CajunKenny's Build Thread

TTsupra

Nov 11, 2009
california
CajunKenny;1258254 said:
About me:

My name is Kenny Nichols and I am a full-blooded cajun. You've heard that song "Born on the Bayou"? Well, that's me! I was born on Bayou Bienvenue in Louisiana. I moved to Washington when I was 17 for college and stayed ever since.

I was born and raised around racing. My uncle was featured in "Hot Rod Magazine" for breaking several records with his car called "NovaCaine". He then went on to racing drag boats. My other uncle also raced boats and my dad was into 'Circle Track' racing.

My first introduction to MKIII's was a friend of mine took me for a ride in his 89 Turbo. I was instantly hooked! I had owned a lot of V8's and been in some fast cars; but, the spool of the trubo did it for me!

I searched for about 4 months and found my first Supra. It was a Burgandy 87 Turbo Hard Top. It had TEMS and grey interior. I drove it for about a month then got a rod knock. The car then sat for 4 years in my garage until I finally joined SM. Through here, a now good friend of mine, contacted me and helped get the car back on the road. About a year later, I lost control in the rain and totalled the car. It was close to the sadest day of my life...

p1458089_1.jpg

4 months later, I found my absolutely favorite of all MKIII's. A Black 91, 5 Speed, TEMS, Shadow Grey Leather Interior, and Factory Sun-Roof. I had to have it! Two weeks after I bought it, I blew the HG. I have since fixed that and done a few other things to the car.

p1458089_2.jpg

p1458089_3.jpg

p1458089_4.jpg

p1458089_5.jpg

My BHG also blew my Heater Core, a hose, and DESTROYED my radiator. And I mean Destroyed!! When I pulled it out, it was 'Oval' shaped and the core was split in two!

After putting her back together with the HKS MHG she was supposed to have when I bought her, I found that 5 of the 7 exhaust manifold bolts had been stripped. To make matters worse, they POORLY installed Heli-Coils. I re-drilled and re-tapped all of the bolt holes and installed solid thread inserts. I had the Heater Core rebuilt and installed a Koyo Rad. Muuuuch better now! :)
p1458089_6.jpg

hey bra i got the same blow off valve what brand is urs?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
TurboXS. I LOVED the way it sounds; but, had to change it because it wouldn't hold anything over 12psi. It came with the car; but, didn't include any harder springs.

I am now with the HKS style. I like the design of the SSQV better; but, don't like the sound that much.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I haven't been doing much because I've been sick. Now that I'm feeling better, Turkey Day is approaching and I'll be tied up with family stuff.

I'm done polishing on the Timing Cover. I didn't go all out on it because you can't hardly see the thing while in the car anyway. Plus I'm toying with the idea of having my buddy powdercoat it for me. Here's as it is now...

p1458108_1.jpg

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Good news regarding the tranny! My buddy (a transmission guy) is finally slow enough at his shop to squeeze my rebuild in under the table. Gotta love the hook-ups!!

I was going to do it myself; but, since I have never done one, I feel a lot more comfortable letting him do it. Not to mention the amount of time it's going to save me!

A couple pics of the tranny with the Bell Housing off. The next pics after these should show a CLEEEEEEN Tranny! :)

p1458114_1.jpg

p1458114_2.jpg

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Here are the tranny rebuild parts. Compliments of Driftmotion!

What you see here is their standard rebuild kit along with all of the Marlin Crawler Goodies! MC 1 to 2 Shift Fork, MC Chromoly (spelling?) Bearing Plate, MC Chromoly Thrust Washer, and MC Bushings.

This should make for a Stout Tranny!

p1458125_1.jpg

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
TTsupra;1458124 said:
whats the most i can get out of a stock ct 26 i got it into a 10psi and that turboxs valve and a filter

The stock CT will get you good power. A turbo upgrade is the last thing I would do. There are more important things to do first. Here's a list of what I would do, and in this order...

Head Gasket
ARP Headstuds/Bolts
Intake
Exhaust
Wideband
(if you get an AFC at this point, you can get away with a mild tune)
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
550cc Injectors & Lexus AFM
AFC (of your choice)
Tune
Turbo (of your choice)
Re-Tune

:)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
At 294 I had the following:

Metal HG
ARP Studs
Intake
Exhaust
FPR
20G Turbo
And a stock fuel system

(everything but the FPR and MHG came with the car)

I could've put down more power; but, didn't want to push the stock fuel system any harder.

If I was starting from scratch, I would follow the list I provided.

TTsupra

Nov 11, 2009
california
aight fo sho its cuz wen i got the car it came wit that all i did to it is conver everything into a 91 and a new trany and engine but i put the same goodies the old engine it had. im thinking about puting and intercooler so i wont over heat the turbo that much

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Ah! You've got a little ways to go then.

Well, I'm sure you know all about our Head Gasket issues. You've seen pics of that right here in my build thread! ;)

Focus on getting your HG done and careful with that boost until you do so! :)

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
TTsupra;1458428 said:
ya 7m hg known to be bad

There's be a couple people thats said the factory toyota headgasket is good as long as you have arps to hold it. If i remember right they said stock hg is good for 18psi with arp studs. One of the reasons the 7m's headgaskets always blow in stock form is because they were torqued down to 58lbs when really they should be down to 72lbs-85lbs.

But either way, your best bet is gonna be to with a MHG *metal headgasket* and arp head studs (rather then bolts)

Sorry I had to chime in, because i kno this stuff lol