Dual Stock Intercoolers?

McGyvr

Oct 15, 2008
Independence Mo
www.myspace.com
I saw a post on here a not too long ago that mentioned using dual stock intercoolers. While pulling several other parts from an 87' parts car, I picked up the intercooler for a song and dance, but now I can't find the thread about mounting a second intercooler on a 91.

I also pulled the electric fan (about 16"?) and mounted it in front of the radiator and pulled the mechanical fan (it was in BAD shape anyway); So I have all kinds of room BEHIND the radiator, but it seems like it would be counter productive to mount it there... But then again, I have no idea just how hot the air gets comming out of a shimmed CT-26.

Sugestions? Writeups? Pics? Or do I just have an intercooler to add to my stack of spare parts? lol

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
it was done, but the gain wasn't worth it extra weight and airflow restriction to the radiator...

and fix your fan setup, a pusher isn't nearly enough...

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
thebadz32;1276461 said:
but isnt the clutch fan a big power loss? i know sometimes when u can hear that going i can actually feal some power loss

If you can actually feel the power loss, you have more problems than a fan clutch can give you.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Mechanical/clutch fan > electrics. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

As for dual stock IC's, not worth it. You'd be better off with a Spearco replica or something along those lines. (or a Cartech if you can find one)

McGyvr

Oct 15, 2008
Independence Mo
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the input guys. So far I've not had any problems with heat, even after a 45 minute Kansas City Traffic jam... BUT, it was only 68 outside at the time, but I'm keeping a VERY close eye on it and so far havn't gotten any hotter than with the stock fan... slightly under half gauge. However, my phone (with an accelerometer) shows noticeable gain when it is in the mid 60's outside.

As far as the second intercooler, one post I saw was "Why"... I've shimed my stock turbo and am aware of how hot they get at high RPMs, so basicly, I'm looking for a cheap ass way to cool the air a bit more at higher RPMs. But it looks like I'm going to have to do some cutting behind the noseclip to get two of em' in there, and cutting on such a great car just seems like a sac-religous thing to do just because I'm unemployed! lmao

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
68, tha tis not hot.

Wait until the first 90 degree day. Your car will be one of the heat casualties ;)

As for the 2 IC. 2 inefficent IC = more flow but the same crap efficency. A good single one does wonders for temps.

And being unemployed.

Some advise. Do not mod! Modding will ultimately lead to more part breakage, maintanance etc.

McGyvr

Oct 15, 2008
Independence Mo
www.myspace.com
figgie;1278540 said:
68, tha tis not hot.

Wait until the first 90 degree day. Your car will be one of the heat casualties ;)

As for the 2 IC. 2 inefficent IC = more flow but the same crap efficency. A good single one does wonders for temps.

And being unemployed.

Some advise. Do not mod! Modding will ultimately lead to more part breakage, maintanance etc.

OK ok ok... the stock fan is back on! But no Mods!?!?! MAN!!! I gota' Mod SOMETHING!!! After my last mod to the washing machine my GF won't let me mod anything else in the house! Maybe I can put this extra turbo and intercooler on the lawnmower.... :naughty:

Anyway, I'll hold on to this extra intercooler. If anyone in the KC metro area needs one, hit me up and I'll pass it on to ya' for a song and dance. I only gave $15 for it and not looking to profit off it.

Thanks for all your experienced input folks!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
McGyvr;1279195 said:
OK ok ok... the stock fan is back on! But no Mods!?!?! MAN!!! I gota' Mod SOMETHING!!! After my last mod to the washing machine my GF won't let me mod anything else in the house! Maybe I can put this extra turbo and intercooler on the lawnmower.... :naughty:

Anyway, I'll hold on to this extra intercooler. If anyone in the KC metro area needs one, hit me up and I'll pass it on to ya' for a song and dance. I only gave $15 for it and not looking to profit off it.

Thanks for all your experienced input folks!

well here is how I see it.

There is no one "MOD". You do a group of "mods".

Ie, if you do a cat back, you also do downpipe. Which will require intake mods. One the OEM hg, this will lead to a higher possibility of detonation which leads to the OEM headgasket leaking (BHG). So that needs to be addressed. Since you are in there, ARP bolts or studs, machine work etc.

In a blink of an eye. $2000 dollars, GONE.

You can mod, just remember that it is a trickle down effect ;)