ebay recirculated DDP - fitment and specs?

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Sorry, dragging my feet big time getting the car running again.

Anyway, I had the DP coated at JET HOT. It was shipped back to me on Tuesday, so I should have it shortly. I will definitely update this thread and my build thread as soon as everything is fitted.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
dugums said:
You should buy it from 935 motorsports - they are a forum sponsor and will be much better to deal with than any ebay seller.

Ebay sellers have about $50 of profit built into their shipping charges, so when all is said and done, buying from 935 is no more expensive. They even helped me out and shipped it directly to my coater!

https://935motorsports.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=1435

Ends up being the same price as on eBay after including shipping.

eBay = 249.99+73.00
935 = 299.99 + $23.45

You sure have a lot to say about e-bay sellers. Most of which is not true. A product is a product no matter where it is sold.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
suprarich said:
You sure have a lot to say about e-bay sellers. Most of which is not true. A product is a product no matter where it is sold.

What did I say that was untrue?

I simply stated I thought it was a better deal (even though the same price) through 935 motorsports.

The main reasons being that they are an authorized vendor on this forum and I have done business with them before.

I buy many things on ebay, but all things being the same, I opt to do business with someone who has treated me fairly in the past AND is present the forum that I use daily.

If there is something that I said that was "untrue" I would ask you to point it out - I don't want people thinking I am a liar.

On another note, some ebay merchants have started selling this downpipe about $50 cheaper ($199 + $73 shipping), which makes it about $45 cheaper through certain ebay sellers compared to 935.

Last edited:

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Well, I got the DP today. I won't be able to comment on fit yet, as I won't be installing it for about a week.

As far as quality, it's top-notch. The welds are perfect, and it seems like it's going to provide pretty good flow-through. It looks to be the same exact thing as the ZW my friend has. There are no kinks or disruptive turns in the main pipe, and the wastegate pipe routes all the way down into the bottom of the DP, not entering the main pipe until it is parallel. This should create some good flow and reduce turbulence. Other recirculated DDP's route the WG pipe into the top portion of the DP and enter at an almost perpendicular angle.

I can't comment on how good the SS looks, as I ugli-fied mine with JET HOT 2000 Black ceramic coating. The coating job was done well, very even and inside and out. The only issue I see is that it looks like they may have coated the part with the bolt for the secondary O2 bung still in. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The coating is the texture of 150 grit sandpaper, but will not break down whatsoever in EGT's up to 2400 (which I believe is very close to the melting point of steel). Our EGT's get to around 1500, so I am well under that. Some of the chrome ceramic coatings are called 2000 degree safe, but I have seen many that have started to pit and deteriorate under normal temps. I also got the turbo exhaust housing and exhaust manifold coated in matte black, so I should be able to move quite a bit of heat out of the engine bay.

Anyway, here are the pictures:

682kpht.jpg

53ymf6e.jpg

4q8q076.jpg

6806c1k.jpg

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
So far, color me impressed. I have a few (potentially stupid) questions:

Other DDPs don't come with the hole up at the very top, right (I believe that's the secondary o2 bung)? What are the benefits of having that if it's not standard? If you don't use it, how do you plug it (or if you have it is it necessary to use it)?

Sorry for my confusion! I appreciate all your info and help!

-James

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
We sell them too, I have a polished one in my hands, the Tig welding is very nice. Very thick flanges. I am impressed with them.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
theprodigy79 said:
So far, color me impressed. I have a few (potentially stupid) questions:

Other DDPs don't come with the hole up at the very top, right (I believe that's the secondary o2 bung)? What are the benefits of having that if it's not standard? If you don't use it, how do you plug it (or if you have it is it necessary to use it)?

Sorry for my confusion! I appreciate all your info and help!

-James

There is a secondary o2 bung for a wideband installation. It comes with a plug already in it. You don't need to use it, but a wideband is a great thing to have!

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
dugums said:
Well, I got the DP today. I won't be able to comment on fit yet, as I won't be installing it for about a week.

As far as quality, it's top-notch. The welds are perfect, and it seems like it's going to provide pretty good flow-through. It looks to be the same exact thing as the ZW my friend has. There are no kinks or disruptive turns in the main pipe, and the wastegate pipe routes all the way down into the bottom of the DP, not entering the main pipe until it is parallel. This should create some good flow and reduce turbulence. Other recirculated DDP's route the WG pipe into the top portion of the DP and enter at an almost perpendicular angle.

I can't comment on how good the SS looks, as I ugli-fied mine with JET HOT 2000 Black ceramic coating. The coating job was done well, very even and inside and out. The only issue I see is that it looks like they may have coated the part with the bolt for the secondary O2 bung still in. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The coating is the texture of 150 grit sandpaper, but will not break down whatsoever in EGT's up to 2400 (which I believe is very close to the melting point of steel). Our EGT's get to around 1500, so I am well under that. Some of the chrome ceramic coatings are called 2000 degree safe, but I have seen many that have started to pit and deteriorate under normal temps. I also got the turbo exhaust housing and exhaust manifold coated in matte black, so I should be able to move quite a bit of heat out of the engine bay.

Anyway, here are the pictures:

682kpht.jpg

53ymf6e.jpg

4q8q076.jpg

6806c1k.jpg

It looks awesome! CAN"T WAIT for you to give us your fittment report!!!!

If you don't mind, how much did the Jet Hot job cost? I think that was a good option on coating.

Now where is that report!!??!! :aigo:

...oh, that's coming.... see, I'm still excited. :icon_bigg

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Supra469 said:
It looks awesome! CAN"T WAIT for you to give us your fittment report!!!!

If you don't mind, how much did the Jet Hot job cost? I think that was a good option on coating.

Now where is that report!!??!! :aigo:

...oh, that's coming.... see, I'm still excited. :icon_bigg

They will coat it in base 1300 sterling for $70, 1700 extreme sterling for $120, and JET HOT 2000 for $150.

The extreme is probably suitable, but I do things a little overkill. As the temp rating goes up, the finish gets more gritty/less shiny.

The 1700 is pretty much the same as most chrome ceramic "2000" I have seen. Keep in mind that temperature rating is only a guide as to "peak" temperature, not constant.

nokills

Apr 9, 2007
maryland
I bought that DP off ebay for 199 + 73 for shipping. I have it on the car now. It doesnt fit onto the back of the turbo easily, had to really muscle it on. The only thing i hate about this DP is that there is not enough room to put a ratcheting wrench or socket over the bolt on the left side of the wastegate pipe.
4q8q076.jpg

It took me a good hour to put it on, maybe it could have been easier if i would have loosened the turbo from the manifold.