do supras need premium gas???

All_star

Mar 2, 2008
South central
ill say about nd hour of driving but no smoke doesnt come out feels like it want ot turn off the whole engine is rebuilt i upgraded the piping to 2 and half nd i put in a kone filter should i change my injectors to 550cc

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
IJ.;1083842 said:
Running higher octane WILL cost you power if the car isn't tuned to make use of it.

That line was enough to make me stop reading the rest of the thread. I'll look over it just to see and not miss things but, anyway... :p

I run 87 without problems in my n/a. it's stock (duh?) and i've tried 89 and 91, no really apparent differences. i wanted to think 'premium' was helpin but i don't really know, and doubt it did. dont know what my timing is, i need to check it actually....it was fine last i checked though.

CaptMKIII

Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
Does the owners manual say what to run? I haven't had my Supra but for 2 weeks now and I don't really know what to put in it. Filled half the tank with mid and it seems to run fine, but if the owners manual says to use prem. then I want to run prem.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
CaptMKIII;1085220 said:
Does the owners manual say what to run? I haven't had my Supra but for 2 weeks now and I don't really know what to put in it. Filled half the tank with mid and it seems to run fine, but if the owners manual says to use prem. then I want to run prem.

I THOUGHT my owners manual (N/A supra) said premium, but it actually said not to run premium and I just read it wrong.

Dunno about turbo owners manuals. Unless they're the same?

hmmmm

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
JustAnotherVictim;1057248 said:
I don't see the big deal about a $2 difference on a fill up between gas choices.

EXACTLY!! :3d_frown:

My N/A ran great on 87. I'll never run less than premium in my turbo. I wish I had 93 pump gas here in CA because if I did, I'd still spend the extra penny(s).

Collin

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Back of my 89 turbo owner's manual:

Fuel: Use only UNLEADED fuel, Research Octane No. 91 (Octane Rating 87) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of Premium unleaded gasoline with a Research Octane No. of 96 (Octane Rating 91) or higher is recommended.

(The bold parts are bold because they're bold on the back of my manual)

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
Orion ZyGarian;1087474 said:
Why would an EGR system affect octane necessity?

egr is a knock deterent in that it dilutes the oxygen fraction in the combustion chamber

now that i think about that that feature just slows the flame rate but i know it gives some more buffer room before autoignition.