Early Vs Late 7M Blocks

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
So when did they start putting squirters in the GTE? Because the one I pulled from my 87 doesn't have them. What could this mean?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Some 87's had them (the posted Light Block is an 87)

Have heard from a few guys that some didn't though, might have been a running change/hot climate thing like Aussie NA's had Oil Coolers.

Dani87x

OATHKEEPER III%
Oct 11, 2009
Miami FL
Great thread! As for the oil squirters, would there be any performance difference if it wasn't present as opposed to a block that has them?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IJ.;1650382 said:
that people are going to do what they're going to do...

Not a gen y MA70 owner. Surely you jest.
plain.gif

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dani87x;1761894 said:
Great thread! As for the oil squirters, would there be any performance difference if it wasn't present as opposed to a block that has them?
7M's have enough cooling issues as is without adding thermal load, for an occasional high output engine you can get away with no squirters but I see them as an integral part of the cooling system as they pull a lot of heat away from the pistons and may raise the detonation threshold and increase power potential.

Nick M;1813367 said:
Not a gen y MA70 owner. Surely you jest.
plain.gif
LOL not in this case ;)

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I didn't see it mentioned here but from what I have seen I am fairly certain that the light blocks have two large allen plugs at the left rear of the block whereas the heavy blocks have two small core plugs in their place. I've never seen a heavy block with those allen plugs nor have I ever seen a light block with core plugs in that spot.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Beefy_Heafy;1578316 said:
its an ma70 and it has the old style block and 6m crank
my '89 had a 6m crank as well... not sure about the block though that thing was HEAVY (still probably was the old one)

it was a MA70... 5spd turbo from the factory

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
I'm in the process of rebuilding right now... I really really needed this thread. Thanks all.

A question. For Ij. or anyone really.

Which would you consider better. Heavier 7m block and 7m crank or some variation of the lighter block and 6m crank?

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
Click here to view the original image of 800x337px.

Doesn't that change the strength of the crank?? And, what dis something like that cost?

O, you're from Down under... Prices probably will be different...

ANYONE ELSE HAD THEIR CRANK KNIFED?? (Lol)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
RogueCustoms;1831109 said:
Click here to view the original image of 800x337px.

Doesn't that change the strength of the crank?? And, what dis something like that cost?

O, you're from Down under... Prices probably will be different...

ANYONE ELSE HAD THEIR CRANK KNIFED?? (Lol)

Doesn't weaken the crank. Yes I do, can't remember how much it was I bought a lot of other things.

Looks to be around $800 thru IPP performance Parts for a stock crank and the knife edging that's with bearings I believe.