Washington
Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
I know that I do actually use the apostrophe incorrectly sometimes, like if I write 1000s, I will usually write 1000's. Not quite sure why, but nobody has complained directly yet. ;)

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Jeez you guys take spelling to a whole new level here. Kind of worried for some of you spelling freaks.

Although in proper documentation and filing papers at work I have to be perfect in every way in that particular aspect. But in a forum online.....I type to fast to think about spelling. Most of the time just making short statements and explaining the way I feel or spreading the knowledge the easiest and fastest.

I do not look at the internet as another "life" I lead....thats pretty gosh darn scary! Thats like having a multiple personality disorder:aigo:

Your just going to have to EXPECT people not to use proper spelling and grammer online. Most of us on here usually post in our "leasure" or "free" time away from work.

I know I do.

-Jonathan

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
I try my best with my grammer and spelling, I know I mess up sometimes. I took a english course a few years ago and I kind of remember some of the stuff that I learned in it, not alot of it but a little bit.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
I HATED english

I mostly was disgusted by the people that tried to "disect" a sentence into weird named items.

I permanantly blocked it from my memory. LOL I cannot even begin to remember what it/they were called.

I guess it is because I am such a "hands on" type of guy...I LOVE science and math since you can VISUALIZE it and FEEL it. And it has multiple assets and benefits to LIFE. Something that you can utilize in everyday life. Using proper grammer is not really utilized anymore other than really impressing people.

Like when I complete and file law office depositions for the doctors I work for (with in surgery too ). All the fancy old school english grammer and spelling of words for the letter headings...the way I have to dictate certain ways of spelling while taking dictation from the doctors pertaining to certain patients.

All it is for is IMPRESSING people, letting them know you have an "above average" knowledge of grammer.
Its kind of sad in reality that some people distinguish their place in life against others just in the way they SPELL.

-Jonathan

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Hehehe... I hated English CLASS. I never got further than freshmen English in high school.

Of course, the content of those classes was braindead -- even in the "accelerated" ones I was in. We never got beyond nouns, verbs, subjects, and predicates -- the most advanced grammar concept I ever learned was that "a preposition is anything a plan can do to a cloud."

The funny thing is that despite that, I got a 780 on my verbal SAT... and now I'm a science major. Go figure. :)

I think it's important to write correctly and precisely. Correctly, because it's a simple fact of life that many people will have more respect for your message if it's delivered with correct grammar. Precisely, because there is a lot of ambiguity in our language, and it can be easy for people to derive a different meaning from one's words than that which one intended to convey.

It's true that some people aim to impress others with their knowledge, but I think that for the most part the people who take pains to use correct grammar do it for the reasons I outlined above.

All that said... yes, the grammar and spelling found in this and other car forums are often atrocious. But I think that is to be expected -- it's a car forum, not a literature forum.

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
grammar_police said:
Don't anyone worry. I'm here to control any possible situations that may arise.
LMAO! Thank the Lord!

I know that people say, "I don't care when I'm typing [in a casual environment] if my spelling and grammar are correct." Who knows what else it leads to, though. If you get lazy here then it may only a matter of time until it bites you in the ass where it matters.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I can deal with lazy spelling and grammar to an extent. If someone types a run-on sentence, or just make small puncuation mistakes I'll skip right over it. When people start deliberatly spelling words wrong, or use words that don't even express what they're trying to say, that irritates me.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Sorry for double posting but I just found this on Ebay-

"I relist my friend two turbo because deadmeat bider didn't want to pay.....You bid of the supra turbo CT-26..I don't know much about this turbo his told me this turbo need to change gasket because was link oil. the fan still spining free......

need more pix email check my other items"

Now how can I have confidence buying from him when I can't understand what he's saying?? That's the kind of thing that irritates the hell out of me.

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
I know what you're talking about, dude, and I agree with you 100%.

I even [rarely] misspell words and my grammar probably isn't totally correct, but at least I'm making an effort. I sometimes even look words up for the proper spelling.

I want to take at least one college-level English class so that I know exactly how to type and write better than the vast majority of the population. I don't know for certain if that will be part of the cirriculum to achieve a degree in aviation maintenance management or aeronautical engineering, but I wouldn't doubt it if it was.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Spelling is very important on forums. As I’ve stated before, correct spelling is necessary for the search feature to work fully.

When a person goes to search for a word, he should only have to remember the one correct way to spell a word and not the 500 different ways to misspell that word.

Taking the few extra seconds to check the spelling on your post will help cut down on the “I searched but cannot find” threads. And trust me, the forum will still be here after you take that few precious seconds to do a spell check.

grammar_police

Apr 6, 2006
the dictionary
siman said:
I type to fast to think about spelling
Obviously you do, and that is nothing to be proud of. Try to use the same professionalism that you are required to have at work, here. I'm sure it will do a lot of good. Correct spelling: too.

siman said:
proper spelling and grammer
Grammar.

siman said:
our "leasure" or "free" time
leisure

loki said:
I try my best with my grammer
Unfortunately, your best is not quite enough. Grammar.

siman said:
tried to "disect" a sentence
You're making it easy on me with those quotes. Thanks.
dissect.

siman said:
I permanantly blocked it
permanently.

siman said:
Using proper grammer is not really utilized anymore other than really impressing people
That is, unequivocally, one of the most uneducated things I have ever read.
You're telling me that when you read something, and words are misspelled, punctuation missing, and apostrophes placed all over in a sort of haphazard fashion, that you don't question the writer's mental capabilities?
I question your mental worth every time I read one of your posts.
Enjoy a lifetime of benightedness. You're going to have to enjoy it. I see no other alternatives for you.
The word, sir, yet again is grammar.

siman said:
knowledge of grammer.
That would be grammar.

Last edited:

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Ohh Snap. Good one dcru.

Just don't call him "Officer English"
That's the name of a cop in my town that pulled me over 3 times and sent my friend to court.