Engine Damper?

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Hey guys,

Anyone have any recommendations for engine Dampers?

I don't want to get solid mounts they are just too harsh i hate the feel.

I want a engine damper/shock that can limit how much my engine flexes... It's so bad it's flexing in to my strut tower bar and I can see where the intake manifold and the bar have been touching. It's also flexing in to my rad when the IC pipes flex.

Finally it's causing my PS fluid to leak because when it flexes it lifts the return line.

I was thinking either putting something under the strut tower to limit the movement or bar it's self by making it hit the bar which would have a plastic stopper foot

in this video you can see my engine flex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ouLJ69P-c

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Randy @ BIC sells an engine damper iirc. I'm using MKIV fluid filled motor mounts, they seem to work nicely. Both of those items would work quite well in your case, I'd imagine. gl.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I second the stock engine dampner. I have one as mine is an 87, and If it wears out I'll just either replace it with a new stock one or find a tiny shock to do it :icon_bigg.
eric

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Eric, on another note. How much is your car putting down now, and at what boost levels? It sounds awesome and I was just curious. I know you have or had the meth injection kit and I haven't got mine tuned perfectly yet.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IJ.;1329117 said:
Don't see how that's an "upgrade".... :nono:

The Toyota Damper has SSV and is a very clever piece of engineering.

Agreed...the OEM version is a real damper.

Zazzn - you could look into sourcing some poly mounts vs solid.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
2J = no mount provision for the stock engine dampener that was on the square mount cars...

Custom one wouldn't be hard to make...

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Your engine is torque'n over pretty good there dude. I would suspect you may have a cracked or broken engine mount. I had the exact same issues and the mounts looked fine but on removal it wasx apparent they were not ok.

I have to agree with the guys above on the damper, the toyota one is the way to go.

I also notice that drift motion has poly mounts for not only the engine but also the tranny as well to help tie things down a little more firmly.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Can't tell what you have under the hood. Seem to rememeber you having a 2JZ. Have you ever driven a 2JZ with solid mounts? I did for a year in my 2JZ 91T. As far as noise and vibration went, you could hardly tell. Most people thought I was on stock mounts since the engine is naturally smooth. The best part was how solid it felt shifting and under power. This time around I'm running BIC poly mounts for my pre-89 subframe.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I'm running the BIC poly engine damper with stock engine mounts, and it still feels smooth. Perhaps he could custom make one for you? I think it might do quite well to limit the engine movement; it is beefy.

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
thevork;1329050 said:
Judging by the look of your car it's a pre-facelift supra.
Your engine should/could have a stock engine damper. If not, you can get a used one?
I don't have a 7m.

suprahero;1329120 said:
Eric, on another note. How much is your car putting down now, and at what boost levels? It sounds awesome and I was just curious. I know you have or had the meth injection kit and I haven't got mine tuned perfectly yet.
Made 647 during that session was @ 24 PSI of boost. John reed tuned it on the street for like 3 hrs then went to the dyno.

Flateric;1330071 said:
Your engine is torque'n over pretty good there dude. I would suspect you may have a cracked or broken engine mount. I had the exact same issues and the mounts looked fine but on removal it wasx apparent they were not ok.

I have to agree with the guys above on the damper, the toyota one is the way to go.

I also notice that drift motion has poly mounts for not only the engine but also the tranny as well to help tie things down a little more firmly.

They are brand new 87 mounts, i don't think they are busted.... I just need something to dampen them form moving all over the place.. If I could use the stock one I would but it was shot on my 87 and it wont mount to the 2jz.

tekdeus;1330741 said:
I'm running the BIC poly engine damper with stock engine mounts, and it still feels smooth. Perhaps he could custom make one for you? I think it might do quite well to limit the engine movement; it is beefy.

I've used poly mounts before and I dind't like them.. I still have them but hate them I want the car to retain all the niceness it can.. and I really like the 87 mounts. I just want to put a damper on to keep the engine put when it starts to flex.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The square mounts have limiters built in (tabs will hit the side of the cup that goes over the mount), you could adjust that in a few ways (welding metal on the cup, adding more rubber to the tabs, ect...)

Also, the engine dampener has valving in it, it will feel like it's not working, but you have to move it fast. Could have a bracket made to mount it to the 2J (not sure if the mounts for BIC's one will work on the 2J or if they'll work with a stock dampener)

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Zazzn;1330842 said:
I've used poly mounts before and I dind't like them.. I still have them but hate them I want the car to retain all the niceness it can.. and I really like the 87 mounts. I just want to put a damper on to keep the engine put when it starts to flex.
Re-read my post. I was saying that I am running stock 87 engine mounts but the BIC damper itself has poly bushings, and limits engine flex. I noticed no increase in engine vibration. Might be an idea to have one adapted to your 2J ;) Or maybe pay Ron R. to make one like his? He has a really trick one that bolts to the top strut tower.

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
i've driven on a BIC poly mount in my buddy's 2j here.. I'm not a fan :( vibrations all over the place with him..

I was thinking I don't have the metal cups over the stock 87 mounts just the square rubber is in place.... I dind't think the covers did anything do they?

are you saying htere is a limiting tab in where the rubber hits the cover? if that's the case does anyone have a set for sale ;)

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
If everything fails...Old School!

ivfl9f.jpg

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
im running the bic poly engine mounts and dont feel any noticeable vibrations. im not running the engine damper at all and the motor barely flexes