CajunKenny's Build Thread

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
From the factory they were under-torq’d. Toyota had a recall to increase the torque to around 72 ftlbs. I don’t remember the exact number though.

Aside from that, the next biggest destroyer of the stock Head Gasket is Detonation. This happens because people turn up the boost without having supporting fuel mods and/or a good tune. Every car is different; but, once you start getting into the 14psi range with a stock fuel system and stock HG, you are risking a BHG.

With all supporting mods AND a good tune, good power can be achieved with an OEM HG.

So, I wouldn’t necessarily say that the 7M HG is bad. It just HAS to be done right! No exceptions! :)

TTsupra

Nov 11, 2009
california
CajunKenny;1458490 said:
From the factory they were under-torq’d. Toyota had a recall to increase the torque to around 72 ftlbs. I don’t remember the exact number though.

Aside from that, the next biggest destroyer of the stock Head Gasket is Detonation. This happens because people turn up the boost without having supporting fuel mods and/or a good tune. Every car is different; but, once you start getting into the 14psi range with a stock fuel system and stock HG, you are risking a BHG.

With all supporting mods AND a good tune, good power can be achieved with an OEM HG.

So, I wouldn’t necessarily say that the 7M HG is bad. It just HAS to be done right! No exceptions! :)

aight koo koo so where u get them black signal light covers?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
The tranny is apart. Nothing unusual for a ~140k tranny. All syncros are floppy-juh-loppy and most of the bearings and seals are worn. All clearances are within spec. Some of them are borderline; but, should fall back into spec when the new inards are in.

Here's some tranny pics.

The first one is a pic of an empty and clean gear box.

p1459756_1.jpg

Here's the rest of it.

p1459756_2.jpg

p1459756_3.jpg

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Here are the parts that have been thru the parts washer so far. Many many dirty parts to go.

Some of these will be powdercoated before reinstallation.

p1460265_1.jpg

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Well, I haven't done it yet either. I was going to; but, my buddy finally agreed to do it for me. :) Up to that point I was going to do it.

I did go to his shop and watch a little bit. He told me that it's like pulling an engine. Do it once and you're not scared anymore. And after watching him, I believe it!

It's not bad at all. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 4. The hardest part is removing the gears and seals. Press them back in to place, double check clearances, and put the case back together.

It will hopefully be finished sometime next week.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Here's a shot of the new bearings installed.

p1472153_1.jpg

And here's the crank back in and everything all buttoned up. The assembly rotates nicely. No binding. That's a good thing! :)

p1472153_2.jpg