Gates Raceing power grip hose clamps?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
So I picked up a set of gates racing coolant hoses today from Jsc speed...I asked if they had tbolt band clamps but they didn't but they had these gates clamps....guess it's just a heat shrink tubing that is supposed to clamp the hoses..I picked them up as they look like it would make for a clean install but I'm kinda sketchy on the idea...

Anybody use these?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I just got a set of those hoses also. I didn't get those "clamps" with them though. I'd feel the same way as you. Hmm.....

I guess you'll be the pioneer on this. Let us know how it goes! :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The main reason I don't like the idea is that if you have to remove the hose it has to be cut (hard to do without damaging the hose) and they're in no way reusable...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Poodles;1468425 said:
The main reason I don't like the idea is that if you have to remove the hose it has to be cut (hard to do without damaging the hose) and they're in no way reusable...

Yeah another concern...I plan on running tbolt clamps untill I get an aluminum rad and this build proves itself and then may use these...either way I have them just in case...a careful hand and a razor blade should get them off without a problem.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Do you really need T-bolts for the cooling system?

Gate's says you need a special tool to remove their shrink wrap clamps. Looks interesting, I wouldn't mind giving it a try on one of my stock vehicles.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
RacerXJ220;1468544 said:

No.. I don't follow this reasoning either. Same as AN fittings and hose for PCV lines, I know it looks neat, but it serves no purpose.

I'd try those "clamps".... seems like a good idea to me.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
RacerXJ220;1468544 said:

Gate's says you need a special tool to remove their shrink wrap clamps. Looks interesting, I wouldn't mind giving it a try on one of my stock vehicles.

No I could use worm gears or stock clips but...

p1468632_1.jpg

obviously I want something that looks half decent...

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
adampecush;1468736 said:
new stock clamps are for the win. especially with the tab that keeps them open. Installation = painless.

New Stock Clamps = :(

No more Zinc Coating; they're black.

I'm going junk yard diving.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Poodles;1468697 said:
worm gear + silicone hoses = bad

I run stock clamps.

Gates hose isn't silicone;-)....either way I hate the look of worm clamps and new Toyota clamps are like $8 each...for $8 I can get tbolt clamps.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Think of that hard-ish plastic clamps on newer Ford lower hoses and you will understand the Power Grip system. Efective sealing with a cleean look but is single use only.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Zumtizzle;1468786 said:
New Stock Clamps = :(

No more Zinc Coating; they're black.

I'm going junk yard diving.

were factory clamps actually yellow? i know some of the spring clamps were (and still are) but I've never seen a yellow heater hose clamp.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Never seen these before but agreed if they can't be reused it's going to get expensive on a 7M :aigo:

Factory CT clamps if you can get the sizes needed rule!

Worm drive even on silicone is fine as long as the rack isn't cut through the clamp but worm clamps can't self adjust for different temps like factory clamps.