cam gears not moving

86.5supraturbo

BOOST FREAK
Nov 27, 2008
Dixon, Illinois, United States
Ok, so my timing belt broke when i went to start my supra and after i changed it i was turning the crank shaft and the timing gears arent moving. I put a wrench on the timing gears to try to turn them and the bolt just keeps getting tighter they wont turn, any suggestions or anyone know anything? LMK PLEASEEE thanx

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
You must have the belt routed wrong. Double check how you put it in. Don't try to turn the engine over(or the cam gears with the belt attached) with the cam gear bolts.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
So both of the cams stopped at top dead center, when the belt broke? Or how did you get the new belt on?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
GrimJack;1759790 said:
Or the belt broke because something froze one or both of the cams...
Would be my guess, There is minimal load on the belt with the stock Valve springs, you can spin a Cam with a cordless drill.

mk3_7m;1759932 said:
Better open up your rocket covers and check inspect the cams.
Or he could open a Cam Cover and see if he can turn a Cam with the bolt on it's end as our Engines don't have "Rockers" so no "Rocker" Covers ;)

86.5supraturbo

BOOST FREAK
Nov 27, 2008
Dixon, Illinois, United States
Ok so my car started and ran fine, i changed the cam gears and put the belt back on the gears and tightened the tensioner and went to start it and it just cranked over, found out the belt broke. i changed the belt and i obviously had to take the harmonic balancer off and lower timing cover, i put all that back together and when i went to tighten the harmonic balancer the cam gears werent turning and a lower pulley was skipping teeth on the belt. I tried turning the cam gears and they just tighten more and more, i pulled the cam covers off and dont see anything wrong. I have never done anything in this sort to know what to look for or what im doing and never have i heard of this happening. one second itsa fine n the next they wont move.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
IJ.;1760019 said:
Would be my guess, There is minimal load on the belt with the stock Valve springs, you can spin a Cam with a cordless drill.

Or he could open a Cam Cover and see if he can turn a Cam with the bolt on it's end as our Engines don't have "Rockers" so no "Rocker" Covers ;)

Ah i apologize >.<, I grew a bad habit from my british friends calling it rocker boxes and it comes out as "rocket" from them.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1760038 said:
Did you slide the lower cam pully off the crank at all?

86.5supraturbo;1760756 said:
Yes i did take the pulley off, i had to to get the timing cover off.
Not talking about the Damper...

mk3_7m;1760761 said:
Ah i apologize >.<, I grew a bad habit from my british friends calling it rocker boxes and it comes out as "rocket" from them.
LOL you I can come hurt it person!! :evil2:

Stop it!!

TweeT91109;1760777 said:
By any chance did the "woodriff", or "key way" fall out and you not notice? That needs to be in the inside pulley behind the balancer to move with the crank.
If the damper was torqued correctly to 195 ft/lbs it wouldn't matter apart from location the key doesn't drive the pully.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
IJ.;1760794 said:
If the damper was torqued correctly to 195 ft/lbs it wouldn't matter apart from location the key doesn't drive the pully.

well when I installed mine I made sure to get all of these new, cause I had no idea what they were, but after some research...I thought they were important but I guess not... :(

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
TweeT91109;1760805 said:
well when I installed mine I made sure to get all of these new, cause I had no idea what they were, but after some research...I thought they were important but I guess not... :(
They are important, believe me. And they don't cost much, so it sounds like you made the right choice AND didn't break the bank.

I've always followed the mantra that if it's not expensive, why not buy a new one to replace the 20 year old part on the car? It's not like you're giving up food for your kids over a $1 part.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
TweeT91109;1760805 said:

I was just talking about this specific case and the concept that if the Key was missing the cams would have enough load to slip the bottom pully on the crank.

This as I pointed out is not the case if the Damper is torqued down, even more so with stock Valve springs, you can spin the cams with a cordless drill ;)

I'm with Dave (GrimJack) I always replace as much as possible if it's not stupidly expensive, it's the details that kill these engines.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
Seems weird that you installed new belt but can turn the cams
When belt broke did you line cams and crank up or just threw a new belt on?

With the belt off(as ij pointed out)
It's pretty easy to turn cams
Heck you can do it by hand
Becareful when cam snaps so you don't pinch a finger

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk