Ebay "HKS SSQV" disassembled (pictures).

Status
Not open for further replies.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
-dangit, i posted this in build up by accident. Can someone move it to general. -

Well, I had heard the horror stories about how bad ebay BOVs are, but wanted to see if it was true. Like most of the mindless mantras chanted in the MK3 community, this proved to be yet another one that was false. People just talking without knowing what they are saying.

Here’s everything that came with it, in this picture I already have the valve’s main cover off. Came with Ts, a flanged pipe, spare bolts, allen keys, and an extra weld flange.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here’s a close up of the front part of the valve with the main cover off.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here I took off the rear cover, housing the spring and the rear valve.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

With the rear valve removed I checked the main shaft. Supposedly these are rough as hell. That wasn’t the case at all. Even before I removed the rear valve, shaft play was nice and smooth. Before putting the rear valve back on, I hit the shaft with some graphite lube and work it in. There was not a whole lot of difference, so that just further proved to me the shaft was perfectly fine.

Also notice the worst “casting mark” can be seen in this picture. It’s on the mounting flange. As in, non-critical. Not even an issue.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Mounting the rear flange back up, I put a bit of grease on the flange to help prevent binding. Also put a bit on the two ends of the spring as well. This is something I would do on a genuine HKS as well, it’s not because I saw some flaw in the knock off.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I saw ZERO problems with this ebay copy. I will have no qualms about running this on my setup.

Actually, the only “issue” was have having to drive the vacuum nipple into the rear housing. But that’s not a real issue…

Red Dragon

Keep That on the Down Low
Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
thanks for the Write up!!! but please clean your fingernails....:icon_razz

could you tell us what ebay user you bought that from, in case there are different "versions" of the knock off. At least with this guy you have some sort of idea of what you will be getting.

6o4turbo

It never ends...
Oct 27, 2005
B.C. Canada
Intresting, I always wondered how my SSQ knockoff compared to the authenic, now I know.

Thanks, and nice work.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
outofstep said:
I saw ZERO problems with this ebay copy. I will have no qualms about running this on my setup.

I agree, the fit and finish look good. From a quality perspective I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But I will never run one...

I have a philosophical problem with buying stuff like this. HKS did all the hard work. They did the R&D, the design and the testing. I want them to keep developing kick ass products, so I'll send them my money to ensure they continue.

I personally consider purchasing counterfiets like this a foolish way to save a few bucks. When HKS goes away, who is going to innovate? Not these guys in China or Korea who are making these "duplicates". They copy other peoples work.

But that's just my 2 psi, your mileage may vary.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I have the same BOC hanging around just haven't gotten around to installing yet.
I heard the same things. A magazine had a review on them compared to the actual HKS unit saying it was of poor poor quality but I did the same inspection as you and would not be worried about running it on my set-up.
I'll try to find the magazine but I agree with you, good job.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Agreed Mike - I'd just rather that people make this decision based on the idea they want to support the original developer rather than the impression that the copies are vastly inferior products.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Very true Mike and Dave.
However, HKS is a bit too pricey at times...

I will be running a knockoff wastegate, but if it fails, I'll be rebuilding it with HKS parts :icon_razz

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
That thing looks similar, but there has been proof with the knock of WG's using inferior material in their diaphrams...

And for me, Im with Mike and Dave, but also, Im not about to run 30psi and 800hp through my motor on a mimic brand... No matter how good it looks when you take it apart... HKS is pricey, but proven... PROVEN many times... I've got HKS bov's and their wg... Well, I have one bov now, I'll have another when its done...

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
pressure testing will be done by the end of this week.

FYI; jake, I'm coming to get my boost gauge now. haha

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Supracentral said:
I agree, the fit and finish look good. From a quality perspective I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But I will never run one...

I have a philosophical problem with buying stuff like this. HKS did all the hard work. They did the R&D, the design and the testing. I want them to keep developing kick ass products, so I'll send them my money to ensure they continue.

I personally consider purchasing counterfiets like this a foolish way to save a few bucks. When HKS goes away, who is going to innovate? Not these guys in China or Korea who are making these "duplicates". They copy other peoples work.

But that's just my 2 psi, your mileage may vary.
do you buy generic perscriptions?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
outofstep said:
pressure testing will be done by the end of this week.

FYI; jake, I'm coming to get my boost gauge now. haha

You want your FP guage too? lol... :biglaugh: I'll get them for you this weekend...

Justin: Generic drugs are made by major drug companies... It's not like some chinese sweat shop kids concocting a pill to make your head ache go away... All "no named" brands are made by major companies, however, there is no advertising, so thier prices are lower... 500mg of aspirin is 500mg of aspirin, whether it says Tylenol or Equate on the bottle...

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
tissimo said:
do you buy generic perscriptions?

No actually I don't. As a matter of fact I haven't had a prescription for anything in over 15 years.

And I won't set foot in a Wal-Mart either.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
supra90turbo said:
Very true Mike and Dave.
However, HKS is a bit too pricey at times...

More pricy then the cost of a rebuilt motor when the wastegate doesnt open?

I will be running a knockoff wastegate, but if it fails, I'll be rebuilding it with HKS parts :icon_razz

B

Boostaddctn

I would actually buy one, but my pride would not let me... i don't think I would be that proud of my car if I were to open the hood and there was a fake part under it :( but thats just me... aight peace :chicken:

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Even if it works fine after 10,000 cycles, its still fake. And when I say fake, I mean its a rip off of a ligit engineer's work.
Everyone makes a fuss about all the bootleg DVDs and CDs in Asia, this is no different.

Status
Not open for further replies.