DIY: R-12 to R-134a Conversion (How To)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
My cheapy adapter leaks on the low side. New core and everything. :(

I'll be buying Toyota's $50 adapter this spring. Who thought a 1" long machkned aluminum adapter with a Schrader valve would be so hard to make well?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Alright I am finally getting around to doing the conversion and am going to take it to my mechanic to let him diagnose my system to check if I have leaks or anything, so I need to get the R134 service ports. Are these the ones I need from Advance Auto?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...r_15890308-p?navigationPath=L1*14922|L2*15017

I tried looking them up on Napa's site but not much luck unless I suck at using their site lol. I want to get them locally if possible.

Also I have a 91 MK3 can anyone tell me if one port is smaller or bigger than the other and which one? Thanks.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well I went to Toyota and told them what I needed and they didn't have the service ports, also on their diagram for my AC system it doesn't show the ports in the same place as they are on my car. They then told me to get it from an auto parts store.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Hopefully my dealer with have it thanks for the part numbers I really appreciate it. I thought the high side was better to have the 90 degree adapter? Isn't that the one on the compressor housing?

Just looked up those part numbers, $60 dollars for each valve?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
The low side is on the compressor housing. Make sure you know exactly what you are doing and how the system works before working on it, simply opening the wrong valve could cause a can to explode and I don't need to tell you how bad that can be.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I won't be working on the system I am just getting the valves then taking it to my mechanic where he can empty out the system then properly refill it with R134 but I just want to know if those valves with those part numbers are $60 each because that can't be right.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Doat;1922488 said:
I won't be working on the system I am just getting the valves then taking it to my mechanic where he can empty out the system then properly refill it with R134 but I just want to know if those valves with those part numbers are $60 each because that can't be right.

CyFi6;1922491 said:
Oh ok, I cant speak for the part numbers and if they are correct or not, but never underestimate Toyotas pricing :p

60 each is overpriced, but I'd still pay 60 each before going cheap again.

The hassle of having the cheap valves leak means you're out the cost of a new system worth of refrigerant plus labor whether its your own or a pros.

I wasted $60 on refrigerant on mine before I gave in to the fact that my brand new cheap valve was leaking. I'm sure some seal perfect, but I'd heard stories before and now I've lived through failing valves myself.

My strong suggestion is to go OEM. Champion toyota online should have more reasonable pricing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
OEM it is then, I did read some reviews on advance auto's site of people having their valves leak so screw it I'll pay extra for peace of mind.

Can you guys help guide me to finding the right parallel flow condenser? Also if I get a replacement OEM dryer from like Rockauto.com will that work fine with the R134 too?

Last edited:

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Will that also fit a 91?

I checked my vales this morning and I noticed that there is a 90 degree valve on my compressor, maybe the previous owner replaced them with R134a compatible valves? I will try to contact them.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Do you want me to do the work for you? I also live in Houston Just buy the parts and pay me for the labor

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I can replace the parts the only thing I won't do is refill the system lol, there is no freon in the system anyway so I am not worried about that spilling out or whatever when I replace these parts.