Got Screwed Over on eBay

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
So I was on the market for a 100% Carbon fiber taga top for my '89 Supra.

I found this listing on eBay and contacted the seller.

I asked the seller if it was 100% Carbon fiber -- or just Carbon-fiber with fiberglass backing.

He said it was the latter, but then offered to make me the former.

...Which I agreed to and paid him the requested price in full, plus shipping.

Now it's over two months later and I have no item to show for my $450.

At first I waited around two weeks for the item to be made and shipped, before I started messaging him. My first few messages regarding the order were replied to - said he needed my email address to send me the tracking number (which never came) -- but has since ignored my other requests for the status of my shipment.

Since it was an unlisted item, eBay cannot help me - and since it's past the 45 day-mark, Paypal cannot do anything to assist me either.

So long story short, be careful of this guy.

Don't let the same thing happen to me, happen to you. :/

Thanks for your time,
Suitcase

ABNPayne

Jul 18, 2010
Macon, GA
Ships from San Ysidro, CA...

You can always try your state's (or CA's) consumer protection administration/dept, or file in small claims court for <$75

Ebay should be able to furnish you details for serving them with papers after you get a case filed...

Good luck!

Edit: OOPS, your in Canada. I guess this is an international incident!

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I sent this to him in ask seller a question.

Are you going to scam the buyer of this one like you did a friend of mine that ordered a carbon fiber one. Everyone we know will hear about you on every sport compact forum that we visit. Good luck with your future sales.

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
mdr40z;1644760 said:
why did you let it go past the 45 day period?

I was hoping to give him the benefit of the doubt. I guess I should know better than to trust people so openly.

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

suprahero;1644762 said:
I sent this to him in ask seller a question.

Are you going to scam the buyer of this one like you did a friend of mine that ordered a carbon fiber one. Everyone we know will hear about you on every sport compact forum that we visit. Good luck with your future sales.

I appreciate the defense. <3

But right now my only hope of ever seeing this Targa top is in the seller's hands. It's up to him if he even wants to make my Targa top now that he has the money. I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt. I'm trying to remain polite on hopes that I can still get my item out of this fiasco.

Last edited:

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
My only two pieces of advice, as I have bought and sold about 400 items on Ebay:

Never make a deal outside of Ebay - He could have listed the one that was 100% CF on a new listing for the agreed price, then you have protection from Ebay.

Always look at feedback - if it is less than 99% positive, read them and see what issues others have had with that seller. His rating was only 95.9% on 1071 items, that means that means about 44 items had negative feedback, the ones I see on his feedback are the same issue you are having (never received item, took 3 months to get it, some didn't fit etc...) so it is up to any of us as buyers to use that information and decide whether it is worth the risk to be one of the 4% of buyers that did not get what they wanted...

Officially off of soap box now:icon_bigg

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
gottadiesel;1644819 said:
My only two pieces of advice, as I have bought and sold about 400 items on Ebay:

Never make a deal outside of Ebay - He could have listed the one that was 100% CF on a new listing for the agreed price, then you have protection from Ebay.

Always look at feedback - if it is less than 99% positive, read them and see what issues others have had with that seller. His rating was only 95.9% on 1071 items, that means that means about 44 items had negative feedback, the ones I see on his feedback are the same issue you are having (never received item, took 3 months to get it, some didn't fit etc...) so it is up to any of us as buyers to use that information and decide whether it is worth the risk to be one of the 4% of buyers that did not get what they wanted...

Officially off of soap box now:icon_bigg

Chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned. :/

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
How do you fund your Paypal? If it's through a credit card, call and talk to your card company... often they'll have a way of reclaiming the funds. Might make PP upset with you, but for that kind of coin you can start a new PP account.

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
GrimJack;1644854 said:
How do you fund your Paypal? If it's through a credit card, call and talk to your card company... often they'll have a way of reclaiming the funds. Might make PP upset with you, but for that kind of coin you can start a new PP account.

Hooked up through my bank account. They won't do anything for me.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
send him emails everyday! when that fails we can all pitch in and spread the word on this guy and send him hundreds of emails flaming him...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Time for a 'vacation' to California. Pick up some of the hard hitters from the SoCal Supras crew, some pliers and a blowtorch, and go visiting.

In all seriousness, you might be able to get some free followup from the SoCal crew.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
San Ysidro is pretty much San Diego, which is on the Mexican/US Border, I was born in SD so I know...

eBay won't help because it specifically says do not make deals outside of listed auctions, this is also why SupraMania has authorized seller badges..

since this is an international incident, you may even be able to get the FBI involved, but I wouldn't go that far until you hear the FULL story..

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
hmmmmms does seem like a scam, but you did leave yourself open by buying off ebay. you might end up getting it still though, might have had an issue with making it, or he screwed up and had to re-make it. since i see a few complains of parts being to weak and cracking.

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
bioskyline;1644910 said:
but you did leave yourself open by buying off ebay. you might end up getting it still though.

I have purchased thousands of dollars of stuff on ebay but just as with almost any purchase you have to be smart about it.
I tend to stick with buyers that are very close to 100% positive feedback or a high percentage with plenty of volume.
In reading the feedback from this guy, it looks like a lot of the complaints are slow shipping, I bet you will get it eventually and from the good feedback they receive it looks like it is quality stuff.
This is the question I asked him about his ad for door sill plates, let's see how he responds........
"I really like this item but one of our forum members believes he got scammed by you, he bought this
86 92 Toyota Supra Mark III CARBON FIBER TARGA TOP
It has been over 45 days since he purchased it.
Can you respond to my question, why I can trust you and buy this ITEM?"

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
I contacted that seller, realcarbonfiber1, a few years ago. I asked if I could drive down to his shop and test fit the cf targa top. He said he didn't have one in stock and that he'd make one if I ordered first. Since he is unknown in the Supra community, I didn't order.

The seller is in San Ysidro (San Diego). Paulo (Retro-Spec), operates out of Tijuana, Mexico. San Ysidro is U.S. city bordering Tijuana, Mexico. I wonder if Paulo knows the operator/owner of realcarbonfiber1.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
I think we should all send him messages asking about OP's item. Also, if anyone else is an active member on any other forums.. link here so that they do the same. $450 is a lot of money to get NOTHING in return. I'm in to help however I can. Sending the seller a message right now.

Mike