Found a nice review of our supra

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
nice.!

Last time I cranked my 92 on accident while it was on, it's that smooth..!

I remember reading in an old MotorTrend article posted here that it was the quietest car they've ever tested (well, back then)..

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
"In the long run, the Supra most likely will require less maintenance than European and some domestic cars, and whatever it does need probably will cost less."

wait a second.......wait a second.....wait a second..........why I'm broke then?:icon_frow

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
"All things considered, the Supra is a super car"

I like it, I like it a lot. :) Nice find.

LMAO at the depreciation of Japanese cars. They KEEP their value these days!

Duane

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, support@cars.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

:(

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
^x2 :(

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

RazoE;1541780 said:
nice.!

Last time I cranked my 92 on accident while it was on, it's that smooth..!

I remember reading in an old MotorTrend article posted here that it was the quietest car they've ever tested (well, back then)..

but is one of the sickest sounding cars now!:evil2:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Richard Truett said:
By Richard Truett
Orlando Sentinel
May 10, 1990

There are certain laws of physics that just can't be violated. For instance, when you start an automobile engine you will hear engine noise and feel some vibration.

Unless you are in a 1990 Toyota Supra Turbo.

This $25,000 Japanese sport coupe is far and away one of the smoothest and quietest cars I've ever been in.

Even with the air conditioning on, you have to strain to detect even the slightest vibration or engine noise. Toyota uses fluid-filled engine mounts to absorb the engine's vibration. The system works flawlessly.

The Supra Turbo features a 24-valve, in-line, 3.0-liter, six-cylinder engine that develops 232 horsepower. The test car came equipped with a five-speed manual transmission. Both must be considered at or near the current state of the art in automobile engineering. After excellence comes finesse and that's what the Supra's engine and transmission have. Its superb engineering is just one of the many exemplary points of this vehicle.

Yes, $25,000 is a lot of money for a two-door hatchback car of the Supra's type. For some reason, Japanese cars seem to depreciate quicker than others. But in terms of the Supra Turbo's performance and equipment, a comparison to the other high-performance cars in its class proves the Supra to be an excellent buy - provided you keep it until it wears out.

In the long run, the Supra most likely will require less maintenance than European and some domestic cars, and whatever it does need probably will cost less.

For instance: a set of front and rear brakes pads for a Porsche 944 is $208.94 from the dealer. The same parts for a BMW 325 cost $155.30. For the Toyota, a set of brake pads for all four wheels costs $53.75 from the dealer. This is one way the Toyota's value reigns supreme.

With the optional power adjustable driver's seat, it virtually is impossible to be uncomfortable. The Supra's automatic air conditioning system allows the driver to punch in the desired temperature down to the degree; the range is from 65 to 85 degrees.

The sound system in the test car could be placed in a Rolls Royce and be complimented for its clarity and power. It featured a compact disc player, cassette player, presets for 12 FM and six AM stations and a built-in equalizer.

Rear seat passengers are apt to find leg-and headroom very much on the cramped side. This is the car's only major weak point. Only small children would be even reasonably comfortable riding in the rear seats. Stowage capacity in the hatchback area barely is adequate. There is not much room between the floor and the hatchback. A grocery bag for instance would be smashed unless it was placed far away from the rear of the car.

The feature I liked most had nothing to do with driving. When you lock the car, an automatic alarm system is armed. If a thief tries to steal it, the lights turn on, the horn sounds and the starter is rendered useless.

I found it impossible to make th e Supra's 16-inch Goodyear Eagle VR50 Gatorback tires lose traction under any hard steering condition. The Supra took corners with ease at 60 mph that other cars would struggle at in 30 mph maneuvers. The brakes were firm, strong and nearly fade free. Shifting the car is a breeze - the Supra is a pleasure to drive.

There were only two minor things I didn't like about the car - and this is really nit-picking: the pedals had a flimsy feel to them, as if they were not made of heavy enough metal, and when will Japanese carmakers start using something other than what appears to be heavy paper for the shifter boot. How about some real leather for a change?

The car's styling, with bulging biceps courtesy of Porsche, is aggressive. And the Supra's performance lives up to that projected image. Various enthusiast magazines have tested the car and found 0-60 acceleration times ranging from 6.5 to 7.5 seconds.

Toyota engineers have eliminated turbo lag, so when you need thee tra acceleration of the turbocharger, power comes on quickly and smoothly. Driven hard with the air conditioning on, the Supra returned 16.1 miles per gallon of unleaded regular. Driven normally with the air conditioning on, mileage increased to 21.4 mpg.

All things considered, the Supra is a super car, but there are economic forces working against it. Several years ago when the dollar began its free fall, foreign carmakers were forced to raise prices in order to remain profitable.

Consider this: year-old Supra's are down to between $16,000 and $18,000, according to local newspaper ads.

This problem is not restricted to Toyotas, but because the Supra loses so much of its value in so short a time, it is more severe than with other cars. The best course of action is to buy one and keep it. Rack up as many miles as you can and maintain it aggressively. Chances are you'll like it so much you won't want to sell it anyway.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
SupaMan;1541833 said:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, support@cars.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

:(

supra1008;1541838 said:

great, you guys broke it..

698617.jpg

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
best course of action is to buy one and keep it. Rack up as many miles as you can and maintain it aggressively. Chances are you'll like it so much you won't want to sell it anyway.

:bigthumb:

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Nice review. Thanks for sharing.

When I bought my most recent MKIII, a friend of mine questioned the sanity behind buying a straight 6. I had to explain to him the physics behind the straight 6, and why it is the smoothest possible configuration for an engine. See HERE.

When properly engineered, there's just no comparison for smoothness of operation. It's a shame so many automakers have abandoned the straight 6. Aside from the smoothness, I personally like the lines of a car with a straight 6- the longer nose, etc. Something very elegant about Supras, older Z's, and some of the old BMW's, among others.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
As I'm a little older then the average age here, I remember going for a test drive with my dad in a brand new black 87 turbo. The supra turbo was a very fast car for 87 standards, but what really left an impression on me was how smooth and quiet the car was. We took it up to 90mph and it felt like we were going 40. And the inline6 (with of course the stock intake/exhaust) really sounded great, like it was singing a nice quiet note.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
MRSUPRA;1542171 said:
As I'm a little older then the average age here, I remember going for a test drive with my dad in a brand new black 87 turbo. The supra turbo was a very fast car for 87 standards, but what really left an impression on me was how smooth and quiet the car was. We took it up to 90mph and it felt like we were going 40. And the inline6 (with of course the stock intake/exhaust) really sounded great, like it was singing a nice quiet note.

I recall test driving a stock turbo Mk3 in the 90's when I was thinking of buying one. It seemed incredibly fast compared to my Mk2. Now I find 350hp in a Mk3 slow and boring to drive. Go figure!

"The brakes were firm, strong and nearly fade free" ... I guess he didn't used them aggressively twice in a row!

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
Pretty sweet! I really enjoyed that read. Too bad I was too young to take one on a test drive then. I would have been like one year old.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
I love reading stuff like that. I was at a dealership looking at a FJ Cruiser and the sales guy was total shocked that he did not hear and squeaks or creaks from my car when I pulled in.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
kelson;1541801 said:
"In the long run, the Supra most likely will require less maintenance than European and some domestic cars, and whatever it does need probably will cost less."

wait a second.......wait a second.....wait a second..........why I'm broke then?:icon_frow

Ownership. Broad stroke for many issues, which don't necessarily mean you.

I have had many, and the car is as reliable as anything I have owned. As for reviews, I uploaded others for your enjoyment. :)

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?67399-Original-Supra-reviews&highlight=original

"Buttery smooth" ; right up my alley of how a car should be.

Last edited: