Greddy declared bankruptcy today

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/10/japanese-tuning-firm-trust-greddy-declares-bankruptcy/

The market for aftermarket parts from Japan has been declining for well over five years, due in part to decreased demand both at home and abroad and the rising rates of Chinese knock-offs and other inexpensive (and dubiously built) components.

Today, one of the world's largest performance parts companies, known as Trust in Japan and Greddy here in the States, declared bankruptcy. According to various reports, Trust is approximately $60 million in debt and, after reporting a serious decline in sales since February 2008 and amassing $43 million in loan payments, filed for bankruptcy in Tokyo District Court.

Trust has been around since 1976, employs almost 200 workers and had been dealing in everything from CARB-legal exhausts to turbo systems when Greddy Performance Products was founded in the U.S. in 1994. There are several firms that will step up to fill the need of enthusiasts, assuming that Trust doesn't try to reorganize, but with the aftermarket industry down overall, we suspect this won't be the last time we'll here about a large tuner going under

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
This is a big blow to one of the founders of Japanese Tuning Products, one of the reason i dont support knock offs, hopefully the company can come back, they make some great products, id hate to see the one of the founders of the industry go down like this.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
JDMMA70;1126567 said:
This is a big blow to one of the founders of Japanese Tuning Products, one of the reason i dont support knock offs, hopefully the company can come back, they make some great products, id hate to see the one of the founders of the industry go down like this.

something I have been saying since the begining.

F&^% knockoffs. they dont work as well, and its stealing the designers and engineers ideas.

I will NEVER sell knockoffs. :icon_evil

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Why do i suddenly feel the grandfather of Japanese Tuning (HKS) is going to be next...

There has to be a way to combat this. Though i guess its due to people who want to build an engine for cheap.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
WOW, is what I have to say. 60 million, dam that is a LOT of R&D.
This is too bad for them, it is never good when a major player in the performance world goes under.
I wonder if theres more to come?

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
damn. That is a shame. Damn knockoffs. This just proves that people are cheap. I go by the saying that i read on this forum.
There are 3 things that you want:
Fast
Cheap
Reliable
You only get to pick 2.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
yeah so like.. buying products from china is bad (taiwan is still OK.. lots of namebrand stuff is from there and there is a distinct difference between taiwan and china ;p)

posting this on as many honda forums as i can find

Last edited:

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
this is a sad day :( anyone know what kind of filing they used? I know that here in the states there are 2 kinds of bankruptcy's - chapter 7 and 11, with one being for reorganization and one being for going under completely...

hope they rebound and come back

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
MKIIINA;1126601 said:
this is a sad day :( anyone know what kind of filing they used? I know that here in the states there are 2 kinds of bankruptcy's - chapter 7 and 11, with one being for reorganization and one being for going under completely...

hope they rebound and come back

It was filed in Japan, so im sure their bankruptcy laws are different then they are here.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
It probably doesn't help that there was a huge decline in performance cars coming out of Japan. Let's look at what they don't have in the US anymore:
Supra
MR-2 [SW20]
Celica [Alltrac/GT-Four]
3000GT/GTO
Turbocharged Eclipse
Turbocharged Skyline
Turbocharged Z
240SX

What do we have? The EVO and Imprezza. Everything else Japanese needs a forced induction kit. I'm sure Greddy was researching new kits to make, but people have more important things to spend their money on. Maybe the F&F fad has faded away a bit.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
and it doesnt help with people buy the obx SHIT, and then put in quality replacement parts...

my friend bought an obx external wastegate, and then bought a tial diaphram and another piece... wtf?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Here I am going to be a bit more sharp edged...

No of course it is the knock off! It has absolutely nothing to do with the exhorberent prices they were charging (and before one of you give me lip. I ran a genuine Greddy TD06-20g kit for my supra that I paid a hefty sum for).