Finally fixed all my problems!!! No more issues

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Sside;2036216 said:
Really? because I don't agree. I enjoy my car starting every morning and actually washing my car on weekends instead of fixing that other thing that broke. Old cars are just that. Old. Finding an unmolested supra or classic is nice but there are a lot of people who have this unrealistic dream of fixing up some pos they found on craigslist. I needed a car that would take me to work and back every day. I grew up. I didn't care about being "fast" anymore or "hp"..... I'm happy with my new ride....

This is how I feel right now. I used to frown upon the "bought not built" crowd, but I want to join that crowd now. My MKIII isn't my daily by no means, but even my daily is getting old and I'm afraid it might give up the ghost one of these days. I'm tired of something always going wrong with the Supra. I wouldn't mind an FRS.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I keep going to the river to pray, cause I need something that can wash out the pain, and at most, I'm sleeping all these demons away...........Give up the ghost.

Kinda sounds like tracing down gremlins on a MKIII. I can't count how many times I've prayed that the demons would leave my car.

A friend of mine has two MKIV's and he daily drives an FR-S

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Suprapowaz!(2);2036244 said:
This is how I feel right now. I used to frown upon the "bought not built" crowd, but I want to join that crowd now. My MKIII isn't my daily by no means, but even my daily is getting old and I'm afraid it might give up the ghost one of these days. I'm tired of something always going wrong with the Supra. I wouldn't mind an FRS.

I used to as well!.... I took pride in a car that had my blood sweat and tears in its engine bay.... "Literally"..... I don't know what changed. One day I woke up and I pretty much gave up. I could no longer tell myself "this is the last thing I fix/replace and my mk3 will be done". It was a lie. The car would never be done. The FR-S was interesting at the time. Rear wheel drive, and incredible reviews about its handling and funability. It was quick not fast. No turbo.... For some no turbo means slow but for me it means no boost leak. Yah, the mk3 did that to me. Been driving it for 1 year and 4 months exactly and even this morning driving to work was an adventure and a learning experience. Everyday I learn something new with my Fr-S... Everyday I get quicker with it just on skill and learning my car.... Its fantastic in my opinion and no its not this speed beast but Its certainly not slow in the right hands. Will post pictures later :)....

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
Sside;2036216 said:
Really? because I don't agree. I enjoy my car starting every morning and actually washing my car on weekends instead of fixing that other thing that broke. Old cars are just that. Old. Finding an unmolested supra or classic is nice but there are a lot of people who have this unrealistic dream of fixing up some pos they found on craigslist. I needed a car that would take me to work and back every day. I grew up. I didn't care about being "fast" anymore or "hp"..... I'm happy with my new ride....

Finding a car that you really like and want enough to buy brand new is the way to go for the long haul. I bought mine just after it rolled off the boat back in '89. I've almost always driven it like an adult and I've always taken care of it. If you follow that method, any machine will last a long time and be a pleasure to own. If you treat it like shit it will always bite you right in the wallet. I love craigslist but I would be very wary of buying a car there. If you don't go in with your eyes wide open and realize the POS factor is high, your dream can become a nightmare before that plume of white smoke dissipates.

I'm glad you like your new ride. Take care of it from the start and maybe in 25 years you'll see old cars from a different perspective.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Old Radar;2036284 said:
Finding a car that you really like and want enough to buy brand new is the way to go for the long haul. I bought mine just after it rolled off the boat back in '89. I've almost always driven it like an adult and I've always taken care of it. If you follow that method, any machine will last a long time and be a pleasure to own. If you treat it like shit it will always bite you right in the wallet. I love craigslist but I would be very wary of buying a car there. If you don't go in with your eyes wide open and realize the POS factor is high, your dream can become a nightmare before that plume of white smoke dissipates.

I'm glad you like your new ride. Take care of it from the start and maybe in 25 years you'll see old cars from a different perspective.

Honestly, I think I enjoyed the supra community more than I enjoyed the car. I met awesome people and events like Texas2K were great memories. With that said I loved my Supra. Anyone here that actually knew me knew how much I loved my car. But the FR-S was a fresh start, and I had a chance to actually do it right. The only thing I have done to my car has been oil changes. I don't even let Toyota do it. The car has only seen Royal Purple every 4,000 miles. There is nothing wrong with old cars. There is something very wrong with how some old cars fall into a certain category of people that abuse them and pretty much bring them closer to extinction. A lot of supra owners are too young to afford and or take proper care of their Supras. They just want to do one thing. Boost... As I grew older the popularity of the car grew among kids and then I just decided to jump the train. True I was young when I got mine and couldn't afford it to be honest. But seeing things 5 years later and a Supra that was unfinished was the tipping point. I don't go to meets. I don't plan on "tuning" my car and I sure do hope the FR-S does not go down the same rout although its making record setting strides to do so. Very difficult to see someone with a bone stock FR-S......

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Here was my Supra..... One of the last pictures I took.....

image.jpg

And here are a couple of my FR-S..... Yes my plates are showing, please don't stock me.... I trust you guys :)...

Online_Posting_1.jpg

Online_Posting_2.jpg

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
rodel;2036298 said:
Congratulations on the purchase! It feels good to be able to enjoy driving, without worry.

Rodel!!!! When I saw your car I knew exactly what I wanted my car to look like lol.... That was the best I could do lol^^^......

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
S.A. supra;2036292 said:
Sside, I don't know why you caught flack for moving on, but sometimes we just move on.

Was your supra swapped?

No swap.... Rebuilt 7M done right....... :)....... I don't like swaps... I have a certain belief that what came in the car is what you should run...... Anything else takes away from the platform you have chosen. For example, if I were to try and 2J my car yeah it would make tons of power but in essence I just stripped it from its soul and inserted something else. If I supercharge my little boxer engine and make tons of power I just made my car a serious sleeper....

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Sside;2036299 said:
Rodel!!!! When I saw your car I knew exactly what I wanted my car to look like lol.... That was the best I could do lol^^^......

Thanks, brother! Your Mk3 looks good! Let's celebrate your Supra. Please post more pics of it.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
rodel;2036303 said:

NO! Stop putting ideas in my head Rodel.... Its not going to work... (covers ears, lalalalalalalalala) dang that's a nice sounding FRS.... :(....

Here is how I found it....
Picture2.jpg

When I washed it

HPIM1154.jpg

Rod Knock :(....
HPIM1319.jpg

Rebuild!!!!! Wohooo!!
HPIM1508.jpg

Is this some plot to try and make me miss my sup? Because its not working...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Nice replacement. No need to justify moving on. A mk3 isn't a great solo DD for most anyone at this point in time. The chassis is old and few of them are well cared for. I would only recommend a mk3 as a second "fun" car.

I'm faced with a big decision in the coming years:
My Supra:
-$1000+ Needs an engine rebuild soon. Smokes at start up
-$1000+ Needs a new interior pretty much throughout. Seats faded, door panels cracking, steering wheel awful, trim pieces cracking/broken, etc...
-$2500+ Needs paint... badly. Chips all over from a bad previous paint job, clear coat fading throughout
-$500+ Needs a new intercooler, mines dented and ready to leak at a moment's notice
-$500+ Needs a better stereo. Without a subwoofer and speakers with an amp it just won't sound like most modern cars.

I made the list above mostly for me, haha, but it just shows that even barring unforeseen problems owning a mk3 is a commitment and a constant project.

I can't blame you for moving on. Luckily for me, it's my "fun" car so it doesn't need to be super reliable. I make enough money though that I could afford a better starting platform if I wanted. NSX, Elise/Exige, MKIV, M3, M5, FRS/BRZ all come to mind. I might be moving to a warmer climate and that would allow me to drive a sports car year round. All the more motivation to really overhaul the mk3 or move onto a nicer/more modern platform. I would miss the hell out of mk3 turbo power though. My Supra's not even "fast" for a Supra, but it's still faster than most the other items on my list save the MKIV. Romping up the on ramp or overtaking just about anything on the highway at 75+ still puts a grin on my face and makes me feel like a little kid. It's hard to consider giving that up.

Decisions, decisions...

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Nice new car! I live the FR-S. I might be the only one to not have many problems with my Supra. Ofcourse a few here and there and tens of thousands of dollars have been spent but im ususally spending money on upgrades rather then repairs at least 5-10:1.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
Sside,
you had a nice supra. I'm sorry you let her go but I understand why you let her go.
good luck with the new FS
and if it was my car I would get bigger wheels and some lowering springs.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
The frs/brz and supra are such different cars but in some ways the frs/BRZ is soooo much more fun to daily than a mk3.
Fortunately I was able to keep my supra and get a brz. Best of both worlds!
Are you planning on going to tx2k15 this year? I'll be driving down in my Brz for tx2k and the Texas mile the following weekend.