Does anyone here have interest in a header?

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Ma70.Ent;1063813 said:
Does anyone disagree with 935's plan? If it works on the 2JZ it should work pretty well for us. As long as the collector design is better, because the collector that comes on the OBX and Pacesetter headers look like an afterthought.

I'm with you fearless leader. Think we could turn this into a group buy and start collecting customers? I'm sure it would help 935 to have a set of committed buyers before he starts turning out parts for us.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
benchwarmer;1063825 said:
I'm with you fearless leader.

Haha is that sarcasm? :D

Think we could turn this into a group buy and start collecting customers? I'm sure it would help 935 to have a set of committed buyers before he starts turning out parts for us.

Yeah that's what this topic is for.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I looked at the set that was on the Celica forum and the looked to be pretty nice work.
If the issues that were addressed in the other thread and here I'd say sounds like a plan.

I would gauge interest in a group buy, you know things are pretty tight right now with most people, me included. I would love to have a good header made for a modified GE and one that would fit most applications, but to come up with a few hundred right now would be hard. Just my .02.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
That's why I'm hoping he can get the cost to be as low as possible, and possibly even lower if there is a Group Buy.

Another hope of mine: It's 2000 deg Ceramic Coated or T304 Stainless Steel :)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Ma70.Ent;1063862 said:
That's why I'm hoping he can get the cost to be as low as possible, and possibly even lower if there is a Group Buy.

Another hope of mine: It's 2000 deg Ceramic Coated or T304 Stainless Steel :)
If you check the link to CS that Raptor noted for some reason he didn't think the Stainless was necessary, just coated. The stainless would be more I'm sure, I know they sure look nice.

The coated would help hold down the heat to imporant parts wouldn't it? I'm more concered with a proper design, i.e. runner length, size, and proper placement of the O-2 or O-2's. I mean if all it was going to give a mostly stock GE is 10 hp then I would stick with the one I have until they rust out. Now if the gains were to be in the 15-20hp range I feel it would be worth it to a lot of GE owners.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Haha, does China even have access to Ceramic Coating? :biglaugh:

I'd rather have it coated too, but it's up to the vendor.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
They sure do make a lot of ceramic tile :)

It was mentioned in the thread that he was going to have it coated here in the states somewere.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Haha, it was just a lame joke against China, don't worry!

If this Header comes out to around 300-350, that'll be sick.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Let's not rush things though. As much as I'd like a nice header to see just how far I can push a stock N/A longblock I don't have the cash in hand and don't expect to until later in the year at the earliest. Many others are in the same position.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I have some solid works drawings of headers I can share, I need to clean them up, take some more measurements and add spots for the O2 sensor/s, but the general idea is there. I'm working without a NA manifold out of my car, so I can rework the down pipes if someone can give me some overall dimensions, I took the dimensions for the mount off a turbo manifold.

supraheadderej1.jpg

supraheadder2vm2.jpg

supraheadder3ga2.jpg

supraheadder4co1.jpg

supraheadder2pb6.jpg

supraheadder23ow7.jpg

supraheadder24rg3.jpg

supraheadder25dd3.jpg

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Here is a Hooker header for a 4M (black one).
Same port spacing as 7M, different flange.
1.5" primarys, 2.5" collectors.
I bought a billet flange from eBay seller mx83*gx81
that I plan on replacing the 4M flange with.

And a Toyoshima header (yellow).

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]
sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]
sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]
sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Tanya;1068877 said:
^The yellow header is a TRUST header.

Nope, sorry.......
I talked with the guy who had it for sale.
Toyoshima.
May be a copy, or look like a GReddy/Trust,
but the sticker said Toyoshima.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
::sigh::
I saw that header for sale on Yahoo Japan and translated the page.

It's a TRUST copy. IMO, copies are still basically what they were copied from, unless highly modified. To ME, that IS a TRUST. I don't care what name it has on it, or what color it was coated. TRUST has been around for a long time, these headers are old school.

I have this header, I know it intimately. What makes me angry is the fact that the TRUST header is still in production. Damnit, copy these things when they're discontinued for crying loud, wtf

I hate this kinda copy crap, just as I hate that TRD copied someone else's header. How fail.

p1068981_1.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
I have a set of pace setters that were wrapped in header tape for about a year till it started falling off from rotting. I brought the car to the garage that installed them and the headers were falling apart at the welds under the tape.
They re-welded the areas but its a matter of time before they have to be replaced.

How about a set of Doug Thorely headers, they sure look good,
here is a link
http://www.dougthorleyheaders.com/products/productID/935
they are for the mk2 2.8 Supra so should bolt up.

Also to consider on a mod for any header would be the heat shields from the original. Is it possible to weld studs so the original shields can used or come up with some way to make a bracket for them? I burnt the hose from the power steering one time going home from work. I was driving and saw sparks coming from the back of the car and said wtf, so I pulled over, opened the hood and the hose was on fire!

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
I would say yes to that but would only do it to a quality set like stainless.
The shop that put my pacesetters on over here said they could make me a set of stainless from scratch but the price quate was ridiculous at almost 700 dollars and not ceramic coated. I don't know if there is a shop here that could even do ceramic.
I would go in on a group buy provided they are at least stainless with an option for ceramic coating and have the bung for sampling the exhaust of all six cylinders and not on one tube like the TRUST set.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
If everyone doesn't want to spend much but wants an improvement over the stock manifold, how about doing something simple like getting the stock 7M n/a manifold, making the "primaries bigger", and changing up the downpipe/collector design, and making it out of material like steel/stainless steel. This way it will be lighter then the stock cast iron one. For durability purposes, have an option to get it 2000 deg Ceramic Coated.

Advantages of this, IMO:
Lighter Weight
Easy to Design (just copy the dime-a-dozen stock n/a manifold)
Will improve airflow a little bit (My idea is the equivalent of porting the stock manifold)
Cheap Cost (hopefully?)

Disadvantages of this, IMO:
Not as much gains as Headers

Keep in mind, this is for the guys without headers.

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
Ma70.Ent;1069463 said:
If everyone doesn't want to spend much but wants an improvement over the stock manifold, how about doing something simple like getting the stock 7M n/a manifold, making the "primaries bigger", and changing up the downpipe/collector design, and making it out of material like steel/stainless steel. This way it will be lighter then the stock cast iron one. For durability purposes, have an option to get it 2000 deg Ceramic Coated.

Advantages of this, IMO:
Lighter Weight
Easy to Design (just copy the dime-a-dozen stock n/a manifold)
Will improve airflow a little bit (My idea is the equivalent of porting the stock manifold)
Cheap Cost (hopefully?)

Disadvantages of this, IMO:
Not as much gains as Headers

Keep in mind, this is for the guys without headers.

Don't bother. It will be worse than the stock.

The longer the primaries the better it will work. The black one above is the best design I have seen yet. If it is going to be a tri-Y design then make the primaries long. Otherwise there will be too much interference between cylinders. This is what kills the stock manifold and the only thing preventing it is exhaust momentum due to the small diameter primaries.

That black header is gorgeous. Who ever designed that actually understands the unique requirements of an inline 6.