Ebay 7M FFIM

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
About 2" longer than the stock lower intake manifold runners. He cut the flange off that normally fits to the stock upper and welded/blended the extensions between the plenum and runners.

He did do the EGR tube. The problem with running it inside or under is the way the stock EGR valve to tube fitting sits. It's higher than the runners and very close to the #6 runner preventing a curve down. It was just too hard to do and still employ the KISS principle. The tube is going to be ceramic coated black with a fire sleeve around it...it easily clears the fuel rail as well.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i can sort of see the blending now that you mention it... looks good.

and now that i think of how the EGR sits... i can see why you did it that way.
and im guessing you have ALL of the OEM hooks ups so essentially all you did was get a "better" (being an understatement) OEM manifold then?

you plan to ceramic coat the mani too or just the tube? either way it looks 100% perfect to me!!!

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Thanks! A lot of thought went into this...now i need to finish this motor to see if it works as designed ;)

There is one thing about the EGR that deviates from stock...I had to place the vac source behind (manifold side) of the TB plate. On the stock system it's just forward of the plate so vac can't be supplied to the VSV at idle...that's due to the VSV defaults to open without power. The stock ECU only supplies power above 4000 rpm or so. What all this means is the EGR will be open at idle and that's not good. I'm going to run an AEM EMS, so the solution is to have it look at IDL and supply power to the VSV when IDL is closed. It will cut off vac to the EGR and close the valve.

The only other mod will be a check valve for the PCV to prevent a boost leak. I also do not have a cold start injector...where I live (AZ) it should never be a problem ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's actually "plan B" if I can't get the AEM to cooperate. Take a look at the TSRM EGR diagram...the port is just forward of the plate. If I can't control electronically, that's what I'll do.

Exhaust gas in the intake charge makes for a very rough idle...cuts the amount of air too much

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
throw in an electirc switch between the VSV and the mani... and make it controllable with the AEM??? im sure YOU could figure something out... haha

i think we should get seth to do a GB on manifolds... :biglaugh:

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
jdub, do you have any more pictures of that FFIM?

With the engine in the car maybe? Does it clear the brake booster?

I see it retains both a/c and alternator in stock positions (apart from the drop down bracket).

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL...beat me to it ;)

I haven't dropped the motor in the car yet ;)
Seth has one just like it dimension wise in his car and it does clear the brake booster. The biggest problem is I can't use the studs on the head that help align the manifold during install. The length does not allow the FFIM to come far enough off to clear the shock tower. I'll have to use bolts all around.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
could you solve that by dropping the motor in WITH the manifold installed??... although then i guess you couldnt get it out unless you took out the studs huh? wouldnt that be funny if you didnt catch that before...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL...you bet I am ;)
I would be a real pisser to have to remove the FFIM in the car with studs...you'd have to pull the motor. Bolts will solve that easy.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
isnt that also in part due to you wanting the mid-length runners? if you had say... just the plenum welded to the lower intake mani, wouldn that clear? along with a Long runner setup would clear also wouldnt it? you just got the bastard child of the two that doesnt fit... haha

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The biggest effect is plenum volume and runner length. Short runners are not as good for low end...long runners are. Smaller plenum volume makes a high output turbo hit hard, larger volume will soften it up.

This FFIM has good volume to soften up the initial "hit" from the turbo to help control traction and torque *should* come on a bit sooner with the extra runner length. My auto tranny will help in the traction dept too. Everything is a trade off...the theory is good, but the real test is to run it ;)

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
isnt there a saying that "everything works as a theory but not in reality"... something like that...

whats the better combo for a ct-26 or a smaller sized turbo... defintaley smaller than that to4z that your slappin on your car.. haha

short + big plenum?
long + small plenum?

please school me in the ways of the intake manifold. haha

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i've done enough reading on oil tonight... i'll start on that tomorow... i try to tackle one aspect of the 7m each week/day... depends on how lazy i am.

you should take some more pictures of that sweet manifold you have though. show it off damnit!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jdub: a bit offtopic, but if the EGR was leaking at low speeds, would the car have high HC's?

My idle is a bit off and I can't track it down, and I failed for HC's on the low speed test...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yes, if the EGR valve is stuck open or the modulator line from the EGR valve is clogged you can get get excessive exhaust gas dilution at idle. The motor will idle pretty rough though.