Dual or single tip muffler

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
GrimJack;1477532 said:
Well, one big advantage is that the dual tip mufflers don't look that big... and as a result tend to attract less attention from the local law enforcement. Depending on where you live, that might be worth considering.

This. Cops don't even bat an eyelid at my dual tip.

When I had my big 4" fart can on, they were all over it.

AP1FreaKsLiDe;1482981 said:
The Blitz is out of the question if you live in Virginia. Look for the HKS Dual exhaust. It's pretty close to stock.

HKS Dualie is good, but can be pretty loud depending on the muffler you choose. I had the above-mentioned 4" fart can on mine, and it was stupid loud. (GREAT tone though!)

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
Custom 3" downpipe and 3" exhaust back to a Vibrant dual tip muffler. I've never been a fan of the single tip muffler on a MKIII.

downpipe.JPG

DSC05815small.JPG

DSC05805small.JPG

DSC05821small.JPG

DSC06052small.JPG

DSC06054small.JPG

DSC05800small.JPG

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
Koenigturbo;1483530 said:
How does this muffler compare to the Tanabe Modallion Touring?

I considered the Tanabe because so many had posted good things about it and that the sound was much more subdued than most MKIII exhaust systems. I wanted the HKS dual tip exhaust system, but nobody had them and the used ones I found were pretty rough. It was then somebody suggested I have an exhaust system built for the car.

The guy that built the exhaust system has great tig welding skills and has built many, many different IC plumbing setups and exhaust systems. I ended up spending about the same money on a custom system as what the Tanabe would have cost me.

The sound of the Vibrant muffler along with a Vibrant resonator is about perfect IMO. It's a little louder than what I was originally hoping for, but I have grown to really like it. Keep in mind I was after a nearly silent exhaust system, so most people here it seems would find my exhaust note tastes to be very mellow.

The system doesn't drone on the freeway and is very enjoyable. However, when you stomp on it the tone does come alive!

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Woody1989;1483592 said:
So, I take it Zumtizzle likes the dual tip over the single? <grin>

Thanks!
Brad

Brad.

Thats a damn good setup looking you have.

What are your head/engine mods and could you post a clip so i can decide if your exhaust sounds as good as it looks?!

:naughty:

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
Zumtizzle;1483630 said:
Brad.

Thats a damn good setup looking you have.

What are your head/engine mods and could you post a clip so i can decide if your exhaust sounds as good as it looks?!

:naughty:

Thanks again for the compliments. Here is a shot of the 7MGTE before I had the ETS 4" intercooler w/polished stainless pipes installed.

Here is I think the only picture I have of the 7MGTE with the ETS system installed. Out of focus and a dirty engine, but it shows the different IC plumbing.

The 7MGTE has Eagle rods, Wiseco pistons, HKS cams, original HKS exhaust manifold, Powerhouse Racing fuel rail w/RC550 injectors, AEM Gen1 EMS. The setup was able to push about 420WHP before the exhaust and ETS IC upgrades. After opening up the intake and exhaust (and adding a little more boost) the car really came alive. I never got the chance to put it back on the dyno, but it felt like 500WHP. lol

I decided to pull the 7MGTE and embark on a 2JZGTE swap. Most of the 7MGTE parts have been sold except the short block and maybe a few other items. The swap is coming along and I'm hoping to see the car running again in the next month or two.

Here are a couple pictures of the 2JZ swap progress as of this past November. We have a bit left to do, but we're getting close. Still trying to decide on which engine management system, but we're leaning towards the EMS 6860. AEM Gen1 is wasted spark and I hear the AEM Gen2 is still having software issues, so I think the EMS 6860 is a good fit for me today.

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
Woody1989;1483731 said:
Thanks again for the compliments. Here is a shot of the 7MGTE before I had the ETS 4" intercooler w/polished stainless pipes installed.

Here is I think the only picture I have of the 7MGTE with the ETS system installed. Out of focus and a dirty engine, but it shows the different IC plumbing.

The 7MGTE has Eagle rods, Wiseco pistons, HKS cams, original HKS exhaust manifold, Powerhouse Racing fuel rail w/RC550 injectors, AEM Gen1 EMS. The setup was able to push about 420WHP before the exhaust and ETS IC upgrades. After opening up the intake and exhaust (and adding a little more boost) the car really came alive. I never got the chance to put it back on the dyno, but it felt like 500WHP. lol

I decided to pull the 7MGTE and embark on a 2JZGTE swap. Most of the 7MGTE parts have been sold except the short block and maybe a few other items. The swap is coming along and I'm hoping to see the car running again in the next month or two.

Here are a couple pictures of the 2JZ swap progress as of this past November. We have a bit left to do, but we're getting close. Still trying to decide on which engine management system, but we're leaning towards the EMS 6860. AEM Gen1 is wasted spark and I hear the AEM Gen2 is still having software issues, so I think the EMS 6860 is a good fit for me today.

this looks like its going to be a great car when it is finished. cant wait to see the finished product. oh and do you have your own personel hydraulic lift. thought i saw one in one of the pics.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I have the apexi n1, single tip, and for those that claim this exhaust is loud. I personally hate loud exhaust therefore had a custom made one to my liking, but until i put my n1 on, let me tell you, its a lot less loud even comparing to the greddy sp my cousin has. And those sps are really quiet. I like both style, single tip (except the rsr exhaust, its FUGLY IMO), and the all time dual n1 from apexi that you probably won't ever find.

stonecoretx

Dec 21, 2009
Texas
I have a related question. what are the diamaters of the stock original 7mgte exhaust piping. mainly after the cat. 2.5 inch?

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
Needboost;1484049 said:
this looks like its going to be a great car when it is finished. cant wait to see the finished product. oh and do you have your own personel hydraulic lift. thought i saw one in one of the pics.

Thanks! I sure hope so!

No, the picture of the car on the lift is at BDJ's Racing here in DFW. It's a small fabrication shop. Brian is the owner and the guy that fabricated the exhaust system for me.

Sure would be nice to have my own lift, but I'm not sure one would fit well in my garage. Good excuse to add an addition onto the garage.....right? lol

Best,

Brad

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
Woody1989;1484284 said:
Thanks! I sure hope so!

No, the picture of the car on the lift is at BDJ's Racing here in DFW. It's a small fabrication shop. Brian is the owner and the guy that fabricated the exhaust system for me.

Sure would be nice to have my own lift, but I'm not sure one would fit well in my garage. Good excuse to add an addition onto the garage.....right? lol

Best,

Brad

i was about to say ur really lucky to have your own lift. yea just tell the wife or gf that the addition to the garage is adding to value to the house she will never know if your sneaky about it.:evil2: