Give me reasons to keep the supra.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
My 7m ran strong, it was pulled because it has 200k on the clock and also leaked from every imaginable place. Also was leaking coolant from the banjo bolt on the back of the head. I was quoted 1400 for a rebuild to short block and a head rebuild. I'd put a mhg and arp head studs on and call it a day. Not looking for a "10 second car" just a fun reliable weekend cruise to the lake car.

first_mkIII

Oct 28, 2007
stockton
man i havent been on here for a while now but ive gone through everything from a fox body to a 03 cobra to a ls1 camaro right now im in a 98 cobra and i love the car but found myself wanting another mk3 which i plan on getting here hopefully next jan. thus the reason on back on here lurking so i would say build your 7m and dont look back like im doing now!!
IMG_0417.jpg
IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2007 Mustang was the first to fall to my Supra.. back when it was running on 5 cylinders.. lol.

I can't go domestic anymore.. way too disappointed by what I have driven so far. The 80's really killed that American muscle love for me...

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Seriously, if you're looking to us for reasons to keep the Supra, I figure it's probably not the right car for you.

I keep mine because I love it. What it can do, and what I can do with it are ancillary reasons only. Every time I look at it, I'm happy that it's MY car.

Should the day ever come when I need another reason to keep it, It'll be time to move on to something else that gives me that reaction.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
The reason I have been losing interest is alot to do with a lack of funds to keep the project going. It is hard working on a project when you know that not much can be done on it. I have one more semester of college left, and I have a full time job lined up after graduation already, so then I will for once have a steady paycheck and can start budgeting for the Supra.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If funds are limited you need to keep it as close to stock and well maintained as possible, a modded Supra is a money pit bar none and no matter what everyone says about loving the car it wears thin when you don't drive it for years at a time waiting for $ to finish it...

Even well funded the seat time can be minimal dealing with the rubickscubeOfail.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I got my car from a guy who bought it when he was 14 years old. He worked weekends in the bodyshop that fixed the rust for him and painted while he worked it off.
He had a whole hoard of tickets hidden from his dad who was paying the insurance (wondering why it was so high... lol)
He blew the engine and turbo and popped in a JDM 7MGTE that had a rod knock so ended up rebuilding the original 7M. Then his dad found the tickets and told him he was on his own for insurance.
That put the car in the garage for 3 years....

I bought it off him because he was entering university. Overpaid because I didnt know all the warts, but still happy I have it. I have spent about 4x more than I thought I would have to originally on all the fixes and upgrades, but just slightly higher than if I bought a brand new car. The bodywork that was done was done wrong, the engine that was rebuilt was rebuilt wrong... so I had to do it again properly.

I have it insured as an antique/collector car for under $7.00 per month for full amount of appraisal + 1500.00 max in parts over and above as opposed to 120-240 for new car insurance if I had bought a new car. (thats a saving of approx. 7000.00 over my ownership period so far) Plus, if I had bought a new car 4-5 years ago for 35-40k, currently it would probably only be worth about 12-18k. In 2 years.. I will be very far ahead in ownership costs providing I dont have it stolen or destroyed.

No plans on ever selling the car and putting money in it is not a concern. My youngest child (we have 6) is about to turn 16 years old.. so I dont have to worry so much about everything I used to.

Now.. if I was going into college/university... I wouldn't touch this car... its a pig on gas and money. Buy a 600.00 car and pay off your edumacation. Then save up for a house and family. That would be smart.

(most of us are guys.. we are rarely smart...)