Does anyone here have interest in a header?

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I've contacted Thorley tons of times over the past 3 years. They seem to have no interest in continuing production of the Supra header.

They used to make a version that was universal. It had a 5M and 7M piece that was each to change out at the bottom. In order to sell the maximum number of headers, you have to make the same header with different lower sections.

If George @ Raptor makes a 7M bottom piece for his header, it will be much easier then starting from scratch.

iMod

Oct 9, 2007
Centralia/Chehalis
I've been planning on making my own headers for a while now. I've been reading and researching them and the theories and stuff behind them. I've also got one quarter left till I get my AA in welding, so that should help a lot. I'm planning on making them when I'm pretty set on a design and stuff.

I didn't know that stainless steel is good to make them with. It makes sense to me now though. It works out well cos the job I just got requires me to weld stainless steel with MIG so I guess I can consider my time at work "practice time" for when I do the headers. Whenever I get around to making them and getting them on my new Supra I'll be sure to get it on the dyno and see if there's any improvements. I guess it'll all just be trial and error.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
gofastgeorge;1068847 said:
Here is a Hooker header for a 4M (black one).
Same port spacing as 7M, different flange.
1.5" primarys, 2.5" collectors.
I bought a billet flange from eBay seller mx83*gx81
that I plan on replacing the 4M flange with.

And a Toyoshima header (yellow).

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]
sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]
sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

Do want. And heat wrap is the devil. I thought everyone knew that. Ceramic coating is the only way to go.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Well there are too many different headers that we want, so I think we should start voting on the one we want, and who we want to get it made..

TRG22

May 18, 2007
UK
I would love to be in on this but the shipping would kill me...!

Does any one have a source for the head flange, may try knocking one up my self.

Raptor Racing

Supramania Contributor
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
935motorsports;1069638 said:
I've contacted Thorley tons of times over the past 3 years. They seem to have no interest in continuing production of the Supra header.

They used to make a version that was universal. It had a 5M and 7M piece that was each to change out at the bottom. In order to sell the maximum number of headers, you have to make the same header with different lower sections.

If George @ Raptor makes a 7M bottom piece for his header, it will be much easier then starting from scratch.

Ok so I have some good/bad/interesting news. We had a MK3 in the shop last thursday to mount 'the tri-mill copy' and guess what: it didn't fit. The motor mount bracket used to bolt the 7MGE to the MK3 Chassis is a few inches back from where it is on MK2 Chassis. This change in mounting point for the bracket is something I just didn't evne think of till we realized it didn't fit. So the 'Tri-mill copy' will fit a 7MGE in a MK2...NOT a MK3. That was pretty heartbreaking as we were going to build the extension pipe and jig it.

Plan 2 was to grab my Thorley that I lent out to do a test fit. But I just met up with a friend who has a Thorley in a MK2; and unless I'm on crack there is NO way I can see this header clearing the motor mounts in the MK3. Has anyone seen a Doug Thorley header on a MK3 before? Robert you said that Thorley used to offer MK2 and MK3 headers? I really don't want to spend half a day in the shop again so if someone can confirm this that would be awesome...but just looking at where the bracket for the mount bolts onto the motor I just can't see the Thorley clearing that mount.

I guess this is news to me but this is obviouisly why there were 2 pacesetter designs...the motor mounts. I'm sure you guys knew...sorry I didn't know :(.

So I hate to say it but I've exhausted(no pun intended) all my option in trying to get a header out there for the MK3. Building a MK3 header from scratch is just not feasible; unless someone has a deep personal interest in it. Again these are just my thoughts; but the way I crunch the math there is just no way to build/design a new header and keep it under $400...it's hard enough doing that copying.

On a more positive note; since we had the customers car for the whole day we built a 2.5" system and jigged it...it will be very similar to my 3" cat back systems. I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I have so please check my vendor section if you have any questions on this.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I have another thorley here, I will see about test fitting it on the MK3.

I had what I thought was a thorley years ago. It had 2 extensions, one for MK3/MK2. It could have possibly been a TRD header.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
935motorsports;1378463 said:

I had what I thought was a thorley years ago. It had 2 extensions, one for MK3/MK2. It could have possibly been a TRD header.
Don't remember seeing a TRD for MK's.

Raptor Racing

Supramania Contributor
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
Robert;

I was under the impression that the MK2 TRD was a rebranded Thorley; so if that's the case and they didn't make a MK3 Thorley then I can't see there being a MK3 TRD. I'm sure someone here has an older TRD catalog, that would be a good place to start looking.

boostin300

Jul 23, 2009
Las vegas
Pacesetter is junk and loses its coating within a matter of months. I've heard of them cracking with just mild use. Don't believe there's a warranty.

OBX is better but still sucks. Lifetime warranty though if I remember right.

Raptor Racing

Supramania Contributor
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
935motorsports;1378463 said:

As of 1990 there is no TRD header for the MK3: 1990 TRD Catalog

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
boostin300;1379347 said:
Pacesetter is junk and loses its coating within a matter of months. I've heard of them cracking with just mild use. Don't believe there's a warranty.
Mine has been on the car for 2 years now with no cracking problems.
Most likely the one that cracked was installed wrong, and had tension on it from poor fitment to the rest of the system.
Any header will crack in that situation.

But yes, the standard coating is nothing more than to keep it from rusting before it's installed, most headers are like this.
The first thing I did to mine was go after it with brake clean, and take that crap off.

Last edited:

Raptor Racing

Supramania Contributor
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
When I bought a Doug Thorley for my MK2 back in 2003 I actually asked them to pull it off the line before it went into for coating. I don't trust any of the 'aftermarket' coating on headers these days; I took the header and had coated locally. 6 years later although the shine is gone the header is still 100% rust free.

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
I am wondering what the consensus is... i am very interested in headers but has it become unreasonable? or is there a group buy in our future???

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
From what is available, go with the OBX. I've had mine for at least 3 years, with no issues. Still nice gold color, and shiny. No need to worry about rust or coatings(other than for heat related issues) with stainless, and the tubes are mandrel bent, wich has a smoother flow.

I think it's 935 that offers them with all the necessary fab work done to make it right?

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
Ive had the Pacesetter headers since April, I got the car in March. The only problem I had with them is that the bolt holes were drilled too small, so I had to redrill them, and broke two bits in the process. Also the O2 sensor wire will either need to be lengthened or relocated. Mine is currently unplugged cuz I havent lengthened the wire yet.