Driveshafts

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
One piece steel = cheapest
One piece AL = more expensive but lighter
Two piece = more expensive but added safety and smoothness (I think still lighter than stock)

Either Jawsgear or Shaftmasters would be able to build you one. However, I think only Shafmasters make the two piece.

EDIT: Here is some info and opinions. The two piece has an AL rear section.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60186&highlight=Shaftmasters

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
There's a lot of discussions about this and the one piece driveshafts are only around half the critical speed at 120 MPH. Unless you plan on going as fast as a Veyron I think a one piece is just fine.

Supra-Kid315

Nov 5, 2007
Cambridge
I believe driftmotion.com also has both steel and aluminum one piece driveshafts. The steel is around 350 and aluminum I think another 100 bucks extra, don't quote me on the price but its around there. I plan on buying the steel 1pc from there myself.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
GotBoost?;947736 said:
I wonder if anyone knows of any aftermarket ds dyno testing. Does lightness (reduced rotational mass) make any measurable power?

Piratetip gained from 10-15 RWHP with his lightweight one piece D/S. The stock D/S is 34-38 lbs. The 1 pc is around 11-14 lbs depending on material.

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
Ma70.Ent;947738 said:
Piratetip gained from 10-15 RWHP with his lightweight one piece D/S. The stock D/S is 34-38 lbs. The 1 pc is around 11-14 lbs depending on material.

i didn't dyno my car until after i put the one Pc. steel one on,
i noticed no difference in performance but the vibrations and humming went away.:biglaugh:
i've had the 1 Pc. over 250KPH with no issues.

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
jeff @ Jawsgear, put down 720 rwhp on his 2jz-gte on a steel one piece driveshaft and he's done 20+ times down the 1/4 mi strip

and i know smiley in fl, has put down a lot of hp with our one piece driveshaft and the diff we built for him

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
lilazni3uoy;947848 said:
jeff @ Jawsgear, put down 720 rwhp on his 2jz-gte on a steel one piece driveshaft and he's done 20+ times down the 1/4 mi strip

and i know smiley in fl, has put down a lot of hp with our one piece driveshaft and the diff we built for him

Who's "we"? You work for Jaws?

Carbon is also another option you forgot to add. It has worked for me. You can buy them from Titan.

Duane

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
I have a 1-piece steel made by jawsgear. my jawsgear drive shafts vibrates mega-bad at like 60mph, and anything above 90~ i was also told when i called that if i wanted it to look GOOD. that i would have to pay an extra $50 for that "special touch" that should have already been applied when i sent them my $360.
im going with a shaftmasters aluminum one piece next time. and its cheaper than the jawsgear... but this is just me, so maybe i just got a "lemon"... lol

just call shaftmasters, they were nice, polite, and were even willing to FIX my jawsgear driveshaft for a good price. unlike somebody....

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
BorHor;947907 said:
That sucks. Jaws has always been good to me :)

My Jawsgear took forever to get here the first time, and it didn't even fit. They said it was my fault, so yeah whatever, it really wasn't :p They had to send me another, but it seems to be fine now, although I think it starts vibrating at 80 MPH, or maybe it's just me. shaftmasters agreed to rebalance it for me though for 35 bucks, so I'll do something like that in the future.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I've heard nothing but great things about shaftmasters!!!! I emailed them to ask how long it would take to make a drive shaft upon recieving my money and they said 24-48 hours. As soon as I can I'm getting the single piece al drive shaft.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Most people are replacing a 90% stuffed 20 years old 2 piece with a 1 piece so they have the placebo effect + a real improvement and rave at how much better their car is.

I doubt you would see a measurable difference on a dyno just by switching out a good 2 piece for a 1 piece.
(would need to be averaged over at least 5 runs per shaft on the same day)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
IJ.;948001 said:
Most people are replacing a 90% stuffed 20 years old 2 piece with a 1 piece so they have the placebo effect + a real improvement and rave at how much better their car is.

I doubt you would see a measurable difference on a dyno just by switching out a good 2 piece for a 1 piece.
(would need to be averaged over at least 5 runs per shaft on the same day)

I want a single piece for the simple fact that it get rid of the carrier bearing that toyota wants $269 for..... And it gets rid of the center universal joint....less bearings to maintain means less headache (atleast in a perfect world)