Emilio's Rebuild & Improvement Build Thread

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Rennat;1124505 said:
how does the exhaust manifold look inside?

question i ask, is because maybe your exhaust valve guides are bad... or your valve stem seals...

It'll be awhile before I can get that answer for sure - I'm away from the Supra for about a month now. What should I look for?

Are the cracks in the exhaust housing of my turbo serious? I've never seen one cracked before, and I'm not sure what to look for.

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
emiliorescigno;1124481 said:
Well - Some news.

I pulled the freshly rebuilt turbo, and decided to take some pictures of how oily the exhaust wheel is (it is, the pictures don't really show it, but trust me) Jim also said that he tried a different turbo on the car and it cleared up the smoking almost right away.

So I'm 99% sure I need a new turbo, and not to rebuilt this one. Time to go shopping!

That damn turbo, what a curse.

I thought you had already tried another turbo (not just a rebuild) to handle the oil smoke issue, guess not? I'd ask Jim if you can have his ct26 or get one from a member on here for like $100 and run your car for a while to see if that eliminates the oil smoke. Then worry about engine and valve train.. start cheap.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well, I can do a quick summary of all the turbos/piston rings/etc. that have gone through my car...

1. Get car, has oil burn.
2. Replace turbo with a different used one, thinking that it was the problem.
3. Send in both old turbos for a core, get one back, rebuilt from MDC.
4. Problem doesn't go away, bring to Jim for diagnosis.
5. Jim discovers the bottom end/piston rings are bad, full engine rebuild (block & head) is done.
6. Get the car back - oil burn is still present. We suspect turbo again.
7. Send turbo back to MDC, Jon discovers problems in the turbo, rebuilds it.
8. During my impatience for the turbo to return - buy another used (JDM) turbo on the forums - never installed.
9. Turbo returns - Jim installs new turbo. Oil burn still present.
10. Jim checks over the engine again - piston rings were having problems. Block honed and rebuilt again. Oil burn still present.
11. Jim and & I install spare JDM turbo I had at my home. Oil burn still present.

Now...during step 10, Jim said he installed his brother's spare CT-26 from his MR2, and the burn went away almost immediately. This seems to be a tell-tale sign of a turbo being shot, but I don't want to take any more chances. I want to find a turbo, install it, and drive the car around before I just take a leap of faith buying yet another possibly bad turbo.

Brandon - any chance you have a spare good turbo, or if I could borrow yours for an afternoon or something to confirm the problem?

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
emiliorescigno;1125350 said:
Well, I can do a quick summary of all the turbos/piston rings/etc. that have gone through my car...

1. Get car, has oil burn.
2. Replace turbo with a different used one, thinking that it was the problem.
3. Send in both old turbos for a core, get one back, rebuilt from MDC.
4. Problem doesn't go away, bring to Jim for diagnosis.
5. Jim discovers the bottom end/piston rings are bad, full engine rebuild (block & head) is done.
6. Get the car back - oil burn is still present. We suspect turbo again.
7. Send turbo back to MDC, Jon discovers problems in the turbo, rebuilds it.
8. During my impatience for the turbo to return - buy another used (JDM) turbo on the forums - never installed.
9. Turbo returns - Jim installs new turbo. Oil burn still present.
10. Jim checks over the engine again - piston rings were having problems. Block honed and rebuilt again. Oil burn still present.
11. Jim and & I install spare JDM turbo I had at my home. Oil burn still present.

Now...during step 10, Jim said he installed his brother's spare CT-26 from his MR2, and the burn went away almost immediately. This seems to be a tell-tale sign of a turbo being shot, but I don't want to take any more chances. I want to find a turbo, install it, and drive the car around before I just take a leap of faith buying yet another possibly bad turbo.

Brandon - any chance you have a spare good turbo, or if I could borrow yours for an afternoon or something to confirm the problem?

I had a few spare ct26's but sold them, been on the TD06 for a while. I have all the custom piping/lines/DP so won't be taking the turbo out sorry.

Someone must have a spare ct26 sitting around, or post in wanted. Hopefully you can then take what is left of the summer here and try another turbo and get a reading on that smoke issue. And I'd also clean the heck out of everything while you swap turbos.

I also wonder if using one of those kits with the black light oil leak/flashlight wouldn't be a bad idea here. You could clean things, go make a few boost runs around the block, then take things apart and easily see any oil in the turbo, IC, intake etc. May help you identify where it is or is not coming from. I dunno..

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
Rennat;1125573 said:
and he could install a catch can between the PCV and the intake to see if thats where the oil is coming from. just another way to isolate the issue...

good call. Do that first but hook it up right. i have had cracks on the wastegate part of the housing on my CT with no oil residue anywhere . And don't know if i would target the turbo so quickly even though that crack doesn't look good.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well - luckily I'm only about 2 miles away from where SupraSport is, so I'll be able to get the Catch can, and if it comes down to it, new turbo from them without too much trouble.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Good news - no more oil burn with a new turbo!!!!!!!

Runs pig rich now though - I still have to check the timing and O2 sensor. Hopefully I'll be up and ready to go in a couple weeks.

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
emiliorescigno;1154278 said:

Runs pig rich now though - I still have to check the timing and O2 sensor. Hopefully I'll be up and ready to go in a couple weeks.

great to hear!

Hmm pig rich now... and you are on stock AFM/electronics. Maybe check your CSI (cold start injector) switch or whatever it is. Last time my supra was stock, it ran rich due to a failed one of those.

Otherwise check all of your IC piping maybe you have a leak/crack.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
emiliorescigno;1154278 said:

:cry: But now I dont have a turbo, since it is in your poopra :cry: But at least we figured it out what was causing the oil to burn. (no shout out for me :( ) You just had bad luck with turbo's. It was a looooooonnnnnnnnng weekend to just swap the turbo. (other, lets say "problems", came along the way) Also remember to replace the hose clamp from the IC piping to 3000 pipe, we couldn't get as tight as I would have liked to.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
92nsx;1154948 said:
:cry: But now I dont have a turbo, since it is in your poopra :cry: But at least we figured it out what was causing the oil to burn. (no shout out for me :( ) You just had bad luck with turbo's. It was a looooooonnnnnnnnng weekend to just swap the turbo. (other, lets say "problems", came along the way) Also remember to replace the hose clamp from the IC piping to 3000 pipe, we couldn't get as tight as I would have liked to.

Aww man now I feel like a dick....

I'm using rob's turbo, and he pretty much saved my life, because until now, people just couldn't send me anything but shit for turbos.

But yeah - Rob you pretty much kept me in the Supra game, either of my old turbos are yours (but why would you want them?), I think beer money sounds like a good idea though. :icon_bigg

Other "problems" came up, but I think those should be kept hush hush until Sean makes a thread about what NOT to do...that's some embarrassing shit...:sarcasm:

Once I have time, probably this weekend, I (or we?) can start going through all the things that might cause it to be so rich. Hopefully I can get my hands on a proper turbo elbow as well so I can hook up Sean's downpipe with the wideband bung - certainly would help out.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
emiliorescigno;1154963 said:
I'm using rob's turbo, and he pretty much saved my life, because until now, people just couldn't send me anything but shit for turbos.

No problem, at least <crossing fingers> you can get a few miles on it before the snow comes.
But yeah - Rob you pretty much kept me in the Supra game,
Well the supra is way better then and HONDA you could trade for:evil2::evil2:

Once I have time, probably this weekend, I (or we?) can start going through all the things that might cause it to be so rich. Hopefully I can get my hands on a proper turbo elbow as well so I can hook up Sean's downpipe with the wideband bung - certainly would help out.

Just give me a call. If anything I still have the OEM elbow from the turbo that is just a paper weight to me we can use on your car. Or just remove your DP quick and add a bung to it. (drill hole and weld on) I can make a bung for you quick. PM me the thread size and pitch.

bcg04;1155026 said:
That is really nice of you to do Rob! MN love :)
Thanks Don, yes MN love, we have to give those Cali boys a run for there money. Also long time no log in or hear from you. Busy summer?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Rob - if you don't mind me using that elbow that would be perfect. Sean's DP is a full 3", mine has that crappy 2.5" inlet. Having that wideband hooked up will really help out with diagnosing my richness.

I can just go down to SupraSport next time I'm home in Stillwater (more MN Supra guys - woot!) and get a 3" Elbow then, and call it a day.

Figgie - think you'll have your car all ready to rock by next spring? We need an MN meet, I think Minnesota Supra owners are finally coming out of the woodwork :icon_bigg

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Emilio if you need anything let me know, being local I have tons of extra parts OEM and aftermarket.

92nsx;1155036 said:
Thanks Don, yes MN love, we have to give those Cali boys a run for there money. Also long time no log in or hear from you. Busy summer?

I was just explaining to Figgie how you and I met back in Owatonna like 6 years ago (bought a R154 from you) LOL. Then your bro came over to pick up the interior, that's last I heard LOL.

I think once all of us get our cars running, we will then be able to represent MN well :)

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well guys we have kind of a pickle, there's only 1 good turbo between Rob & I, so if any of you local MN guys have a spare working CT-26 give me a jingle. It'd be nice to see them all working at the same time. :icon_bigg