clutch won't disengage

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Check to ensure both master and slave cylinder are the correct parts. If the master is a smaller diameter or stroke, you won't get enough fluid movement for disengagement. Same with slave, if it's to large, not enough travel.
Also, re bleed by cracking the hose fitting at the master cylinder and pumping some fluid through, I find brand new clutch masters can be particularly difficult to get the last air bubbles out of for some reason, I think it's the relative lack of pressure and fluid volume moved.
Another move could be trying a simple gravity bleed. It often works when everything else fails.

z8dmc

Nov 9, 2008
San Diego
The flywheel is stepped, flywheel, clutch and all other parts were working fine before i rebuilt the motor.
The flywheel is stock and has been machined about 3000 miles ago.
I did not bench bleed the master, so i will bleeding the master by opening the hose as Typhoon suggested.

The clutch fork is pulling the hub out far enough for the clutch to disengage. I will take some pics of it.

Thank you for all the high quality advice, I appreciate it a lot.

z8dmc

Nov 9, 2008
San Diego
The master and cylinder are aisen from driftmotion and it seems like the clutch fork has more than enough travel.
I will get pictures tomorrow.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Did you adjust the master cylinder linkage?

You dont always have to bench bleed. A little trick for the clutch my dad taught me is to push the slave with a pry bar. This forces fluid up into the master cylinder through the compensation port. Just did it the other day.

z8dmc

Nov 9, 2008
San Diego
I believe its an internal issue with my tranny. Nothing was wrong clutch wise, lines, pedal or anything else.
Im planning on rebuilding the r154.
Thanks everyone for the help.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
How can it be a tranny problem?

I'm having the same problem with a brand new SPEC stage 3 kit.
So the only difference is the clutch used and that my slave cylinder is not brand new, only rebuilt.

I installed the spec disc with my old stock pressure plat (PP) and that combination works fine. Can you test your setup with another PP?

z8dmc

Nov 9, 2008
San Diego
Thanks guys for all the responses. The problem occurred after my rebuild.
I will rebuild the transmission replacing seals synchros and bearings.
Hopefully this solves the problem.