Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
p1427897_1.jpg

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Actually, no it isn't a poor analogy
Both are forms of fermentated beverages. Both are created by combining Yeast and Sugar which is then allowed to ferment.

The yeast feeds on the sugar and excretes alcohol and carbon dioxide.

Oh and before it comes up
Fruits contain natural sugars
Cereal grains allowed to sprout in water release an enzyme called amylase which converts the starch content into sugars.

Sugar+Yeast=Alcohol

Alcohol+Heat=Evaporation

Evaporation=Removal of solids

Alcohol+Evaporation-solids= Distilled Alcohol which depending on ingredients will give you the different types of Hard Alcohol.

All are Absorbed,Distrabuted ,and Metabolized in the same way and effect the same Neurotransmitters as each other.
All alcoholic beverages are the same.
All are produced by the interaction of sugars and yeast.
The only thing that seperates them is the ingredients that make the sugars and the distilation process.
So other then the fact that one is made with fruits and the other is made with grains. What is you basis for your statment?

On and BTW I am a Chemical Dependency counsler. Where are you getting your information?

Also the additional ingredents in an Energy drink are what makes it different then Soda. Just like the difference between wine and vodka are the ingredients. Even though the medium that the compounds are suspended in are same.
Look at the difference between grape juice and wine. Both started off as grape juice only difference is one ended up with additional additves to achieve a desired result which changed its classification from grape juice to wine

Oh and you can get a DUI in Washington state for drinking to many energy drinks. Big difference there right?

Last edited:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
You can get a DUI in every state from drinking too many mind altering substances....I made the mistake of taking yellow jackets while driving 15 hours....they fucked me up and I had too get my friend too finish off the drive as I was too damn wired!

As far as the argument goes...carbonated energy drinks are a soda beverage of sorts as they are carbonated...but their classification may be different per FDA standards as they contain different properties...

Question I have is..."who argues about this shit?"....I recomend yall take up masturbaition as it's much more productive!

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
If it is carbonated, contains sugar, and is non-alcoholic, it's a soda. "Energy drinks" are just jacked up sodas (remember jolt) with different advert and hype. All the extra sugar negates any of the possible positive effects of the other ingredients anyway. If anything I would call them super soda. They all taste nasty and cost too much IMO, but to each his own, its your money/body/health.

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
ms07s;1427961 said:
If it is carbonated, contains sugar, and is non-alcoholic, it's a soda. "Energy drinks" are just jacked up sodas (remember jolt) with different advert and hype. All the extra sugar negates any of the possible positive effects of the other ingredients anyway. If anything I would call them super soda. They all taste nasty and cost too much IMO, but to each his own, its your money/body/health.

I concur with this assessment,
carbonated sugary beverages are soda

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Sparkling grape juice (basicly non-alcoholic sparkling wine) isn't soda.

You're also ignoring the health risks of energy drinks by calling them "soda." Would you give a kid any of those energy drinks?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
No, and to be honest I wouldn't give them any sodas either. Dentist bills are not cheep, and future sports stars need to breathe.

Sparkling grape juice doesn't have high fructose corn syurp added does it?

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Well some points that need to be made.

In 2004 France,Denmark,and Canada banned the sale of RedBull due to health concerns.
Major concers are increased heart rate,Hypertension,and Heart Palpitations.
Consequences of drinking energy drinks during pregnancy include but are not limited to
Miscarriage,Low birth weight,and Difficultly delivering/ ( BBC,2001)
Several deaths have be reported in Sweden ( BBC 2005)
An 18 yearold died in Ireland after drinking 4 cans before a basketball game. ( I have had at least 3 cans of cherry coke since I last posted).

Some useful links.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/5753.php
http://brianx.com/nightlife/energy-drinks.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/19/health/healthspecial/19drinks.html

On this web site i found a caculator to figure out how much it would take to kill me at 180lbs
http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine
Rockstar 76.78 cans
Coke 356.09
Coffee.114.28
Pepsi 323.29

Still think it is just soda with a kick?

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Poodles;1428004 said:
Sparkling grape juice (basicly non-alcoholic sparkling wine) isn't soda.

You're also ignoring the health risks of energy drinks by calling them "soda." Would you give a kid any of those energy drinks?

Are you trying to say sodas are healthy and you would give your kid soda????????

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Theres nothing wrong with these energy drinks so long as they're not drank like water like alot of these dumbass kids do because they think its cool. imo they should just bar minors from purchasing them, they dont need them anyway really.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Never said soda was healthy, but I have no problem giving kids caffeine free sodas. I myself don't drink caffeine as I know it can do weird things to you and also builds up and addiction.

Energy drinks need to be seen as stimulants and not drinks. It's the same as taking energy pills.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Poodles;1428285 said:
Never said soda was healthy, but I have no problem giving kids caffeine free sodas. I myself don't drink caffeine as I know it can do weird things to you and also builds up and addiction.

Energy drinks need to be seen as stimulants and not drinks. It's the same as taking energy pills.

soda drinks are dangerous in so many ways dude. Don't give to a kid. i mean yuo can do with your child anything you want but ingredients in soda have been proven to cause just a massive amount of damage on so many levels. its not hard to find info on dangers of soda drinks. heres just one of the many http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/07/09/soda-dangers-part-two.aspx

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
That article also says not to drink tap water :icon_roll

I'll pick it apart though:
•Phosphoric Acid: May interfere with the body's ability to use calcium, which can lead to osteoporosis or softening of the teeth and bones. Phosphoric acid also neutralizes the hydrochloric acid in your stomach, which can interfere with digestion, making it difficult to utilize nutrients.

Looking at my can of soda right here... Nope, not in it.

•Sugar: Soft drink manufacturers are the largest single user of refined sugar in the United States. It is a proven fact that sugar increases insulin levels, which can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, premature aging and many more negative side effects. Most sodas include over 100 percent of the RDA of sugar.

There is no RDA of sugar. Also keep in mind that fruits are naturally high in sugar. It's fuel, just like everything else you consume, if you don't burn it, you store it.

•Aspartame: This chemical is used as a sugar substitute in diet soda. There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption including brain tumors, birth defects, diabetes, emotional disorders and epilispsy/seizures. Further, when aspartame is stored for long periods of time or kept in warm areas it changes to methanol, an alcohol that converts to formaldehyde and formic acid, which are known carcinogens.

First off, I don't like artifical sweeteners. Second, nothing is "toxic." There is toxicity and at what levels do things become toxic. Aspartame has been tested worldwide and found to be safe at the levels used. Also keep in mind pure oxygen is toxic.

•Caffeine: Caffeinated drinks cause jitters, insomnia, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, elevated blood cholesterol levels, vitamin and mineral depletion, breast lumps, birth defects, and perhaps some forms of cancer.

I already said caffeine free ;)

•Tap Water: I recommend that everyone avoid drinking tap water because it can carry any number of chemicals including chlorine, trihalomethanes, lead, cadmium, and various organic pollutants. Tap water is the main ingredient in bottled soft drinks.

This plain and simple isn't true. They filter the water so that the product's taste can be tightly controlled and be duplicated in all their bottling plants.

•Soda is one of the main reasons, nutritionally speaking, why many people suffer health problems. Aside from the negative effects of the soda itself, drinking a lot of soda is likely to leave you with little appetite for vegetables, protein and other food that your body needs.

I've heard this before, but it's not the "demon drink" that people make it out to be. Ever see the fat lady going to McD's and getting one of everything and getting a water? (I have).

One can also argue that most "juices" have as much nutritional value as soda as most aren't truely "juice."

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
That article also says not to drink tap water :icon_roll

I'll pick it apart though:

Looking at my can of soda right here... Nope, not in it.

You might not know whats in it. Manufacturers are not obligated to list every ingredient. Under " natural ingredients " they can put anything they want including MSG and whatever else they want.

There is no RDA of sugar. Also keep in mind that fruits are naturally high in sugar. It's fuel, just like everything else you consume, if you don't burn it, you store it.

refined white sugar and fructose in fruit is different , fructose has much lower glycemic index. much more potent.

First off, I don't like artifical sweeteners. Second, nothing is "toxic." There is toxicity and at what levels do things become toxic. Aspartame has been tested worldwide and found to be safe at the levels used. Also keep in mind pure oxygen is toxic.

well take you chances with that one.

I already said caffeine free ;)

This plain and simple isn't true. They filter the water so that the product's taste can be tightly controlled and be duplicated in all their bottling plants.

did you ever see filters after their life from 5 or 6 stage RO unit? take a look some time and see what you are making your body process.

I've heard this before, but it's not the "demon drink" that people make it out to be. Ever see the fat lady going to McD's and getting one of everything and getting a water? (I have).

its not the people , its a medical research thus its a fact, not an opinion.

One can also argue that most "juices" have as much nutritional value as soda as most aren't truely "juice."

Last edited:

greg88

May 14, 2005
Lowell, Arkansas, United States
In my area there is a good mix of "national brand" energy drinks and n00bish "almost" energy drinks. The "almost" energy drinks always cost around $1 and don't do anything. The can always looks vaguely energy-ish, and they're kept next to the energy drinks. No vitamins or caffeine either.

Some energy drinks are legit, but I think the number of lame imitators pushes the entire category into "soda".

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I drink soda all the time and I'm as healthy as a horse..!!

(keels over and collapses)

seriously though, your body is not as weak as you think it is. We as Americans process so much shit it's not even funny, so worrying which will kill you first, Sprite or DrPepper is pointless in my opinion. Exercise regularly and try not to consume too much of ANYTHING (including water, look up hyper-hydration), as it's been said before, enough of anything will kill you...