Does anyone here have interest in a header?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
There's a definite balance to the placement of O2 sensors. Too close to the head and you'll burn through them or just get inaccurate readings... many wide band controllers don't provide feed back if the sensor is over heating... If you're tracking per the overheated sensor you could find yourself in BIG trouble.

Another reason to place the O2 sensor further downstream is a more everaged sampling. Anyone else here seen dual wideband kits? They're used so you can keep the O2 sensor decently close (so you don't have to go all the way to the final junction) and to provide a much better view of where the whole engine is as far as fuel mixture is.

With the WB sensor connected to one runner, well, that cylinder could go rich, the ECU leans everything out and five other cylinders get real hot. Not how I'd do it, but I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people who would say it's fine.

Direct bolt on compatibility isn't such a big deal for me... I just don't want to have to start adding more bends to the system. What size is the final collector? ID and OD if you've got them.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
2" ID I believe.

This is the stock merge collector; two 2" to 2.5"
junautoservice-img600x450-1205287363sany0011.jpg

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
We already sell bolt on pacesetter and OBXs.

Regarding the TRUST bolted to 7mge,a new lower section would have to be made to bolt into MK3. It will bolt to the head just fine, just need to make sure there isn't a distributor issue.

That can be solved by running 7mgte electronics, which wouldn't be a horrible idea on a heavily modified 7MGE anyhow. Anybody that wants to buy a TRUST header, I can order it.

You *could* send the TRUST off to get replicated by ChinaMan. The replicas would sell for around $300. If I was going to replicate anything, I'd rather do a thorley which already has the correct lower section for 7mge.

I'm running a 2.5" modified OBX until I can find evidence that I "need" bigger tubing.

If someone wants to volunteer to make a drawing or CAD of what the proper design should be, I can make one out of steel and send it to chinaman for mass production.

p1063153_1.jpg

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
RazoE;1063119 said:
what about those of us that just want to be able to bolt up a header, without worrying about wide band 02's and such...?

An extra O2 bung shouldn't add a thing to the cost and they're easy to cap. Trust me, it'd be nice to have already welded in and in the right place should you ever decide to add a wide band. As for the placement of the stock O2 sensor... well, I think it should be obvious why you would need to consider that.

Making a bolt on header is, of course, the primary target here. I never said forget it... I just said that if *I* felt the design was good enough to merit all the additional expense that *I* would pay for it... provided *I* had the funds. ;)

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
What we do with our headers is use a screw in style o2 sensor. It makes placement easier and gets the o2 sensor into the exhaust stream. We include a new bolt on o2 sensor as well.

This makes buying replacements easier in the future.

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
Just put a heated o2 sensor further down stream and problems solved.

The modified OBX seems like a good option. The mandrel bends and merge collectors seem to be very well made. I have a set that I would love to fit but they have clearance issues on right hand drive cars so I am back to our locally made crush bent hurricane headers.

Hurricane left OBX right.

Last edited:

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
God, copying headers is such a crock of shit.

Stop wanting to copy someone elses work, and come up with your own.

/rant

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Nobody cared when raptor copied the tri mil.

I don't see the problem if it is a rare discontinued part that nobody offers anymore.

I don't think any of the vendors are going to take the time to make a header from scratch. Our only choices are to modify what is currently out there, or have something replicated.

BTW the OBX is a copy of the pacesetter for 7MGE. The pacesetter for 5MGE and 7MGE have different runner designs. It would be interesting to see which is better.

Last edited:

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
^Nobody cared that you know of, I know of several people who are agitated about that.

If it's a rare, discontinued part, that's cool, but still don't market it as your own stuff. Aaron modifies the Pacesetters, but doesn't claim it as it's own.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Tanya;1063491 said:
^Nobody cared that you know of, I know of several people who are agitated about that.

If it's a rare, discontinued part, that's cool, but still don't market it as your own stuff. Aaron modifies the Pacesetters, but doesn't claim it as it's own.

I don't try to market modified parts as mine. I am honest about where parts come from (china usually), who made it, etc. People online tend to associate the company with the modified part.

Both of us have been referred to as having a "chimp header" or "935 header", when either version is just a modified pacesetter (or OBX in my case).

I don't want to copy any header at this point. There are plenty available for modification out there. What the NA crowd really needs is a nice twin tip quiet exhaust system like the old HKS.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
All right guys let's just get back to the topic. 935, you're willing to get it made?

As for the HKS Twin Tip thing, I agree that the N/A community needs that too. Everyone just runs those single canister muffler setups and they're loud as hell.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
You need to select a single person to decide on specifications. When 20 people are shouting about what they want, nothing ever gets done.

Put someone in charge, create a schematic, and then we can get the prototype built.

After the prototype is built, it will be sent over the waters to get replicated.

Unfortunately making each header in the USA is not cost effective. A china header can be made decently if they meet the required specifications.

Personally, I would make a header like this:

115964401_o.jpg

A few people have been able to get 200rwhp on IS300 with this design, so I think it is good enough for us. I can get one of these, take it apart, and re-weld it to a 7mge fitment. This way there isn't that much cost into it.

Raptor Racing

Supramania Contributor
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
Tanya;1063491 said:

**THREAD HI-JACK**

I'm sorry Tanya I didn't know it offended you!! For future reference how should I market it? I paid to have an out of production header copied; I paid for the modifications necessary to change it to my liking; I took the risk and invested thousands without the guarantee of one sale. What should I call it? Please don't take offense; I love you like a sister I'm just trying to understand this. Maybe I f'd up in my naming convention of this 'unit'; maybe I overlooked something...I'm always open to suggestion to better myself and my company.

I wish everyone who was 'agitated' by it would be man/woman enough to voice their opinion instead of hiding being their computer and have someone say on their behalf: 'several people were agitated'...it's not like i bite :rolleyes:.

For anyone else who is even vaguely interested; the header i COPIED for the MK2 will be test fit on a MK3 shortly. We're just waiting to book time at the dyno; get the car in the shop to make the downpipe and book time at the dyno again. Here is a link to the post on CS.com after I dyno'd it:

http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=25569.

When I am done and satisfied with the fitment I will have it up for sale in my vendor section.

935motorsports;1063592 said:
You need to select a single person to decide on specifications. When 20 people are shouting about what they want, nothing ever gets done.

I couldn't agree more Robert; everyone is an expert and has an opinion. Ideally this isn't a bad thing but when trying to get a product out there it adds major complications. Getting input from the community has it's advantages as you always want to try to please everyone, however there will always be the butting of heads. Good luck if going ahead with this; I love how as time goes on there are more products for these cars not less...Cheers!!

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I disagree with part of your statement ^^. Everybody is not an expert. They might have opinions but it doesn't make us/them experts. There was a thread started by Defiant, discussing the design of a good header for the GE. The thread as MA70 pointed out I think yesterday that it kind of died. A lot of good info in that thread about the best design for the GE. Defiant was working on a header, but he's MIA.

I think one of the important things that arose from that thread was equal length runners and tube size. It was determined that the Pacesetter was a little too small and the runners were not equal. There was a few other features that came up also, I'll have to go back and read. I have a Pacesetter, and as far as modifing it all I had to do was open up a few of the mounting holes, and the O-2 bung was wayyy down stream. Would have liked to seen a bigger collector also, but that's just my opinion, and I'm not an expert :)

Raptor Racing

Supramania Contributor
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
AJ'S 88NA;1063627 said:
I disagree with part of your statement ^^. Everybody is not an expert.

I do apologize; I was actually being sarcastic. I sometimes forget that sarcasm isn't so obvious on the internet...sorry. I should have said everyone THINKS they are an expert.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Raptor Racing;1063615 said:
**THREAD HI-JACK**

I'm sorry Tanya I didn't know it offended you!! For future reference how should I market it? !!

:runaway: and someday I'll learn how to shut my mouth...

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Raptor Racing;1063632 said:
I do apologize; I was actually being sarcastic. I sometimes forget that sarcasm isn't so obvious on the internet...sorry. I should have said everyone THINKS they are an expert.
I got it. I was being a little sarcastic myself :)

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
935motorsports;1063592 said:
I can get one of these, take it apart, and re-weld it to a 7mge fitment. This way there isn't that much cost into it.

This seems like a good plan.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Does anyone disagree with 935's plan? If it works on the 2JZ it should work pretty well for us. As long as the collector design is better, because the collector that comes on the OBX and Pacesetter headers look like an afterthought.