Early Vs Late 7M Blocks

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
gats;1609065 said:
Same boat as me mate, my car is an 04/89 Aus-spec GTE with a late block & 6M crank... More of the weird '89 model obscurities I guess :confused:

Haha makes me feel a bit better I guess. :D
hey you're also in the progress of a rebuild :)

Last edited:

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Is there any reason to hunt down a "heavy" block instead of the "light" one? Or can they handle about the same power/torque?

I'm about to pick up an engine, but I don't know if it's a "heavy" or "light" one and at this price it's pretty hard not to pick it up...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
By now most of the light blocks will have the infamous deck cracks, not to mention even thinner cylinders from errosion of the water jackets from jackasses NOT running coolant.....

Up to you but I wouldn't build a performance 7M on a light block these days.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
mmmmmmmm...... I've got my own opinion on that. The material the head is made of becomes non-homogenous from the heat leaving the upper layers soft while leaving the inner layers still in their original state.
I've hardness tested a head that was supposed to be junk (annealed) before and after machining and discovered the latter statement to be true. The heads seems to get a case "softness" in some situations.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I've found most to be T1>T0 on the exhaust side and for me that's Junk....

Carved up an early head I had here and it was t0 right through hence my suggestion to test it at least before dropping coin on a rework.
(but having said that people are going to do what they're going to do and on reading your post I'm betting the majority will use that as justification for not even checking)

head1.jpg

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
IJ in your description you called the 87 a light block but in the pictures you labeled it as a heavy block.. or am I looking at it wrong?

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
Yes, the pic is labeled right, extra ribs=heavy.
But the heavy block in the pic is also the 87 one, isn't it?
IJ.;1577307 said:
the light block is an 87T the Heavy is my New 93T from Toyota.
In your first post I think you accidentally called the 87 light.
Or am I the one thats confused?

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
Ok it was me then. I was confused I always thought the 87 was heavier then later they tried to cut material costs by slimming it down a little. Sorry!! :biglaugh:
Thanks for clearing it up.
Feel free to delete anything I've said.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
LOL no probs, they actually made them heavier/thicker/stronger, oddly it started with the GE blocks before the GTE's though, possible explanation was the Group A engines were all cherry picked GE blocks without Squirters so sort of makes sense.

M engines are quite an old design that was expanded many times over the years, almost all the legacy mounts are still on the very last of the 92 GTE's i.e. Where the Cam Cover vent goes into the block was the Distributor mount from the earlier engine, Mechanical fuel pump boss is still on the block as is the Cam to operate it on the AUX shaft.

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Maybe I missed it, but whats the weight difference between the early and late model blocks only? I should have weighed mine as I have an early model block in my 1990 and a late model block in the shed (cracked). I opted for a good condition early block for my rebuild and its hold up strong. I just wonder how much weight I'm saving with that choice.

Dennis

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
survyor2;1652920 said:
Maybe I missed it, but whats the weight difference between the early and late model blocks only? I should have weighed mine as I have an early model block in my 1990 and a late model block in the shed (cracked). I opted for a good condition early block for my rebuild and its hold up strong. I just wonder how much weight I'm saving with that choice.

Dennis

No idea on actual "weight" to the Eye Toyota have added +2mm EVERYWHERE so I'm "guessing" it would have to be 15>20 lbs.

The newer blocks are much more stout from a performance perspective but as always this is a double edged sword, mine had a lot of core shift compared to my early blocks, what happens here is the Inner surfaces of the block are offset in relation to the outside surfaces so you will have a thick and thin wall in the cylinders BUT (there's always a but) Even with Core shift the thin side "should" still be thicker than a 18 year old Thin block that's cast on centre so would still be preferable especially if you're going past 84mm bores.