fixing head gasket

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Hey guys, im planning on fixing the headgasket on my car and probably going cometic mls, what do i need to do to prep the block as in what do i need to take off and what can i keep on, that would be very much appreciated guys

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
You need to remove the block from the car and take it to a machinist. The machinist should machine the block with the rear timing plate installed and they should use a 7M torque plate.

To be clear, you should not use a Cometic gasket on the block if it isn't being machined. If you're not removing the block you should use the OEM head gasket torqued to 75-90 ft-lbs.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
If you get a metal gasket you need to machine both the block and head and either way go with ARP head studs.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
MkiiiAllDay;2006390 said:
what if they dont have a 7m torque plate? and im planning on machining the block. dont i need to remove the crank, rods, and pistons?
If they don't have a torque plate find a shop that does. They can remove and reinstall the internals. More likely to be done correctly.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
If they have a torque plate for a 7m then they probably have 7m experience.
If all you're doing is the head gasket then yeah, there is no need for a torque plate. It would kinda get in the way of machining the deck.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IJ.;2006405 said:
Ummm you DON'T need a Torque Plate to machine the deck.... :nono:

True. However, wouldn't it be foolish to have a block prepped for a MHG and not hone the cylinders? And wouldn't you want to have a machinist with a 7m torque plate perform said honing?

Sent from my Moto X.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IJ.;2006415 said:
He said nothing about doing a rebuild....

I'm confused. [serious] If he's going to have the block machined (which he states above in post 3) is it crazy to assume he's going to do a rebuild? Would anyone tear down a motor, take it to a machinist to machine the block deck and then just reassemble everything and throw it in as is? In my head it's an automatic that you'd at least get a hone, crank polish, new bearings all around.

Am I missing something? I know my first response wasn't clear and I apologize for that, but I don't think it's odd to assume somebody doing machine work on a block is going to also do a "rebuild" of some sort. That seems like a stupid shortcut to me. :dunno:

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
ok, ok guys, thanks for the input, all i was going to do was resurface head and block for the MLS i already know what needs to be done for the head and block and was never planning on a rebuild, i just wanted to know if i needed to remove the internals. if i ever did a rebuild i would rather just go 1j swap but dont have the money. thanks a lot guys

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
I agree with advices as I ask myself the same already. As soon as block is worked on, rebuilt is as cheap as honing, rings, bearing, and a full gasket set...

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
That's how I'd do it. But people often do just the hg. Maybe it's a low mileage engine that wasn't burning oil or anything and he feels confident that all it needs is a hg? I don't understand why you'd go to the trouble of mls if you're just trying to get by til you can afford to swap in a 1j.
To each his own.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
MkiiiAllDay;2006450 said:
ok, ok guys, thanks for the input, all i was going to do was resurface head and block for the MLS i already know what needs to be done for the head and block and was never planning on a rebuild, i just wanted to know if i needed to remove the internals. if i ever did a rebuild i would rather just go 1j swap but dont have the money. thanks a lot guys

Well there ya go.....

Not saying I'd do it this way but if you read the initial post this is what he says from day 1...

NOT everyone has the funds to embark on a total rebuild.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
yeah i just recently went to DM to see what they can help with and well, one of the guys there said to just rebuild it because its the safer and most efficient way at doing it, so im gonna go that way, gonna by some npr pistons and some rings, bearings for the crank and rods then take the block, head, crank, rods, and all to the guys at driftmotion to help me out with the machining part. the guy that helped me said that if i bring all those to him hell take them to the machine shop to get them honed and what not.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Id like some input though, so if i machine the block, and head, and they are still within tolerance would i be ok if i use a 1.9 mm or should i fill the gap exactly with how much gasket thickness i need