Deciphering Toyota Engine and Chassis Codes

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
origionally posted by ma71supraturbo:

You may have noticed people throwing around obscure letter/number combinations like JZA70, MA71, 1JZ-GTE, 7M-GE etc, but to you these codes mean nothing. If that is the case, look no further than this FAQ.

Let’s first start out with Toyota Chassis Codes. While they may seem totally random especially if you are comparing two different models, Toyota used a system fairly consistently that allows one to easily identify the vehicle and equipment based on each digit. Perhaps the most common Toyota chassis code belongs to the Toyota Corolla GTS (AE86). (In Japan, and in trendy US suburbs, people often abbreviate this to the “hachi roku” – Japanese for “8 6.”)

The "A" stands for the engine -- 4A-GE
The "E" is Toyota's chassis designation for the Corolla
The "86" is the chassis designation for those model years (1983-1987 Toyota Corolla GTS. The lower-grade model was called the 85 -- hachi-go -- in Japan).

Now look at another car from that time period sharing the same engine -- the 1st generation MR2 (AW11):

"A" for the 4A-GE engine
"W" for the MR2 chassis
"11" for the boxy chassis from 85-89

Here’s the 2nd generation MR2 (SW20 / 21):

"S" for the 3SG(T)E (the NA car had a 5S-FE in the US, but still was an "S" block)
“W” for the MR2 chassis
"20" or "21" depending on turbo or NA for 1991-1998

Starting to get the hang of it? Now lets move on to the 1st generation Supra (MA46 / 47):

“M” is for the 4M-E engine used in 1979-1980 (1981 engines got a 5M-E)
“A” is the Supra chassis.
“46” is for the 1979-1980 4M-E equipped Mk1’s, while “47” is for the 1981 models with the 5M-E

Second generation Supra (MA61 / 67, GA61):

“M” is for the 5M-GE engine, “G” is for the 1G-GE engine offered in other countries
“A” is the Supra chassis.
“61” is the Mk2 chassis for non-US use, “67” were U.S. Mk2's (“61” can still be found on the chassis though)

Whew, time for our beloved Mk3’s (MA70 / 71, GA70, JZA70)

"M" for the 7M-G(T)E, “G” is for the 1G-GTE engine option in other countries, and “JZ” is for the 1JZ-GTE engine offered in other countries.
"A" is the Supra chassis
"70" was the 86.5-92 chassis (71 being turbo, but only on the VIN – at least in the US)

And the car that many of us love to hate, the 4th generation Supra (JZA80):

”JZ” for the 2JZ-G(T)E
“A” for the Supra chassis
“80” for the 93.5-98 body style (they did not delineate turbo/non)

So what about these engine codes? The first digit (a number) denotes the generation of the engine. The "M" series engine, for example, dates back to the Toyota 2000GT and had been used in many sporty/luxury cars for the better part of 30 years. Each new number denotes some change to the engine. For example, the Supra saw these “M” engines from 1979 to 1992:

4M-E 2.6 liter SOHC 2-valve head (1979-1980)
5M-E 2.8 liter SOHC 2-valve head (1981)
5M-GE 2.8 liter DOHC 2-valve head (1982-1986)
6M-GE 3.0 liter DOHC 2-valve head (not used in Supras, but found in JDM Crowns in the mid 80’s)
7M-G(T)E 3.0 liter DOHC 4-valve head (1986.5-1992)

In contrast, the "JZ" series only has two versions to date (and by the looks of current trends, probably will only have two):

1JZ-G(T)E 2.5 liter DOHC 4-valve head (1991-1992 – but used later in other models)
2JZ-G(T)E 3.0 liter DOHC 4-valve head (1993.5-1998 – also used in other models)

Typically Toyota will stroke an engine to achieve a new block number, but often head changes go along with it. For example, the 1JZ head actually flows better than the 2JZ head, but isn't as nice on emissions. Since the 2JZ was coming to the states, the head had to be changed…

The next digit(s) (a letter/ letters) in the engine code refers to the block itself. "M," "A," and "S," are examples of single digit blocks. Toyota started using two digit block names in the early 90's including: “JZ” and “UZ” (Toyota/Lexus V

The next digit (the first after the dash) designates the head design. "G" is the DOHC performance head, generally with a more aggressive valve angle for higher rpm/more power. "F" is the low-end torque and fuel-efficient DOHC head, with less aggressive valve angles. If there is neither an “F” or “G” in that digit, then the engine is a SOHC model (probably chain-driven). Toyota did make a few OHV engines, but they are much older and by now quite rare.

The next digit is for forced induction. "T" denotes a turbocharged model, but unlike Nissan, Toyota does not add an extra "t" for twin turbo versions. If the engine is supercharged (88-89 MR2 and some Toyota Previa Minivans, for example), it will have a “Z” instead.

The last digit "E," means the car has electronic fuel injection. If the “E” is missing, the car is carbureted.

A recap of the M-series history:

4M-E 2.6 liter SOHC 2-valve head with EFI
5M-E 2.8-liter SOHC 2-valve head with EFI
5M-GE 2.8-liter DOHC 2-valve head with EFI
6M-GE 3.0 liter DOHC 2-valve head with EFI
7M-G(T)E 3.0 liter DOHC 4-valve head with EFI

Another example is the “22R” engine commonly found in older four cylinder Toyota Pickups. If the engine is a 22R-E, it has EFI. If it is just a 22R, you’re stuck with a carb.

There are also a few archaic designations that you might come across, especially if the engine is from the late 70’s or early 80’s. A “C” in the engine code means that engine met California emissions requirements (e.g. 4A-GEC). An “L” in the engine code means that engine was mounted transversely (e.g. 4A-GELC). And a “U” means that engine was equipped with an oxygen sensor so it could only be run on unleaded gas (e.g. 4A-ELU).

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
I'm pretty sure the "u" is lowercase and was for Japanese emissions...

Also, in the second series of codes (after the -, i.e GTE part of 7M-GTE) if there is an S, (before the E but after the head type) then it has direct injection

MX-73: "X" chassis was the 5M Cressida, although not to be confused with the new "X-body" that Toyota recently released in Japan.

MX-83: 7M Cressida.

90, 91, 92 and 93 were the only years the 1JZ was offered in the Supra, however there are many other cars in Japan that had them for much longer (Aristo, Mark II, Soarer, etc.). Yes MkIII's did last until 93 over there...thats why the MkIV is a 93.5..so if you have a JDM 93 Supra, its like saying you have an 86 Supra: you have to specify.

And to my surprise, the 1JZ (unlike the 2JZ) is still very much in use today! I personally like occasionally browsing Toyota's Japanese site to see what we may never get, and through hours of browsing have found that the "Mark II Blit" comes with either the single turbo VVTi 1JZ-GTE, 1JZ-FSE (direct injection N/A), 1JZ-GE, and even the 1G-FE! Check it out for yourself: http://toyota.jp/mark2blit/dynamism/engin/index.html

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Orion ZyGarian said:
I'm pretty sure the "u" is lowercase and was for Japanese emissions...

Also, in the second series of codes (after the -, i.e GTE part of 7M-GTE) if there is an S, (before the E but after the head type) then it has direct injection

MX-73: "X" chassis was the 5M Cressida, although not to be confused with the new "X-body" that Toyota recently released in Japan.

MX-83: 7M Cressida.

91 and 92 were the only years the 1JZ was offered in the Supra, however there are many other cars in Japan that had them for much longer (Aristo, Mark II, Soarer, etc.) and to my surprise, the 1JZ (unlike the 2JZ) is still very much in use today! I personally like occasionally browsing Toyota's Japanese site to see what we may never get, and through hours of browsing have found that the "Mark II Blit" comes with either the single turbo VVTi 1JZ-GTE, 1JZ-FSE (direct injection N/A), 1JZ-GE, and even the 1G-FE! Check it out for yourself: http://toyota.jp/mark2blit/dynamism/engin/index.html

JZA70 was offered in 90-93 model years (manufactured in 1989-1993). :)

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
In WesternAustralia Under the low volumes import law there are a lot of 2nd hand car importers.One importer where i bought my supra had the compliance permits to import and comply mk3 supras ga70,ma70and jz70.Fortunately or unfortunately i bought mine before that had imported the jz70 but after hearing from emails the amount of problems they encounter a bhg seems like a walk in the park(after u have done it 3times)West aust has many 1j supras and goin quite cheap now.the pricing averages around aud$12-19k. $19k for a bombed out one while ma70's are around aud$8k.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
i paid 18k for my 90jap import back in 99.53k,targa,nice n celan and was the one that scared me the most out of all the ones i test drove.There was a grpA 89? i think but there wasnt much paperwork for it so i gave it a miss,a few weeks after i had second thoughts on it and went back to see it and it was sold to some person in SA for 28k.