Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 66.7%

• Total voters

Emik87t

GameOver
May 30, 2007
Iowa
Random question. Is an energy drink considered a pop/soda/coke(for those in Texas)? I've researched CSDs (carbonated soft drinks) and even texted that dumb commercial on TV that says it will answer any question, and still haven't received a real answer. Most people say no, but some say yes. So what do you think? Do you consider your red bull, amp, monster, rockstar, etc. to be a pop?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
an energy drink is just that, an energy drink..

do you call beer something else? Nope, it's beer..

same with soda, it's soda..!!

It's funny though, I always have this argument with my Chicagoan cousins, they say it's "pop", I tell them it's soda, and even point to THEIR can where it says "artificially flavored soda"...makes them feel stupid..

but yeah, anything other than soda is wrong (you can say soft drink but that sounds gay), like "tonic" or "pop" or whatever the hell else people call this delicious variety of beverages...

Emik87t

GameOver
May 30, 2007
Iowa
I kind of feel the same. They advertise as energy drinks, and when you ask what kind of soda they have at the bar, they don't tell you they also have redbull, at least they've never told me. Also, our QuikTrips have the energy drinks on the half of the store with juices, waters, teas, and things like gatorade. Soda is on the other side of the store with only soda. So then what is 5 hour energy considered? Pop? Energy drink? Energy shot?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Well, there are a few things there that I would address.

The bar doesn't include RedBull in their sodas list because it's not a fountain soda (it doesn't come out of a gun). To them it's an ingredient, not a beverage.

As far as QuikTrips is concerned, I'm guessing that's a convenience store/gas station type thing? Having the drinks separated could simply be, and probably is, a matter of marketing. If they surround a product by healthy things, the average person will assume it's healthy. And we all know they taste good, therefore it's healthy and yummy. BUY IT! (And don't pay attention to the ridiculous price, please).

As far as the 5 hour energy shots... I have no idea, I've never tried them.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Neodeuccio;1427661 said:
So what would you say differentiates a soda from an energy drink? Why is Amp an energy drink, but Mtn Dew is a soda?

Well, Mountain Dew just has insane ammounts of caffine, so does Vault, but those are sodas, while AMP is an energy drink designed to taste like soda, sort of like how RockStar has coffee flavored energy drinks, and fruit punch flavored energy drinks....

garebear1319

Jul 7, 2009
MA
Its not a soda for the sole reason that its a sports supplement, The reason it is not considered to be in the classification of a soft drink is that it is intended for "off road use only" hahaha like the anecdote there. But so the government could not regulate the amount of caffeine and other things they put in it they need to classify the drink as a sports supplement so it would not be a soda, and even if they did they have energy juice and energy coffee now so it would be a pretty one sided argument there are too many playing fields to just focus on just one. Just my 2 cents.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Energy drinks contain vitamin B complexes,taurine,ginseng,guarana,glucose,minerals,and carbohydrates in addition to a much higher Caffeine content of 80mg

Soda on the other hand doesn't,Soda contain High fuctose corn syurp,Sugar and Caffeine content of 35mg

Both are considered stimulants,

Soda's and Energy drinks although similar are in different classifications.
Beer and wine are similar but are to different drinks.
of.
Source info taken from: Uppers,Downers,and All Arounders Sixth addition Darryl S. Inaba Pharm.D.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
mattsplat72;1427784 said:
Energy drinks contain vitamin B complexes,taurine,ginseng,guarana,glucose,minerals,and carbohydrates in addition to a much higher Caffeine content of 80mg

Soda on the other hand doesn't,Soda contain High fuctose corn syurp,Sugar and Caffeine content of 35mg

Both are considered stimulants,

Soda's and Energy drinks although similar are in different classifications.
Beer and wine are similar but are to different drinks.
of.
Source info taken from: Uppers,Downers,and All Arounders Sixth addition Darryl S. Inaba Pharm.D.

Beer and wine literally are completely different, so that's a poor analogy. I'll ignore that one and move on.

Anyway, I bought a can of "Full Throttle Fury Energy Drink", which I have in front of me, and it also contains high fructose corn syrup and sugar. So your argument would then seem to be that energy drinks contains the same things as soda, but with more caffeine and a handful of misc organic compounds. So does that make energy drinks a subset of sodas?

tcsupra

Dec 4, 2008
MN
For the companies that make them they fall into 3 catagorys. soda, energy and new age. Soda= self-explaining. Energy= which is sports drinks (like powerade and gatorade) and then monster, amp and nos. New age= vitamin water, fuze and teas. Calling it pop or soda dosen't matter both came from soda-pop. Some places call soda coke even if there talking about mountain dew.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I don't outwardly notice a difference between before a can of full throttle, and after (aside from feeling a bit more awake, usually)... but if I drink two cans, oh boy do I feel wierd. I don't know how to discribe it, but just... wierd. There's an optimal time for me to consume the first can, just before I start getting tired. If I'm already drowsy and want to go to sleep, Full Throttle won't help.

That said, that shit is NOT equal to pop/soda, whatever you call it. It's loaded with stimulants and other chemicals your body would be far better off with out. If you drink that shit like water, you're not doing your body any good, that's for sure. The only reason I drink them is for long drives and I need a little extra kick in the ass to stay 110% alert.

Soda/pop is essentially water mixed with sugar and artifical flavours, then carbonized. Flavoured fizzy water if you will. If you have to struggle to pronounce the ingredients, it ain't good for you, no matter what the label says. Usually pepsi, coke, mountain dew, ect, are all easy to pronounce.