Does anyone here have interest in a header?

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Us N/A guys only have two choices for headers: Pacesetter and OBX. Pacesetter is mild steel which is pretty lame and according to a header thread it's not really the best choice for a modified platform. OBX on the other hand is stainless steel but they're not really known for quality, so is anyone interested in having quality headers being made? I can't really do it, but maybe a vendor here or someone else could be willing to design one and possibly make one.

Oh, here's an old exhaust header discussion thread for those who care about the whole Pacesetter/OBX "problems".

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65648

Just something I'd throw out there. There hasn't been too much discussion on these N/A forums lately.

Note: I have not seen or heard from Defiant7M/Allan in awhile, so I have no idea if he is still working on the header.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Well, if stuff would stop going wrong I would probably be interested. It's going to be a while before I'm able to drop in one of the turbos sitting in my closet... so I figure I'd see how far I can get with a stock longblock. Cams, adjustable cam gears and headers are next on the list after the ram.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned right now I'm strapped. But at some point this year I should be able.

The most important question is "how much?".

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
benchwarmer;1062824 said:
I'm interested. The only reason I don't already have headers is because I haven't found a design I liked.

We have to show enough interest and show a certain person/vendor (not sure who would want to step up) that we want a good header.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Get someone to agree to a nice staged header and I'll steal the money. It also needs to come with two O2 sensor bungs... on down stream enough not to over heat a wideband sensor.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Yeah I would hope the design doesn't come out to over 400 bucks. The N/A Community doesn't seem like they'd want to shell out over 400 for a Header :p

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
If I had the money to pay for it and to get my head professionally reworked (P&P and oversized valves) I'd pay $600 for a staged header... then I'd have to pay someone to plan out the rest of the exhaust though... hmmm... this could get downright nasty.

Okay, I'm on the cheap train again... :nono:

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Someone in WA should bring their piggy over here and test fit my TRUST header and see if it fits the 7MGE w/o issue. They're still being made by TRUST, but are expensive at $500.

They look the best though IMO :)

p1062945_1.jpg

p1062945_2.jpg

p1062945_3.jpg

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
It was a little bit, but worth it. It has 1 5/8" primaries, larger than the Pacesetter I know that.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Yeah, the pacesetter primaries are sort of small. What material is the TRUST header made of?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
DegreE;1062981 said:
^^ That looks like a pain in the ass to install.

^^^wimp. :icon_razz

My question about that particular header would be is there a collector for it that would bolt up and end anywhere near the MKIII's cat?

EDIT: Hell, will it clear our distributor? I can't tell from any of the 7M-GE pics I have.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
CRE, yeah that's one of the potential issues w/ this header, is the dizzy. I have no experience with 7Ms at all so I don't have a clue.

Also, the whole exhaust would probably need to be redone for the collector to work. I have heard of some mk2 peeps running mk3 exhausts, but no idea wtf they did to make it fit.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
To me it looks like it would clear the distributor. I think the O-2 bungs look a little too close to the head though. I think they should be moved to the collectors farther down stream.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
found a good exhaust/dizzy shot of the 7M,
from this pic it doesn't look like the TRUST header would be an issue,
the #1 primary stays pretty low
p1063033_1.jpg

edit*

AJ, yep. Look at the first pic I posted again. You'll see an addition on the first set of collectors, an O2 bung has been added for future wideband use. I have been using the original O2 bung though... was getting O2 sensor codes under hard acceleration UNTIL I changed from the 5M ECU to the 6M ECU

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Yeah I seen that Tanya, I would still think it should be even farther down then that. Those tube get HOT. :)

BTW MA70 asked if you knew what material they are made of?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Trust's site says steel, but doesn't specify if it is mild or not, I assume it is though. Although it is a bit heavier than the Pacesetters I believe. I was always under the impression that you want the O2 sensor fairly close to the heat source, not too close or far away, which is why I chose the location for the wideband bung.

Here's some pics of it when we first got it:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1063089_1.jpg

p1063089_2.jpg

p1063089_3.jpg

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
what about the 935 motorsports modified headers..?

i believe they're so expensive because they have to buy the headers and the modify them, how about someone buys a modified header, and can reproduce it at a lower cost...

sound good..?