FFIM intercooler pipe routing pictures

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I'm going to get a FFIM for my car, and I'm trying to figure out how I am going to do the cold side pipes (intercooler to manifold). I know people do it one of two general ways:

1) Route it straight down near the A/C compressor
2) Go down near the battery/headlight (with a relocated battery of course)

I've pretty much decided I'm going with #2 since I have a PWR radiator, and I'm thinking of using 2.75" piping. I feel it will also make it easier to work on not having the intercooler pipe in front of the accessories like that.

I've seen plenty of pictures of you guys' engine bays with intercooler piping routed like this, just not pics of where it is routed down to the intercooler. It seems like it would be cleanest to go straight down through the battery tray (although I would have to grind off the tray, correct?) rather than under the headlight. Can I see some pictures of how you guys did it?

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
Ark,
You'd definately have to relocate the battery and remove the tray (not a big issue and easily done to trunk or other) if you want to route the pipes that way. I personally believe it is the cleanest looking but makes for a very hard to remove IC to FFIM pipe, you could have a coupler in the middle of this pipe to make it a bit easier to remove, but that is also another point of possible leak/failure. Make sure the opening you drill through the body is at least 1/4" to 1/2" bigger than the piping or you will get a rattle.

My pipes are 2.5" from turbo to IC, 3" from IC to FFIM. All polished stainless. They did require a very minor trim of the plastic wheelwell liner/under engine cover and removeal of the DS lower front fender cover (but the location of my Canton oil filter meant that it would have to come off every time I needed to change the filter).

p1478561_1.jpg

IC and PC680 battery location
p1478561_2.jpg

Custom IC brackets
p1478561_3.jpg

Test fit before final weld and polish
p1478561_4.jpg

p1478561_5.jpg

p1478561_6.jpg

New style HKS SSQV on custom flange
p1478561_7.jpg

p1478561_8.jpg

Mk3Les

Gilsdorf;1478561 said:
Ark,
You'd definately have to relocate the battery and remove the tray (not a big issue and easily done to trunk or other) if you want to route the pipes that way. I personally believe it is the cleanest looking but makes for a very hard to remove IC to FFIM pipe, you could have a coupler in the middle of this pipe to make it a bit easier to remove, but that is also another point of possible leak/failure. Make sure the opening you drill through the body is at least 1/4" to 1/2" bigger than the piping or you will get a rattle.

My pipes are 2.5" from turbo to IC, 3" from IC to FFIM. All polished stainless. They did require a very minor trim of the plastic wheelwell liner/under engine cover and removeal of the DS lower front fender cover (but the location of my Canton oil filter meant that it would have to come off every time I needed to change the filter).

I dont have any thing to add to this except to say ^ Very nice work, well done.

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
atlpd3147;1478584 said:
Gilsdorf where did you buy that intercooler from? What size is it? And what Hp is it rated for?

The core is 12"x24"x3" with 3" inlets, I don't remember where I got it from but it wasn't expensive (probably a Yononka or other cheapie), not sure on the hp rating--I haven't reached it yet--but I'm unofficially@520whp.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Gilsdorf;1478561 said:
Ark,

That's VERY nice, and just about how I was thinking of doing mine. It's good to see someone that did it like that. I would probably put a coupler in there just so I didn't have the remove the bumper to get it off. I was also thinking of putting some door/trunk molding around the hole so it doesn't rattle.

Did you just grind the battery tray off with a cutoff wheel or something similar? I'm also curious on how much your intercooler flows. I'm looking at a precision turbo one rated at 600 hp and it's a lot smaller than that.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
IJ.;1478597 said:
I've seen yours from your build thread IJ :aigo:. Looks really good. I'm afraid going through there I would hit the headlight. How much clearance do you have?

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
Mr IJ did you spray your intercooler black? And it looks huge? Is it 4" thick? If not what's The dimensions of the intercooler?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
atlpd3147;1478727 said:
Mr IJ did you spray your intercooler black? And it looks huge? Is it 4" thick? If not what's The dimensions of the intercooler?

Yes and yes ;)

4" core and about as big as will fit in the front of a Mk3 without cutting the front off and starting from scratch.

300x600x100mm

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I'm looking at the precision turbo 600 hp intercooler:

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Wc21126d5f695d.htm

...but it seems so small (31.5" x 8" x 3.5") compared to what most people run. I'm looking for 500-550 whp using a GT35R. The 600 HP seems like the right choice. Would the 750 HP one provide any benefit, or will it just add more volume to my system and decrease boost response?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
It was extremely easy to run it between the radiator and AC compressor....and no cutting was required.

Here is a pic of my set-up with a koyo radiator and 2.75" piping.

p1478977_1.jpg