Gates Raceing power grip hose clamps?

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
adampecush;1468815 said:
were factory clamps actually yellow? i know some of the spring clamps were (and still are) but I've never seen a yellow heater hose clamp.

I don't think they were on the 7M.

But i've seen yellow zinc plated clamps on a few other toyotas; and a I own a Craftsman Hose Clamp Tool. :)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The factory constant tension band clamps on my car were green. Whether they were zinc chromated (which can be green) I don't know. I assume they were. All but one (the replacement was also green) were in service 22 years and not once did any of them leak.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
^when did you buy the replacement? :)

(Any New Clamp from the Toyota Parts Counter is Black from what i've seen.) :(

22 Years is a good sign; i'm for sure going junkyard diving for ct clamps, and Non Hose Damaging Worm Gear Clamps from Volvos. ;)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Poodles;1469103 said:
If it's not silicone :/

Not silicone....it's not cheap shit though! Just good quality gates racing hoses...beats paying $120 for a set of silicone hose...considering the stock Toyota hose lasted 20 years the gates hose should last just fine.

Gates racing hoses cost $60 for the set...good enough

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
i saw these, the connections the OP is talking about...u know...3 pages ago...at a car show this fall. but they were connecting a glorious glass radiator pipe. here's the link:

www.killerglass.com

it's really cool when you get up close to it. i was like WTF IS THAT!!?? GLASS??? hahaha. yes, agreed with all that cutting would be the usual method of removal...but i guess for a show car...or a finished build...or engine bay pics ;D

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
jetjock;1469105 said:
edit: Iirc Gates hoses are EPDM. Made to resist ECD...

Correct you are!

gaboonviper85;1469194 said:
Not silicone....it's not cheap shit though! Just good quality gates racing hoses...beats paying $120 for a set of silicone hose...considering the stock Toyota hose lasted 20 years the gates hose should last just fine.

Gates racing hoses cost $60 for the set...good enough

After looking at the Gates Racing Site.

Their "Racing" Line is completely pointless. But aesthetically it looks okay; just not my cup of tea paying the extra $$$ for something that uses the same materials and just has a blue dye.

Even the timing belt seems to be a complete gimmick. Wheres the bloody Kevlar? ;)

jetjock;1469091 said:
The factory constant tension band clamps on my car were green. Whether they were zinc chromated (which can be green) I don't know. I assume they were. All but one (the replacement was also green) were in service 22 years and not once did any of them leak.

After some research; factory Clamps are made by Hsiung Jen Industrial Co., Ltd. of Taiwan.

As Per their site their clamps are Treated as such: Zinc plating with color chromate, blackish green with chromate, dacromat chromate free, zinc plating with color trivalent chromate and blacking zinc plating with colorless trivalent chromate.

Pretty Interesting to think about my Clamps actully aren't "Zinc Yellow" plated but "Zinc" black plated. (Learn something new everyday.) :)

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I've seen those ct clamps fail or leak many times. Most of the time they failed because they were removed wrong and got bent, and leak when not put back in the same position they were from the factory(when reusing the hoses).

I reuse them most of the time. There are a few places where they're just a pita to reuse, and they get replaced with worm clamps.

A quick google search turned this up: http://stores.ebay.com/Commonwealth-Specialty-Hose-Clamps

Edit: These might work better: http://www.delcity.net/store/Constant-Torque-Clamp/p_556668.a_1

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Kevlar??? Gates racing never said they use Kevlar...why do people keep saying shit like this? Gates has glass cord running threw the belts to add strenth etc..

Any way...upper and lower rad hoses are probably $100 from Toyota...gates racing was $60....I'd rather go with gates thanks.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
gaboonviper85;1469636 said:
Kevlar??? Gates racing never said they use Kevlar...why do people keep saying shit like this? Gates has glass cord running threw the belts to add strenth etc..

Any way...upper and lower rad hoses are probably $100 from Toyota...gates racing was $60....I'd rather go with gates thanks.

There was a vendor on here screaming that Kevlar and Angel Dust Makes the Gates Racing timing belt. ;)

Toyota Rad Hoses are probably 100 from your local dealer.

I personally bought a Toyota Upper, and a Lower 5M Normal Gates hose.

Nice Loom Job BTW. Got any advice for the Firewall Grommet? :)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Zumtizzle;1469673 said:
There was a vendor on here screaming that Kevlar and Angel Dust Makes the Gates Racing timing belt. ;)

Toyota Rad Hoses are probably 100 from your local dealer.

I personally bought a Toyota Upper, and a Lower 5M Normal Gates hose.

Nice Loom Job BTW. Got any advice for the Firewall Grommet? :)

Soap and water...spray a bit on the gromet and work it in....I just kept turning it back and forth while pushing and you'll see the spots that you need to push in further.

Poodles samco...

why? These will work just fine and cost less...

If I really needed to upgrade I'd use braided stainless....