Emilio's Rebuild & Improvement Build Thread

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well here's some more pictures of my car, it's whole and working now, with just some tweaks to finish. The interior is restored and has the AEM Gauges installed, as well as the Infinity Kappa front speakers. The exterior of the car still needs some work, the paint isn't perfect, and there's some rust poking its ugly head through.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Jim came one last time (after a winter of storage) and picked it up to do the final tweaks. My turbo started smoking after only a few thousand miles, so I got it re-rebuilt by MDC. Also, the clutch fluid was leaking, and was virtually undriveable. So on the repair list is fixing the clutch, replacing the turbo, and fixing the quirky ABS sensor. Here are some pics of the car getting loaded on the trailer:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some pics when it's back!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well, I'll keep feeding this thread with pictures until I get more response...haha.

The Supra is back, and mom is DD'ing it, she snapped a few pics...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Since my thread is relatively uninteresting, you guys should tell me what you want to see. I've got a few more replacement parts on the way, as well as a hatch visor from the recent group buy.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well, the car is down again, it's STILL smoking, and it's likely due to bad rings (STILL!!) because of a problem with the rebuild. Hopefully, one day, it will be fixed....

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
Did you clean the entire intercooler/intake piping? that blown turbo you had could have pooled a ton of oil in there. And the engine rebuild may not have touched the intercooler and some piping. Otherwise you are having really bad luck!

B

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
very VERY nice..

one thing, is your driver's side door handle is a pre 89, just FYI..

man, your old cluster was h4xx0rd, your new one is nicer, especially the mileage..:D

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
bcg04;1024141 said:
Did you clean the entire intercooler/intake piping? that blown turbo you had could have pooled a ton of oil in there. And the engine rebuild may not have touched the intercooler and some piping. Otherwise you are having really bad luck!

B

Bad luck is the name of the game so far...:icon_mad:

I have yet to have a proper set of piston rings in this car.

MDCmotorsports;1024211 said:
Is the turbo doing ok? If not, lmk.

It should be, there's no reason not to...

RazoE;1024216 said:
very VERY nice..

one thing, is your driver's side door handle is a pre 89, just FYI..

man, your old cluster was h4xx0rd, your new one is nicer, especially the mileage..:D

I'm really happy with how the gauges turned out, especially now that the cluster seems stock, but it's a compilation of a few different years, and that the two aftermarket gauges are both AEM, and match each other well.

How do you know the driver's handle is pre-89? The car is a 1990...

From the information I've gathered so far, it seems that the story goes...

When I bought it, it was "rebuilt", but actually just disassembled and then put back together, so the piston rings were shot, as well as a few other problems. I thought it was the turbo, so I got it rebuilt by MDC.

After I discovered it wasn't the turbo's fault, the engine was rebuilt, with new rings and head and the whole shee-bang, and the rebuilt turbo put back on.

I think that's when things get crummy...

After the block was rebuilt, head bolted back on, and the engine installed, it was running very rich, and generally not running well. After a few days of troubleshooting, Jim found an animal inside the intercooler piping with a nest that was blocking intake airflow, hence the rich condition.

I think this caused two (very major) problems.
1. Particles may have entered the turbo, and torn the insides to bits, and wrecked my new turbo. (MDC: Now that I know this, I'm not sure I'm not very entitled to the free rebuild you so kindly did for me, since I thought it was just a fluke...PM me and we can discuss)

2. The rich condition caused the cylinder walls to glaze over, and the piston rings to not seat properly at the beginning of their life, so it was a double whammy of bad luck!

All in all, this is not going to well...but it looks like it will shape up to be functional sometime this summer, it's certainly testing my patience though...

The one bit of good news is that Jim has agreed to re-hone and ring the engine for free, and the turbo should be good now, so I'm on the right course.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Oh great, another bad update. I should just get rid of this car already....

Jim re-rebuilds the engine, no more piston ring issues..good right? Nope. It's still burning.

Jim has rebuilt this engine twice, and MDC has rebuilt the turbo...twice. And there's still tons of oil burning. I pulled a spare (unknown condition) turbo out of the closet. Installed. Still burning oil, and lots of it. I've finally come up with a nickname for this car: "Moby Dick" it's my white whale I'll end up killing myself trying to figure out.

So as a plea of sorts, I'm trying to find someone local to let me use a known good turbo on it and 100% confirm if it's the turbo seals or not causing the oil burn. I'll keep you all up to date...

*edit* I've owned the car for more than two years now, and put less than 7,000 miles on it....agh!!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
did you ever get a valve job and replace the valve stem seals or even bother to check the head to check and make sure its up to spec?

nice build... just sucks thats its been re-re-rebuilt.... i would be yanking my hair out...

and did you get the blocked bored to the right spec for those ross pistons? and re-honing the piston walls isnt going to make the rings seat any better... you need to make sure the spec is correct for those pistons!!!! too big a bore and you'll never get them to seat correctly...

i would DEFINTALEY hook up a pressure washer and back fulsh the shit out of those IC pipes and even pour some gas in there to make sure its nice and clean. or hell even scrap the whole system and just get a kit from ETS or something...

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
bcg04;1024141 said:

B

ttt

Also make sure an oil line isn't spraying on the exhaust or something weird like that.

Is the smoke constant at all rpms? only when you turn? only at WOT?

7000 miles in 2 years, I envy you :)

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
When the engine was rebuilt, the whole head was re-done, and everything was machined. Each time the pistons where changed, the block was honed.

The oil burn is quite erratic, on first start up, there's no oil as all that comes out of the exhaust pipe, only once given a little gas does burning oil come out the tailpipe. After you first accelerate, it'll send out huge clouds of burning oil at idle and WOT, just not at mid-throttle sort of levels. As I drive for longer and longer periods of time, the oil burn gets worse and worse requiring shorter idle times and less throttle to burn the oil.

I pulled the IC, and it was devoid of any large sort of oil reserves. Maybe a small coating of oil on the inside of the pipes, but no amount that could possibly match the huge cloud of insect repellent following me everywhere I drive.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
I've just read this entire build, sorry for the bad luck. Only 7000 miles in 2 years, Wow! :aigo:. That's only two oil changes hahah. Well, hopefully everything works out for you in the long run. BTW, your car looks sweet, love the wingless, it looks like a stock N/A.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Well if you wate tell this winter (when I upgrade my turbo) we can install my CT-26 on your 7m and see wat happens. I have less then 10 min. of run time on my Jim Hall engine and so far no problems with the engine, no oil burn, just the idle and TPS problem's :( If you have your car with you when you go back to school we can use my garage to swap it out if you would like ;)

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well I pulled my IC and took some pictures. There's certainly oil in there, but just a fine coating, not lots of it...

Draw your own conclusions I guess..

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well - Some news.

I pulled the freshly rebuilt turbo, and decided to take some pictures of how oily the exhaust wheel is (it is, the pictures don't really show it, but trust me) Jim also said that he tried a different turbo on the car and it cleared up the smoking almost right away.

And then I noticed...how F*%#ing cracked the wastegate port was. Argh!

So I went to investigate...and noticed a crack inside the exhaust housing...

Here are the pics!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

So I'm 99% sure I need a new turbo, and not to rebuilt this one. Time to go shopping!