ct26 under the knife

tylwld

Oct 21, 2011
Ohio, United States
I am rebuilding the turbo off a 7mgte I picked up for $100 over christmas break and I was wondering what rebuild kit is legitimate and comes with all the parts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read so far a kit should include Journal Bearings, Piston Ring for Turbine End, O-Ring for Seal Plate, Thrust Bearing, Thrust Collar, Piston Ring for Compressor End, Thrust Spacer, Locknuts for Shaft and the O-Ring for the Compressor Housing. Should I be weary of ebay or no?
Thanks, Tyler.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
No eBay, the front seal plate won't even fit right, plus the material is was inferior.

The bearings come in different sizes, just like rods or mains, they have undersized and oversized bearings. eBay just includes STD sizing. If the tolerancing isn't done right; I wouldn't expect that thing to last as long as you would like it to.

tylwld

Oct 21, 2011
Ohio, United States
Okay, thanks for the insight. So I should take it to a machine shop or turbo shop and have then check the bore so I know what type of bearing I need? Where would I go about finding a reliable kit? I have never seen any with a choice of bearing sizes.