do supras need premium gas???

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
My Supra runs like shit when I put anything less than 93. She runs on 100+ from now on though, not about to risk losing the motor for a few dollars savings at a time.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Most people have done a head gasket job sometime sooner than 20 years ago, and in that time they (probably) cleaned up the combustion chamber and pistons etc. so saying the combustion chamber carbon and all is 25 years of build us isn't all that accurate for at least many of the people here.

7M-GTEric

Sep 27, 2007
Knoxville, TN
jetjock;1083228 said:
Best case, assuming it's stock or close, is you drive it for 21 years on 87 and nothing happens...just as it shouldn't.

The way I look at it is, if my motor's got 212k on it, and it's been run on 87 it's entire life, and it runs no differently the couple times I've put premium in it, I'm not gonna spend the extra cash for premium. Every car I've ever owned called for premium and I've never once had a fuel-related problem on any of them. Just my .02

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
JustAnotherVictim;1057248 said:
I don't see the big deal about a $2 difference on a fill up between gas choices.

Exactly. Its like people driving an extra couple of miles cause one station is 5cents cheaper. if you put 15 gallons in, thats not even a dollar more.

....people.......

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
For me it came down to I can make xxxrwhp safely before I'm skirting detonation issues on xx octane fuel.

I want more power than this so I step up to the best available pump fuel and will dyno again to find it's threshold.

You will make the MOST power using the lowest octane fuel that will run without detonation in your particular combination.

Running higher octane WILL cost you power if the car isn't tuned to make use of it.

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
correct me if im wrong, but the higher the octane the slower the burn right? All higher octane does is prevent high compression engines, or a turboed engine from pre detonation, or in easier terms exploding before its suppose to, the higher octane prevents that by burning slower, if your car isnt pinging on 87 then pre det. isnt happening so you should be all good esp. since you a NA, well that is if your stock, just depends on your setup and compression really, so I guess all you can do is listen for a ping, I think spark plug wear can tell a good story on what to do, not to sure about that but just my 2 cents yo.

o and ill agree with everyone else, the extra 2 bucks it takes to put 91 in is worth it, it could potentially save your engine and run better but only if the engine doesnt call for 91, a big misconception is putting premium in any car= better gas mileage and better performance, as of HC engines and turboed cars in performance area, yes, in gas mileage on any car, in LC engine putting premium may cause worse performance, its just redundant really, hope this helpe haha sorry for my crappy spelling little out of it

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
Supra-K;1083933 said:
correct me if im wrong, but the higher the octane the slower the burn right? All higher octane does is prevent high compression engines, or a turboed engine from pre detonation, or in easier terms exploding before its suppose to, the higher octane prevents that by burning slower,

You're wrong. Do more research on octane and its purpose.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

^octane for dummies.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
You need to let it go, it just doesn't burn slower. You're stuck on that idea, people are trying to correct you, point you in the right direction and give you correct information for YOUR benefit as well as the community's.

Take a breath, no need to snap.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
my solution to aruging about who is right is run the gas you think you can run safely or what you thinkt eh car shoudl run and lets see whos lasts longer they dont put it on their for no reason if it coudl run unleaded than they woudl say its remocomended for a reason

All_star

Mar 2, 2008
South central
ive been putting n 91 my shit is running like a champ but i have a fuel cut nd my supra is n/a wit a rebuild engine nd new fuel pump nd a new head gasket after running it for awhile i cant go past 3rpm it suck cuz i have to shift all the way to 5th wat u guys think it is

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
All_star;1084156 said:
ive been putting n 91 my shit is running like a champ but i have a fuel cut nd my supra is n/a wit a rebuild engine nd new fuel pump nd a new head gasket after running it for awhile i cant go past 3rpm it suck cuz i have to shift all the way to 5th wat u guys think it is

English subtitles please?

All_star

Mar 2, 2008
South central
ummm just recently ive been putting n 91 octane runs like a champ but after a long time of driving it starts to bog out around 3 thousand rpm nd i have to shift early so it wont bog out . i think i need to get new injector cuz i bought my car when it was just sitting for four years n a drive way lol