fixing head gasket

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Well I know that but i want to know if I buy the 1.9 would it alter the compression ratio much to the point of catastrophic failure even if the block is still in tolerance or is less in tolerance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IJ.;2006499 said:
Well there ya go.....

Not saying I'd do it this way but if you read the initial post this is what he says from day 1...

NOT everyone has the funds to embark on a total rebuild.

So I read this and then thought, wow, seriously?! I owe you a beer or something, Ian. Somebody would go through the work of removing the block and taking it to a machinist only to reuse bearings and skip a cylinder hone? I can't even imagine that train of thought, but sure enough you were right.
MkiiiAllDay;2006512 said:
yeah i just recently went to DM to see what they can help with and well, one of the guys there said to just rebuild it because its the safer and most efficient way at doing it, so im gonna go that way, gonna by some npr pistons and some rings, bearings for the crank and rods then take the block, head, crank, rods, and all to the guys at driftmotion to help me out with the machining part. the guy that helped me said that if i bring all those to him hell take them to the machine shop to get them honed and what not.

And then I read this and felt a little better about life.

Even if you value your time very little it seems insane to me to pull a block for machining and not spend $90 on a crank polish, $50-100 on a cylinder hone and $100 for new bearings all around. I know some mk3 owners are cheap, but holy shit...

OP: Glad you talked to DM and they got you steered in the right direction. Prepping for a MHG without any other work at all puts you on the fast track to being a disgruntled 7M owner cursing the Supra name because your motor blew shortly after an MHG install. Good luck with the rebuild. It's money well spent.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Thanks suprarx7nut, and do you have any input on the question I just asked about the compression ratio

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
MkiiiAllDay;2006537 said:
Thanks suprarx7nut, and do you have any input on the question I just asked about the compression ratio

I haven't dealt with that myself, but I believe you can measure both the block and head. Then you'd make up any difference with the head gasket.

Sent from my Moto X.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
You could measure it and figure it out, but like supranewbie Said your machinist has the proper measuring tools and will be right there to let you know once he gets it machined

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
jdmfreak;2006549 said:
You could measure it and figure it out, but like supranewbie Said your machinist has the proper measuring tools and will be right there to let you know once he gets it machined

This is what I meant. You could, but it's pointless for you to try to figure out the math when your machinist will have everything sitting in front of him. Along with the tools and experience to come up with the correct answer.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Before you use NPR pistons, research them a little more. Many people have had ring lands break. I ignored what I read and used them anyway, now I have a rebuilt 7M with a few thousand miles and a broken ring land.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I used Wiseco Pistons. So far so good. If your not going over 600 crank HP, you can stay stock. ALso, I used a 1.2 Cometic MHG with ARP studs. My block was pretty clean so lapping it didn't involve removing too much. You are going to want to get rid of any corrosive pits though. If you go this route and do everything properly, you don't need to go 2j... ever. :)

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprarx7nut;2006531 said:
So I read this and then thought, wow, seriously?! I owe you a beer or something, Ian. Somebody would go through the work of removing the block and taking it to a machinist only to reuse bearings and skip a cylinder hone? I can't even imagine that train of thought, but sure enough you were right.

And then I read this and felt a little better about life.

Even if you value your time very little it seems insane to me to pull a block for machining and not spend $90 on a crank polish, $50-100 on a cylinder hone and $100 for new bearings all around. I know some mk3 owners are cheap, but holy shit...

OP: Glad you talked to DM and they got you steered in the right direction. Prepping for a MHG without any other work at all puts you on the fast track to being a disgruntled 7M owner cursing the Supra name because your motor blew shortly after an MHG install. Good luck with the rebuild. It's money well spent.

Been doing this a long time now and have pretty much seen it "all" ;)

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Wisecos are a good choice but Probes are fine. And a couple hundred cheaper. They used to come from DM with NPR rings. Don't know if this is still the case, but I opted out of the rings Aaron supplied. I used the Probes but also bought Total Seal rings. Just my personal preference (rings).

Last edited:

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
im not planning on going big horsepower, prolly just about 300hp, do you think the nprs will suffice and last?
its going to be my daily
also for the cold start temp sensor, my connector is pretty much shot, i was wondering what i could use to replace it

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stock is best if your not overboring the cylinders (fresh hone). The stock piston is designed specifically for the engine (wrist pin, slightly off center) and is generally good for up to 600 HP at the crank. Any piston will do, but the pin was offset simply to take into account the slight traverse pressure of the firing stroke to help prevent any knock (if I understand it correctly). Im not sure why your looking at NPR's...

as a rule of thumb... with a properly done Metal Headgasket, the stock 7M setup is good for up to 600 hp at the crank. Some issues with oil if you were to take a stock one that high, but its doable. Anything you do using aftermarket should be an upgrade or just use OEM. If your going to do it "cheaply" (if the reason you want to go non-OEM is because of the huge gold markup on OEM), then research is good. No experience with the NPR's.. just heard a couple people complain in higher HP builds.. but I would expect they should be fine.

(again.. Im not a mechanic.. just going on experience)