different tire tread in the rear

LamaRossa

One and Only LamaRossa
Apr 6, 2005
ct

Anyone ever experience two different tread pattern in the rear?????

i just got a few free tires and they are all different tread pattern

want to throw them in the rear

any danger????

thanx

lamarossa

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Umm... 2 different tires will make for an exciting handling experience. Besides that, and what IJ said... go for it!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
As long as the construction is the same ie: Radial/Radial and NOT Radial/Crossply it shouldn't be a huge issue handling wise and I think all of Lam's home depot stuff would fall off under G's high enough for it to be noticable so will act as a limiter of sorts ;)

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
IJ. said:
Make sure the rolling diameter is the same or it'll tear up the LSD clutches

bingo.

in all reality, no two tires of the same size from different mfgs. are exactly the same. so to run 2 diff tires in the rear is just stupid....unless of course you're TRYING to fry your diff.

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
His diff probably took its own life long ago, so go for it! :p

Running a tire with a different speed rating on either side will definitely cause some funny handling issues.

The moral of this story is: If you're bent on using them, find two with the same speed rating that are visually identical in diameter. If you're worried at all about your diff, just throw them on ebay.

LamaRossa

One and Only LamaRossa
Apr 6, 2005
ct
thank you gentleman

i took the best tires of the pile and went to buy the same tire so the rear is safe

255 40 17 fuzion zri

what about the front

if i find two tires almost same tread pattern and height anyone ever had two different type of tires in the front axle?????????????????????????