Does the JDM GTE ecu have a speed limiter?

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
Lovely.

Anyone know please?

www.mk3.us/mike
2009 Zr1 Vette
2006 Duramax Chevy-Banks everything
1992 Mustang LX-stroked, blown, intercooled and meth
1988 Turbo-11 second hardtop on pump gas
1988 MR2 SC -restored
1983 Corolla SR5

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
I am under the impression that when equipped with a JDM ecu the car will have a speed limiter at 110MPH like some other applications.
Since I drag race my car and hit 120MPH plus trap speeds I don't want to run into this problem if I swap ecus.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Mike Morris;1144380 said:
I am under the impression that when equipped with a JDM ecu the car will have a speed limiter at 110MPH like some other applications.
Since I drag race my car and hit 120MPH plus trap speeds I don't want to run into this problem if I swap ecus.

These cars DO NOT HAVE SPEED limiters.. Iv got mine well over what your numbers are.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
If im not mistaken all JDM cars excluding the Factory modded ones have speed limiters at 112mph (180km/h). By law this is what it needs to be which is why even the mighty GT-R is limited to 180km/h on the streets.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
JDMMA70;1144403 said:
If im not mistaken all JDM cars excluding the Factory modded ones have speed limiters at 112mph (180km/h). By law this is what it needs to be which is why even the mighty GT-R is limited to 180km/h on the streets.

Ask the guys on here, and we'll see I have a friend who has a JDM ecu with a JDM 7m-Gte and he goes well over that.

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
First you answered you have the jdm ecu and have hit faster those speeds.
Now in the second post you say to ask guys on here and your friend has the ecu?????

So does anyone have a stock JDM ecu in their car? Have you hit a speed cut in it?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
hvyman;1144297 said:
i didn't think that our cars had a speed limiter
Your own key word is OUR cars. Our cars were not sold in the Japanese domestic market.
92TealSupra;1144386 said:
These cars DO NOT HAVE SPEED limiters.. Iv got mine well over what your numbers are.
READ his question!
JDMMA70;1144403 said:
I believe you to be correct. Thank you.
92TealSupra;1144404 said:
Ask the guys on here, and we'll see I have a friend who has a JDM ecu with a JDM 7m-Gte and he goes well over that.
I doubt it.
92TealSupra;1144417 said:
Opps, you're right on that, I meant to say I have got my USDM ECU over that, sorry about that..
Make up your mind.

What I'm getting at here, is that if you don't know, don't open your mouth! Seriously, guys, this is the TECH section. The last thing we need here is bad information. :nono:

Mike, if you do end up getting a JDM ECU, (I'm assuming this is your way around running sans EGR?), contact this guy:
http://www.racerjake.com/

There's a very good chance that he would be able to remove the speed cut. Possibly even user 3p141592654, or jetjock, as I know they're both very familiar with the TCCS. Maybe figgie, too.

I've got a JDM ECU on the way (hopefully it's authentic), and I'll be looking into ways to remove the speed cut.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
i too have a JDM ecu on the way. and will let you know within the next few weeks whether or not it has a speed limiter. also will be looking at ways to remove it if it does.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
shaeff;1144467 said:
Your own key word is OUR cars. Our cars were not sold in the Japanese domestic market.

READ his question!

I believe you to be correct. Thank you.

I doubt it.

Make up your mind.

What I'm getting at here, is that if you don't know, don't open your mouth! Seriously, guys, this is the TECH section. The last thing we need here is bad information. :nono:

Mike, if you do end up getting a JDM ECU, (I'm assuming this is your way around running sans EGR?), contact this guy:
http://www.racerjake.com/

There's a very good chance that he would be able to remove the speed cut. Possibly even user 3p141592654, or jetjock, as I know they're both very familiar with the TCCS. Maybe figgie, too.

I've got a JDM ECU on the way (hopefully it's authentic), and I'll be looking into ways to remove the speed cut.

What I am saying is I do not have a JDM ecu. A friend of mine does though. He paid almost 300.00 for it, and he tells me he wanted it so he could eliminate the erg system. Anyhow that is all I have to say.

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
This is what I found with search:

Jeff Lange;131878 said:
1JZ-GTE has a 180km/h (110mph) speed limiter, as do 7M-GTE's in Japan, if I remember correctly.

The Supra does NOT have a speed limiter in North America.

Yeeeep.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'm with Shaeff on this if you guys don't start actually reading posts and answering with correct information I'm going to start handing out week bans until you do...

Once is bad enough but there are a vew repeat offenders that aren't getting the message.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW FOR SURE STFU TECH IS NOT THE PLACE TO GUESS OR INFLATE YOUR SENSE OF SELF WORTH AND POST COUNT