First Magazine coverage from TX2K7

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
This is the first of 2 magazine coverages from the meet, the second should be in the next issue of Modified magazine. Hopefully the coverage will be like last year where one magazine covered the Road Racing and Dyno Day and the other covered the Show-N-Shine and Drag Race portion. Well at least a few of us (DRBOWSER3, XSCURRY, LUIGI and myself) got a small amount of ink, but it's a good piece overall for the Supra Community. Enjoy:

Here are scans, click the links below for full sized scans.

p682752_1.jpg

p682752_2.jpg

p682752_3.jpg

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/rajunz/tx2k7/?action=view&current=turbomag1.jpg
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/rajunz/tx2k7/?action=view&current=turbomag2.jpg
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/rajunz/tx2k7/?action=view&current=turbomag3.jpg

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Can't really complain that we didn't get much coverage, when the best we had to offer was under 1/3 of the highest MKIV, not only that, but our overall average was pitiful. Not many fantastic drag times, only like 2 mk3's on the track... We don't deserve much magazine coverage until we put on a show.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
GotTurbos? said:
Can't really complain that we didn't get much coverage, when the best we had to offer was under 1/3 of the highest MKIV, not only that, but our overall average was pitiful. Not many fantastic drag times, only like 2 mk3's on the track... We don't deserve much magazine coverage until we put on a show.

Pretty honest answer.

It's not like MK3s haven't gotten coverage in magazines for vegas or TX before. There's been many past year's articles with a fair amount of MK3 and MK2 pics and text. I wasn't at TX or paid attention to it much but from the sounds of it, there wasn't much MK3 action there anyway so naturally there would be little to no coverage.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
GotTurbos? said:

Possible reasons:

1. Mk IV owners have alot more money to play with than MKIII owners (look at the price of the car alone).

2. There is alot more aftermarket parts and tech available for the MKIV (see reason one).

3. Seems like MKIII people don't even want to participate in a meet where they are considered second class citizens or red headed stepchildren. I know I don't.

I would also suggest that it takes a different type of guy to make something out of a 20 year old MKIII, than it does for some "richie rich" (or the like) have daddy write a check for a MKIV, and then bang the credit card for every trick piece of off the shelf perfomance and appearance accessory...and then pay someone else to install and maintain it.

Very impressive!:3d_frown:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
suprabad said:
Possible reasons:

1. Mk IV owners have alot more money to play with than MKIII owners (look at the price of the car alone).

2. There is alot more aftermarket parts and tech available for the MKIV (see reason one).

3. Seems like MKIII people don't even want to participate in a meet where they are considered second class citizens or red headed stepchildren. I know I don't.

I would also suggest that it takes a different type of guy to make something out of a 20 year old MKIII, than it does for some "richie rich" (or the like) have daddy write a check for a MKIV, and then bang the credit card for every trick piece of off the shelf perfomance and appearance accessory...and then pay someone else to install and maintain it.

Very impressive!:3d_frown:

All that isn't really the point though. MKIIs and MKIIIs have made great showings at past events. It seems that maybe this year just wasn't one of them. The MKIV is going to get the media spotlight, regardless. That's always gonna be a given but we have had tons of impressive cars, dyno numbers, and track times from MK3s in the past.

I don't know what happened at this year's TX even though. Did any MK3s do well at the dyno or drags?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Comparing the MkIII and the MkIV directly is a bit unfair. A 2JZ can put out more hp with stock internals than a 7M that's modified to the tits. Yeah, they're somewhat close stock, but the 2JZ is just a different animal than the 7M, and we can't change that. Consider that a MkIV fuel pump is considered an upgrade for a MkIII... they were designed at different times with different goals in mind by the designers.

One has to appreciate the MkIII for what it is, not hate it for what it's not.

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
We all just have to relize that for the mk3's time it was a great car but the mk4's design is better. Now I am in love with my mk3 but...... Sometimes I wish I was 2jz :[

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Keros said:
Comparing the MkIII and the MkIV directly is a bit unfair. A 2JZ can put out more hp with stock internals than a 7M that's modified to the tits.

im sorry WHAT? that statement is beyond ridiculous.

as for the coverage...i was just more annoyed that there wasnt a single PICTURE of a mk3...and there were quite a few clean ones there... lances or ryans could have easily been photographed. thats all.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Keros said:
Comparing the MkIII and the MkIV directly is a bit unfair. A 2JZ can put out more hp with stock internals than a 7M that's modified to the tits. Yeah, they're somewhat close stock, but the 2JZ is just a different animal than the 7M, and we can't change that. Consider that a MkIV fuel pump is considered an upgrade for a MkIII... they were designed at different times with different goals in mind by the designers.

One has to appreciate the MkIII for what it is, not hate it for what it's not.

WAY back in 1997 (before many of you here were even born - joke) the highest HP MkIV was just over 400whp. Nobody knew what the 2J was capable of.

I'd bet that if the MkIII had been the last Supra produced we would be seeing many more seriously high horsepower MkIIIs out there.

Take a look at the bigest HP MkIIIs out there today. Duane has the current record for a non-nitrous 7M-GTE. Kwnate (sp?) has the record with nitrous. Tony in Vegas is making a very respectible showing and I would expect him to turn up the power to regain his title from just a couple years ago. Bryan is building a MONSTER! Is that thing running yet? (sorry Bryan - had to poke a bit there). And there are others.

Also remember that the biggest of the biggest horsepower #s are coming from 3.4L stroker motors.

232 (crank) to 822 (wheel) is a HUGE jump!!!!!

Do the math. That's like a MkIV pushing out 1133whp

It CAN be done. You just CAN'T take shortcuts.

Choose a purpose and build your car for that purpose. Don't try to build an all around car if you want the highest horsepower or the lowest 1320 #s.