Gauge Cluster Needles: Paint Question

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
So I pulled off my gauge cluster needles and scraped off the ugly faded orange paint. What would be the best kind of paint to use for this application. I'm looking to paint them red. I was also thinking that I don't have to use any kind of transparent paint because it will reflect throughout the needle and light the top of it since the paint is on the bottom and it picks up the light from a part of the needle under the black center piece. I'm not sure though. I'll take some pictures if anyone is confused.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I was thinking of a metal flake red myself. I havent decided on mine yet so will be keeping an eye on this thread for suggestions.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
IJ.;1058311 said:
If I were doing this I'd use one of the paints for plastic RC car body shells ;)

i wouldnt use paint for rc body's cause that paint is meant to have plastic on the outside and paint on the inside...rc paint is flat lookin and dull but the plastic makes it look shiny....ask me how i know lol.

id use testors model paint in whatever color you want.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
gaboonviper85;1058314 said:
i wouldnt use paint for rc body's cause that paint is meant to have plastic on the outside and paint on the inside...rc paint is flat lookin and dull but the plastic makes it look shiny....ask me how i know lol.

+1 for testors.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn

Testors transparent red. I have used this and the transparent blue on several models and a custom PS1 case. It should do the trick.

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1266

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under

Stock needles are flat paint anyway.....

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
IJ.;1058404 said:
Antiglare ;)

you think of everything IJ!!!!! your fuckin brilliant!!

you just solved a major problem with cars....needle sun glare!!! nothing is worse then going around a turn at 35mph and sun bounce off the needles directly into your eye and OOH NOOOOO CANT SEEEE!!! : )

your awesome!

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
I used a light coat of oem super red II touch up paint. Comes in a little eye makeup type brush bottle.
p1058438_1.jpg

Guyana00;1058443 said:
^ What purple gauges are those?
They're 60mm amber/white premium pro sport gauges. Camera makes them look not quite white.

Last edited:

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
^ What purple gauges are those?

And I would definitely use a flat paint. You know that holographis Intel sticker that comes on laptops?...well sometimes I'm using the laptop and it glares right into my eye. So damn annoying, I can't imagine driving around and randomly having that happen, the feeling would be tenfold.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
gaboonviper85;1058401 said:
yeah i suppose....but....who wants flat paint on there needles?

That only matters if you're painting the top or face of the needle. Stock they're painted on the underside.... like an RC shell. Ask me how I know. ;)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
CRE;1058487 said:
That only matters if you're painting the top or face of the needle. Stock they're painted on the underside.... like an RC shell. Ask me how I know. ;)

as if people are gonna take the time to paint the insides again....much easier to paint the outside.

damn you all are going mall ninja with this anti glare shit.....its like reading the glockforums all over again....all these suburban hicks that rig themselves with weapons mounted lasers and shit expecting war....lame.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
The red that The Dude posted actually looks damn good.
The bottom of the needle is where the color goes. Just have to make sure you buff the needle clear after removing the factory paint.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I would certainly paint the bottom of the needle with a flat paint. The clear needle will give it the shiny look anyway.