Break up!

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I thought it was 500k with any fuel quality. Just kidding. I would go with the KISS method. Just eliminate a basic maintanence item. Or buy and electronic fuel pressure gauge so you can watch while driving.

Any stored codes?

BTW what is up with inst cluster the first few seconds of video. Light going off and on and popping even making speedo needle bounce. That is weird.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
For the sake of absurdity, toyota claimed its fuel filter to be 1 million miles or lifetime. Nowa days we know this to be total toast. Particularly with todays fuel, change your fuel filter every 50k or earlier as needed.

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
If ruled out all other problems I would check igf and igt, iga, igb at ignitor and and igf and igt at ecu cps wiring common problems also try running secondary ground from ignitor but sounds more like a cps issue have you tried another yet also inspect harness where it goes over the exhaust and behind the head lot of heat there can cause some wiring problems there also.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I'll have to get a fuel pressure gauge on my car at some point. Still doubtful on the fuel filter being at fault, even if it isn't a lifetime filter. (I still say it has a much longer use life than the standard can filters which most people run to 100k+..) BUT that's beside the point.

I will run out and check over all the ignition wiring. I have a feeling I will find some strands showing in my ignitor connectors or coil connectors.. After all, I found the exact same thing on the coil side of things, and the CPS connector, both sides.

I have a loose connection with my LED water temp replacement bulb. Sometimes tapping on the glass makes it stay on.. I just wanted it to be lit up so people knew I wasn't beating the hell out of a cold engine.

ALSO, the secondary ground to the igniter has been done.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I agree that the CPS could be the problem could even be AFM At least they are the two most expensive ones. A good tech with fast oscilloscope can test for Ne or G signal break up at cps if test good then at ecu.

I am not so sure the breakup is ignition related. IMO . Could also be AFM related. Good luck.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I'm honestly thinking it's something with timing. That's why I was wondering what the timing map looked like.. but I don't think 5000 rpm on up was all that different from the other rpm points at WOT

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
It could be timing but if it don't change under boost and not boost conditions one would think you should see some kind of change under different conditions because under boost it I belive that the ecu will start to retard timing a bit someone please correct me if I am wrong here with i know that is what we do with standalone.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Are you saying that you think the timing map of the ecu is the problem?

IMO. Going any further w/o fuel filter is not a wise idea. You do not have an electronic fuel pressure gauge so how do you know fuel pressure. IE: in car reading. I also know that you don't have a diagnostic fuel pressure gauge hooked into fuel system and taped to windshield. Big $ to get banjo bolt set up. All IMO This is a Toyota. One should always go for the simple answers. Good luck.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
No I think something is causing the timing to retard. And trust me, if it was running lean enough to break up before red line I wouldn't have pistons anymore.

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
super51fan;2020931 said:
Are you saying that you think the timing map of the ecu is the problem?

no what I am saying is that under boost it starts pulling very small amounts timing out to try to eliminate detonation and and heat from to much advance but his condition is not changing with or without boost so I am suggesting some type of mechanical part or electronic part but I am used to more standalone type stuff than this ecu not even sure if it has this technology being how old the car is its self

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
morganson;2020943 said:
Retarded timing will cause no power but not break up. IE bad knock sensor wiring will turn our cars into a prius.
Hey, if it was retarded enough.. Lol but yeah I really am banking on the wiring being split. Then it's just a couple dollars worth of weather packs off Amazon lol

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
some guys already got to it but you REALLY need to get a fuel pressure gauge on it. wideband would be good too. I've also heard the CPS can do ALL sorts of funky things if it's malfunctioning

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Like I said, wide band will be coming with the next paycheck. But I really don't see why. If there was a fuel delivery problem.. then it would break up a lot worse under boost than it does free revving.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Good news? Bad news? I don't know. My visual inspection of the wiring proved that it's actually in really nice shape. Wires are really flexible, with no cracking or anything... Soooo I guess I'll figure out a setup for a fuel pressure gauge. Anyone know the thread pitch of the CSI port in the fuel rail? Haha

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Wideband is on it's way, as is the fuel pressure banjo bolt... Any other ideas? I threw a spare CPS in just to see if it would change anything.. And you can guess the outcome...

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Well.. it's not fuel... Wideband showed , well rich. But not out of specs really. 9.3-9.6 WOT. All the way up until it breaks up, then the wideband goes nuts, obviously lol. That's about where stock fuel runs right? God there could be so much power had by just leaning that pig out by 2 full points.. lol