DIY power steering cooler using 3/8" copper pipe?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I've been looking around and can't find any info on this. I need to swap out my PS cooler as it's in the way of the oil cooler I want to install. The GE oil cooler jumps across the gap between the bumper support and the rad (and A/C condenser). I need to place my oil cooler between where the intercooler would go and the A/C condenser.

I could swap in a GTE PS cooler, but was wondering if a DIY PS cooler made in a similar for to the GTE cooler would work? I could put a couple loops of wire around the ends and solder them on to create a solid bead...

Workable? I think it would probably cool better too.

Would 3/8" be the right size?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I just bought a tiny Davies Craig cooler for mine, it doe a pretty important job so I wouldn't risk anything marginal. (look at most of the DNF's back in the Group A days and they were steering related after cooking the pumps)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I just figured it would be as good, if not a little better, given that it'll be copper as opposed to the stock steel one... just thinking of reliability. Just so much to shoe-horn in there you know?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ That was going to be my suggestion. Though, I was going to try to get it set up with -AN fittings.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Well, I'm N/A so no stock oil cooler present... I could buy one, but in that case I think I'll just try to find something small.

Does the temperature need to be regulated?

Can I forgo running hoses all the way up front by just cutting the stock cooler and running hose off of that?

EDIT: I had really intended this to be posted in "General Discussions". So if anyone feels inclined to move it... ;)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Why not do what I did, go to your local auto parts retailer, and buy a transmission cooler for under $50 and run that? You can adapt the stock lines to whatever you need.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
That's one of the three options I've got open to me: DIY copper cooler, GTE cooler or a small aftermarket cooler.

If I go aftermarket I'm thinking something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Derale-13222-...dp/B000CJ48YS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive

If I went copper it'd be approx the same size and shape as the stock GTE PS cooler although it should cool better too.

I can't imagine swapping in a stock GTE cooler, the cost of a used one along with shipping would put it at the price of the previously mentioned options.

Whatever i go with it's going to need to be mounted in the pre89 nose vent area... so, think small. I don't know which would be more effective though, a length of copper approx 2.5' doubled over (so 5') or a 1' doubled over (so 2' effective) with cooling fins. It depends on the area of the fins and the efficiency of the material used in the fins. I think they'd at least be on par with one another.

Last edited:

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
As long as the copper has a OD of 3/8 it should work. I am guessing around (4) 90 degree elbows, and 6-8 feet of copper pipe, some solder and a tourch. Less then $10. Paint it black and I think it will work. Post some pics when you make it;)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Can't imagine why I'd want to insulate a cooler with paint...

I'm going to go the route of a premade rail type cooler. Does anyone know the diameter of the stock cooler's pipe? I think I'm going to cut it off up front and use it to feed the rail cooler to avoid having to bend the tubing all over.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Nope... at least not that I recall... it's just apparently been that long. No idea on the diameter of the stock cooler?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
-8 hose fits over the tubing...the problem is PermaCool rail coolers use -6 male fittings. You'll have to get a female -6 to male -8 adapter.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Thanks, I'm hoping to just find a cooler with hose barbs... just trying to find something they carry on Amazon so I can finally use up a gift certificate I've had on there for some time.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
To prevent oxidization? So paint poses no resistance to radiant energy, fine, but what you got against patina? ;)

Thanks for the measurement.