but this is fun also.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Nothing but respect for you SC, but:
supracentral said:
Their = of or relating to them or themselves especially as possessors, agents, or objects of an action <their furniture> <their verses> <their being seen>
The was you used the bold part, it should've been they're. Unless you're saying that being seen belonged to them. :confused:

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
Nothing but respect for you SC, but:

The was you used the bold part, it should've been they're. Unless you're saying that being seen belonged to them. :confused:

He might have meant "of them being seen" as opposed to "they are being seen."

It is an ambiguous and awkward statement, though. :)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I love using words that are uncommon and at times, larger and more complex. Same with the British, they will use words that are harder to say than an easier word, but they sound much more intelligent and therefore, are.

We need to embrace the English vocabulary and not simply use the easiest words.

For this reason, I love the role that George Clooney plays in "O Brother Where Art Thou"

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:

Eriol said:
It is an ambiguous and awkward statement, though. :)

It's meant exactly as written, and taken within the context of a complete sentence, it's not the least bit ambiguous.

Example:

Due to James' fear of their being seen together, James and Bob went to the event in separate cars.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Supracentral said:
It's meant exactly as written, and taken within the context of a complete sentence, it's not the least bit ambiguous.

Example:

Due to James' fear of their being seen together, James and Bob went to the event in separate cars.

*nod*

Sorry if I came across as being condescending or anything -- wasn't trying to be.

BTW, would you happen to be Mike Donahue?

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Supracentral said:
Donohue, with 2 o's - but yea, I'm most definitely me. :)

[off topic]
Ah, I guess I would have known if I had looked at your sig. :)

I bought some stuff from you at AAP once -- whatever happened to that place?
[/off topic]

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Eriol said:
[off topic]
Ah, I guess I would have known if I had looked at your sig. :)

I bought some stuff from you at AAP once -- whatever happened to that place?
[/off topic]

Still around, just focusing on working on cars and racing, not selling parts. It's a LONG story and I've dragged this thread off topic more than once already. :)