Give me reasons to keep the supra.

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
ha going sn95 over supra boy have i been there i traded my old supra off for a 240, had a foxbody and a 94 347 stroker cobra clone and i traded it to get back into the 89 my dad had since 2001.. its a problem child and frustrating hell 2 days after i traded it bhg'd lol but id rather have the supra im the only one in the region with one and of the 5 mk3's that came through my county me and my dad have owned 3. besides that i live in a small town thats made up of lifted trucks and mustangs and the occasional camaro. I dont know, something just draws me back to these old things we all know and love

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
sluts love supra's...... is that enough motivation?

I haven't tested this theory out yet, but its sound in principal

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
While I'm not going to jump on the total MK3 circle-jerk that's happening in this thread, I will say that I have driven several SN95 Mustangs, including a Cobra, and I can say that I simply was not impressed. That platform did not age well. However, if you're not truly passionate about owning a MK3, I'd say get rid of it--because that's what it takes to be happy with those cars. The platform is 26-27 years old now, and as such, every Supra needs a lot of work, care and dedication.

Here's another idea I'll throw out: E36 M3. It has much better build quality than an SN95, it's a younger platform than the MK3, they're relatively reliable besides issues with the water pump and the single VANOS system. You can also pick them up for a decent price now.

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
scottiedawg66;1905544 said:
If you are done with your MK3 thats fine, people taste changes. but i think you will be disappointed with a SN 95.
You know, as a kid in high school, I always wanted a 4th gen Camaro. Fast forward 3.5 years after I graduated, and I bought my first Mk3 Supra. Fast forward another ~2 years, and I bought a 2001 SS. Had I bought these cars in reverse order, I probably would have absolutely loved the Camaro. However, the Supra spoiled me. GM build quality was generally garbage due to cost cutting measures taken during that era of American auto manufacturing. Things are significantly better now, but I can hardly recommend an American car from that era UNLESS... you can pick it up for CHEAP.

...because that is exactly how well they're built. Think about a step above early Hyundai/Kia. ;)

LunaVyohr;1905728 said:
Here's another idea I'll throw out: E36 M3. It has much better build quality than an SN95, it's a younger platform than the MK3, they're relatively reliable besides issues with the water pump and the single VANOS system. You can also pick them up for a decent price now.
Didn't that era of M3 have a bit of a weak subframe issue? Otherwise, I think they're pretty badass cars. Schaeff has one if I recall... while we're throwing alternatives out there, I've been torn between the NSX and building a Miata, or hell, even an FD or a Westfield... who knows with me. :p

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
te72;1905793 said:
Didn't that era of M3 have a bit of a weak subframe issue? Otherwise, I think they're pretty badass cars. Schaeff has one if I recall... while we're throwing alternatives out there, I've been torn between the NSX and building a Miata, or hell, even an FD or a Westfield... who knows with me. :p

Not as far as I know, but maybe somebody else with more experience dealing with that platform could comment. What I do know is that they are a relatively cheap platform to buy, mostly reliable, handle amazingly, and have decent power.Plus, they have great aftermarket support.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
te72;1905793 said:

I would say go with the NSX!!! I've heard lots of bad things about the FD sadly... I've always loved the way they look, but apparently everything about them (structurally and mechanically) is not that great... that's what I hear from locals at least that have had a few + done v8 swaps and so forth... if the idea of building a FD isn't scary enough (boy are those things tiny) the idea of a miata is enough to send me running, lol

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
te72;1905793 said:
You know, as a kid in high school, I always wanted a 4th gen Camaro. Fast forward 3.5 years after I graduated, and I bought my first Mk3 Supra. Fast forward another ~2 years, and I bought a 2001 SS. Had I bought these cars in reverse order, I probably would have absolutely loved the Camaro. However, the Supra spoiled me. GM build quality was generally garbage due to cost cutting measures taken during that era of American auto manufacturing. Things are significantly better now, but I can hardly recommend an American car from that era UNLESS... you can pick it up for CHEAP.

...because that is exactly how well they're built. Think about a step above early Hyundai/Kia. ;)

Could not agree more. The 90s through mid to late 2000s was the low point of domestics and the high point of japanese cars if you ask me. The mk3 is a high quality vehicle. even my pile of a mk3 that has been left outside and abused is in great shape and everything that I didn't screw up works.

E36 are one of my favorites, but I can't get over the factory electronics. The few I have experience with we're always having something wrong with the electronically and they seem expensive to modify.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
LunaVyohr;1906125 said:
What I do know is that they are a relatively cheap platform to buy, mostly reliable, handle amazingly, and have decent power.Plus, they have great aftermarket support.
Well said, and I agree. HPF does some terribly awesome things to the M3 platform...

89jdm7m;1906126 said:
I would say go with the NSX!!! I've heard lots of bad things about the FD sadly... I've always loved the way they look, but apparently everything about them (structurally and mechanically) is not that great... that's what I hear from locals at least that have had a few + done v8 swaps and so forth... if the idea of building a FD isn't scary enough (boy are those things tiny) the idea of a miata is enough to send me running, lol
Basically the biggest attraction to the NSX for me is the mid engined platform (new thing for me), and the fact, that well... look at the thing. It's an NSX. That's about all the argument I need. :p

FD I could easily live with. Love the looks, love the interior, love Rx7's, love the balance... keeping myself from modding one too much would be a trying exercise I think. As for the Miata or FD being small, this is a Westfield:

http://www.flyinmiata.com/westfield/

I can think of few things with four wheels that would be more fun for that money. :evil2:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Get rid of the MK3.. get a truck.

After you drive the truck for a couple years... come back and pick up a used Supra fully built, etc.. that is done to your tastes for about 1/4 what it would cost you to do yours.

Problem solved.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yeah that is a good solution. ^^ I'm, guessing you said truck since you live up north. I'd personally try to find a rwd corolla. I almost went that route... but since I've only bought supras in the past (aside from the 2 trucks) I figured I may as well get another.

te72;1906559 said:
Basically the biggest attraction to the NSX for me is the mid engined platform (new thing for me), and the fact, that well... look at the thing. It's an NSX. That's about all the argument I need. :p

FD I could easily live with. Love the looks, love the interior, love Rx7's, love the balance... keeping myself from modding one too much would be a trying exercise I think. As for the Miata or FD being small, this is a Westfield:

http://www.flyinmiata.com/westfield/

I can think of few things with four wheels that would be more fun for that money. :evil2:

As for the NSX... mid-engine, aluminum chassis. Developed with the assistance of my personal hero, racing legend Ayrton Senna. I would LOVE to own a first gen NSX some day.

That thing looks like a caterham... I certainly wouldn't mind having one of those either. Although I gravitate a lot more towards things with hardtops.

As for the rx7, like I said. I've been told by owners that the drive train won't hold power for shit, the interior falls apart when you touch it... basically what I was told is the only thing it has going for it is it's looks (good balance too, of course)

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Grandavi;1906635 said:
Get rid of the MK3.. get a truck.

After you drive the truck for a couple years... come back and pick up a used Supra fully built, etc.. that is done to your tastes for about 1/4 what it would cost you to do yours.

Problem solved.

I have a pickup. It's my daily driver. My whole driving style completely changes when I drive a pickup. When I'm driving anything else, I'm always flying through the gears. Driving my pickup, I'm perfectly happy with taking my time getting up to speed. I love driving it, it's just different.

I have been looking constantly at supra mania the past few days and I'm remembering why I love supras in the first place. It's going to be awhile, but I am going to stick with it I think. Hopefully by the end I'll have one kickass car built the way I want and done by me. I take more pride in something I built and didn't just buy.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
shit I'll be happy just to have a turbo 7m with some basic mods... just to cruise around, and listen to the sexiness :naughty: last one's I've had I always tried to focus on the engine first. This time around I'm'll do basic exhaust/intake mods and get it running about 30mpg, then do the suspension and work my way up from there. Just hoping I won't have to replace the clutch immediately. :-|

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I suggested truck simply because you drive it differently. You dont have to worry about ducking as you get into the car... you sit high on the road.. its kinda the opposite of a Supra.
When I get tired of something, I swing the other way to get a break. If I went from my Supra into a Corolla.. I would drive it similar to my Supra (although I have had Corolla's in the past and I generally only used two positions on the gas pedal.. up or down...)

Sometimes you have to walk away from something to judge it correctly.

White Zombie

Feb 1, 2007
Hampton , VA
Well your earlier post was accurate , there will be plenty of mk3 bias on a mk3 forum .
That being said , I bought my car and had it down for two years ! And never even drove it first ! Now that she's finished it was worth every day I had to wait to get in it and drive it now !

Look at it like a getting married, when times are tough , do you give up ? Or stay motivated to keep it together ?

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Well put both of you! Ha

But seriously that's a good analogy. I have decided to keep it because of responses on this thread, and reading through build threads. Most likely going to be longer than a few years but I'll stick with it.

Another dilemma I have is whether to stick with the 7m or try to find a 2jzge....

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
keep it... i dont have room for another.

go jz.... thats my plan eventually

hope to have mine on the road again soon... young sick baby took all my time last summer/spring... now that she is bigger and healthy... time for the ride.
as soon as it is warm enough to heat the garage effectively.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
7M or 2j.. hmmm... all depends.
In my case.. I had to get a whole new shortblock.. and should have went 2J with a single turbo. Same engine, but the 2J is beefed up and has improvements.

its kind of a 6 of one, half a dozen of the other situation. 2J is better, but 7M is native... I stuck with 7M. Dont regret it, but my ultimate plan (now changed of course) was to go 2JZ VVTI...
My 88 will be 7M for the foreseeable future now.. and nothing wrong with that at all.

So... it depends on what your starting with and what your final plans are. What do you have to buy and what can you just fix...