drag racing with the targa

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
has anyone raced down the strip with their targa off?

i did it for a laugh one night... and surprisingly enuf there wasn't really that much drag... i think once i put it back on i gained like .1 of a second lol

but it was cool :D
and i said to them that i had my roof, just wasn't exactly where they normally are hehe

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I heard that the targa can twist so much so when you do that sometimes, that re-installing the top becomes very difficult, and in one case I heard of, the guy couldn't even get it back on.
eric

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
for how much "targa wobble" you get with the top off i dont now how you guys deal with that.... let alone drag w/ it

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Stretch said:
I heard that the targa can twist so much so when you do that sometimes, that re-installing the top becomes very difficult, and in one case I heard of, the guy couldn't even get it back on.
eric

I dont know that sounds kinda far fetched. Like one of those stories where the two kids are at lovers lane and some guy with a hook for a hand escapes from jail. Of course there is flex but i severely doubt the fact that you are bending the chassis of your car.

Also in reference to being the tallest mk3 driver... how tall are you?

My buddy jared is 6'5 i think so you may have some competition.

MKIIINA said:
for how much "targa wobble" you get with the top off i dont now how you guys deal with that.... let alone drag w/ it

I HATE driving with the targa off... Not only is it a bitch to get on and off... the car feels like a bag of balls... supposidley though it gets better with strut bars and such.

Johnny Dangerously

I can eat planets
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX..
i feel the targa wobble is a bit exaggeratted IMO. I guess its because i have an aftermarket suspension, i dont even notice it.

it just seems like alot of you make it appear to be like a stretched out piece of bubble gum.

evilone

they call me Tatter Salad
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Worth
i will have to agree with Johnny on this one and i dont have an astermarket suspension setup yet.i have draged on the street with the top off many many of time and i dont notice any twisting or wobble that is said about ther targa.i have had my first supra (which is a targa) for about 6 years nw and i can put the top on and take it off just as easy now as i did the first time i did.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
my targa doesn't 'wobble' hardly as much as everyone bitches......I love my targa. I think MOST of the people talking trash about targas are the ones that don't have them. If I go for big power applications, I will get a hard top, but as for now - mid HP range - the targa is fine.

I asked when I dragged if I could go with the top down and they said no......and they said that body flex would be pretty bad if I did so.....Now I've launched my car in the past at WOT with the top down, so I think that's a load of BS....but rules are rules.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I dont know... it's not HORRIBLE... I'm just personally not a big fan. Plus it seems like every time i take the damn thing off it starts to rain... Even if there isnt a cloud in the sky.

A remember a while back someone was trying to make those targa bars to reduce flex while the top was off. I though that was an awesome idea.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Ive noticed at low speeds with the targa off the thing is very shaky. and things like a rubbing clutch are amplified. But at highway speeds the car was completley stable.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Alright, you guys are probably right about the flex issue. My targa wobbled noticeably at lower speeds and I always looked at the windshield moving back and forth, cause I couldn't see past it.
cramerizking, I'm around 6'11", so I do have some height on your friend. I found the supra to be the most comfortable car i've driven steadily. My Honda 91' prelude is roomy, but still smaller than the supra :)
eric

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I had mentioned once about seeing if anybody wanted to make some "targa bars", but I don't know if anyone ever followed through with it or not. I really like have the targa off and it rides pretty stable, I think. I've got the strut bars front and rear and bigger sway bars as well with Tokico shocks and their springs. Some cowl shake over bumps, but not bad...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heh, i'm like 5'9", and like 120-130 lbs. tiny little dude. it's my weight reduction. ;)

-shaeff

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
last time there was a thread about this on SF, how tall you are, it seemed like everyone was above 6'6. it was pretty funny :)

B

Boostaddctn

drjonez said:
not legal here in the states.

yup, is everyone else talking about street racing or really racing down a track with the targa off? aight peace